• Advertisement

Advanced search

An open Letter to DJI ( Please read)

DJI Phantom Quadcopter General Discussion

Moderators: Adam, OI Photography, gunslinger, ElGuano, LuvMyTJ, DeweyAXD

An open Letter to DJI ( Please read)

Postby hidaven » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am

As a corporate attorney I feel compelled to write this letter. In the last few days I had a very experienced multi copter friend loose a Phantom due to a "fly away" I just read of another forum friend who had the same experience yesterday. I HIGHLY suggest you make yourselves heard if you experienced a loss of total control with this unit. Yes, there are definitely problems associated with user error but there are just as many due to faulty hardware/ firmware etc. These fly aways are still a problem and DJI has not addressed this issue in a timely manner period.

My letter is as follows:


" These fly aways are pathetic! There are forums dedicated to fly aways with these phantoms and your company has done NOTHING to date to correct it! I'm a corporate attorney in the state of NJ and you have my word that If one of these fly aways results in damage or injury I will bankrupt your company in court! I am compiling all the anecdotal and forum data as well as names and numbers of people experiencing total loss of control.

Your dealers are dissuading people from using your latest firmware as its UNSTABLE. Yes, I'm sure there is some user error associated with these fly aways but many seasoned RC pilots are experiencing random, unexplained fly aways and a total loss of control! Your hardware/ software/ firmware is NOT functioning correctly PERIOD. Either get this under control ASAP and address your customers concerns or I promise you, you will be headed for a legal battle that will wipe you out financially. Do not view this as a threat, but a promissory letter of intent.

Below is a link to a thread. Do some reading for God sakes, in the meantime my flying friends and I will dissuade as many people as we can to steer VERY clear of your offerings!"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872000
hidaven
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:22 am

Advertisement

Re: An open Letter to DJI ( Please read)

Postby CameraGuy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:51 am

Here is a link to a thread I started at RC Groups. I would STRONGLY recommend you avoid that forum. They kicked the crap out of me. They are DJI user haters over there. I have a very complete video about my experience.

Here's the thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1955918

Here is a video documenting my flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LRwOeeHdlg

I also sent a letter to DJI - got no response, it's been almost a week.

If I can help, please let me know.

Darren
CameraGuy
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: An open Letter to DJI ( Please read)

Postby dgrund » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:38 pm

I just lost mine on saturday after upgrading the firmware. I've been flying it every day for three months with no issue, upgraded the firmware, went through all of the usual start up procedures, everything seemed fine, motors started, confirmed GPS home point, and throttled up to take off, it climbed uncontrollably until out of eyesight. tried to switch to atti from gps, switch to manual, switch controller off and on to trigger failsafe, nothing worked. Now I'm out 1100$ (phantom + camera), and anxiously hoping it didn't crash through somebodies car/hurt anybody wherever it landed.
dgrund
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: An open Letter to DJI ( Please read)

Postby mercillus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:56 pm

I lost one already. My second one tried a fly away on latest FW. I was lucky enough to have found it on a roof.. Mine is grounded until they fix it.
mercillus
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:46 am
Location: Leander, Texas USA

Re: An open Letter to DJI ( Please read)

Postby Alex » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:49 pm

CameraGuy wrote:Here is a link to a thread I started at RC Groups. I would STRONGLY recommend you avoid that forum. They kicked the crap out of me. They are DJI user haters over there. I have a very complete video about my experience.

Here's the thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1955918

Here is a video documenting my flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LRwOeeHdlg

I also sent a letter to DJI - got no response, it's been almost a week.

If I can help, please let me know.

Darren


Question, I watched your video and I was struck by the prop loss. I've crashed a few times and I've destroyed a few props. The fact that your prop nut came off and you found the prop lying nearby leads me to think your prop came loose, rose up the shaft and the motor effectively lost lift on that corner. You said it yourself in the video, you can hear the motor pitch change.

There's really no way or reason that the prop nut should have come loose.

Did you check the prop nuts prior to flight?
Alex
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:30 am

Re: An open Letter to DJI ( Please read)

Postby Darrell1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:36 pm

hidaven wrote:As a corporate attorney I feel compelled to write this letter. In the last few days I had a very experienced multi copter friend loose a Phantom due to a "fly away" I just read of another forum friend who had the same experience yesterday. I HIGHLY suggest you make yourselves heard if you experienced a loss of total control with this unit. Yes, there are definitely problems associated with user error but there are just as many due to faulty hardware/ firmware etc. These fly aways are still a problem and DJI has not addressed this issue in a timely manner period.

