• Advertisement

Advanced search

Bag/Backpack for Phantom

DJI Phantom Quadcopter General Discussion

Moderators: Adam, OI Photography, gunslinger, ElGuano, LuvMyTJ, DeweyAXD

Bag/Backpack for Phantom

Postby Retroman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:18 pm

So I'm looking for some sort of backpack or bag for the phantom I could use while hiking up to areas to fly. I know you can get some very nice hard cases but they are not suitable for strapping to my back and hiking for hours :)

Anyone got any ideas or links to bags that might do the job? Ideally it would allow the phantom to sit inside with some protection along with the transmitter/batteries/GoPro etc. If it could be in the bag with the props on that's a bonus but not 100 percent necessary.
Retroman

Advertisement

Re: Bag/Backpack for Phantom

Postby diomark » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:12 pm

I haven't tried with the phantom - but with my old quad (draganfly 4), I had a large backpack that had a clip on the back. I had the remote/parts in the bag and just clipped the quad behind it..

Phantoms compact enough that it should work as well as long as you're careful not to bump it too much...

Retroman wrote:So I'm looking for some sort of backpack or bag for the phantom I could use while hiking up to areas to fly. I know you can get some very nice hard cases but they are not suitable for strapping to my back and hiking for hours :)

Anyone got any ideas or links to bags that might do the job? Ideally it would allow the phantom to sit inside with some protection along with the transmitter/batteries/GoPro etc. If it could be in the bag with the props on that's a bonus but not 100 percent necessary.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
diomark

Postby Roadkilt » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 am

I backpack into remote spots with the Phantom stuck on a conventional backpack that has a strecthy holder (for a bike helmet?) that I secure the quad. Extra batteries, transmitter, regular camera, tripod, and I'm good to go.
Roadkilt

Postby Retroman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:31 am

Thanks guys.
But I'd really like the Phantom to be inside a bag rather than on the outside. So strapping it to a bag isn't really what I want (I'm in Ireland and we are having great weather at the moment but rain is never too far away :D ). I might look into some of the larger DSLR type backpacks and see if I can mod one to work with the phantom.
Retroman

Postby GearLoose » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:47 am

Retroman, I pack my Phantom and related items into an ordinary plastic tote, one large enough to fit the quad with props mounted. I put the smaller items and batteries (in a lipo bag) on the bottom of the tote, then a thin layer of foam or soft clothing, and the Phantom on top. (There is still plenty of room, if needed, for more items under the Phantom.)

Once I've packed the tote I lash it to an empty backpack with a few adjustable straps, so that the Phantom is riding upright.

The tote is rain and dust proof, and doesn't hang up on branches when pushing through brush. When I'm ready to fly I use it as a launch pad.

I much prefer this method over packing the Phantom into a soft container, such as inside the backpack. Cheap and easy!
GearLoose

Postby windcharger » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:51 pm

I just strap it to my backpack, used a tiny bungee cord to hold it vertically while the landing skids were buckled into the sides of the backpack, had to remove the props and gimbal too. Placed everything inside the backpack with 2 batteries and the radio..and prayed I didnt fall off the bike! :lol:
windcharger

Postby FrankB » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:56 am

My solution is similar- a doubled back bungi cord attached to a pack that has three compartments: one for fresh batteries, the second for spent batteries, and the third for the controller and spare parts.

FrankB

Postby DaveT1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:33 am

You might consider a camera backpack. I think they have the protection that you are looking for and have a modular system that allows for easy customization. The only drawback is that you have to remove gimbals and landing gear. I've included a couple of samples. But just Google camera backpacks to look at the wide variety.

http://www.lowepro.com/transit-backpack or http://www.tamrac.com/products/expedition7x/
DaveT1

Postby yalag » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:16 pm

I'm also looking for a better way to carry my phantom to places. Anyone else found anything that's better than a strap on the backpack? Also, if that's the way to go, don't you have to take the props off as well every time? Is that even a good practise?
yalag

Postby PTCX » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:36 pm

For carrying the Phantom,TX,batteries etc over a distance or rugged terrain,I have bought a Yellowstone DSLR backpack that all the gear fits into neatly and it has adjustable straps on the front of it for a tripod that hold the Phantom with skids and props attached.

Enough space for batteries,props under TX,ND filters,side pockets for FPV goggles and tools,top pocket for filter adapters and spare SD cards and more.
Cost about $65au.
PTCX

Next

• Advertisement

Return to General Discussion