My letter is as follows:


" These fly aways are pathetic! There are forums dedicated to fly aways with these phantoms and your company has done NOTHING to date to correct it! I'm a corporate attorney in the state of NJ and you have my word that If one of these fly aways results in damage or injury I will bankrupt your company in court! I am compiling all the anecdotal and forum data as well as names and numbers of people experiencing total loss of control.

Your dealers are dissuading people from using your latest firmware as its UNSTABLE. Yes, I'm sure there is some user error associated with these fly aways but many seasoned RC pilots are experiencing random, unexplained fly aways and a total loss of control! Your hardware/ software/ firmware is NOT functioning correctly PERIOD. Either get this under control ASAP and address your customers concerns or I promise you, you will be headed for a legal battle that will wipe you out financially. Do not view this as a threat, but a promissory letter of intent.

Below is a link to a thread. Do some reading for God sakes, in the meantime my flying friends and I will dissuade as many people as we can to steer VERY clear of your offerings!"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872000

You're an attorney? Are you sure?

I just think your letter would be more effective if it were more professional and used far fewer exclamation points. Are you sure they have done nothing to correct it? I'm pretty sure, in the past few months, they have had several firmware updates. I guess it is possible those updates had nothing to do with the issue, but you must be a pretty fantastic lawyer to know that as fact.

You think you are powerful enough to bankrupt them with a lawsuit? You don't think they have insurance? Real airplanes have malfunctioned and hundreds of people died, yet no attorney has been able to bankrupt Airbus or Boeing. Or, at least not yet.
Darrell1
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:08 pm

Re: An open Letter to DJI ( Please read)

Postby BruceTS » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Alex wrote:Question, I watched your video and I was struck by the prop loss. I've crashed a few times and I've destroyed a few props. The fact that your prop nut came off and you found the prop lying nearby leads me to think your prop came loose, rose up the shaft and the motor effectively lost lift on that corner. You said it yourself in the video, you can hear the motor pitch change.

There's really no way or reason that the prop nut should have come loose.

Did you check the prop nuts prior to flight?



I have to agree, those props aren't keyed like the stock one's, so if the nut came loose, then the erratic behavior the quad was expressing makes sense. That in no way would be considered a flyaway.... My bad never watched the video the first time around, just assumed it would have been a typical runaway flight.
BruceTS
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:27 pm
Location: Granada Hills CA

Re: An open Letter to DJI ( Please read)

Postby martcerv » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:21 pm

hidaven wrote:I'm a corporate attorney in the state of NJ and you have my word that If one of these fly aways results in damage or injury I will bankrupt your company in court! I am compiling all the anecdotal and forum data as well as names and numbers of people experiencing total loss of control.


One reason I love attorneys is that attitude, all they want is to help everyone by trying to sue everyone for everything they have. And this is only to make everything safer for everyone, they are such kind and loving people :). Its not at all to give them a huge commission while making everyone suffer by forcing ridiculous insurance policies and simply banning most activities. Just in case some thoughtful lawyer wants to save us all by robbing us blind while forcing even more insurance and government regulations for anything we may want to do.

Not that that would happen in this case as its a rc toy and clearly stated for people to not rely entirely on the gps mode. There is no guarantee given saying it wont ever fly away on you, most are user error but at times there are faults with hardware and software. Some may be an issue for the manufacturer but most is simple user responsibility to know their own flying abilities and properly maintain the craft. Worst case scenario if there is an issue and causes a crash that is proven to be 100% fault of DJI they would be responsible for some or all damages incurred in that case and nothing more so please go chase ambulances or something and let us enjoy our hobby without your greed ruining it for everyone.

Did I say I love attorneys? Maybe I was just being sarcastic as Im sure the world would work much better without them as I am yet to see a use for any of them. People should simply learn to accept responsibility for their own actions. This American lawsuit sickness is what makes everything so expensive as we all get charged higher prices for everything, anything with the slightest risk needs such huge insurance policies to help pay these greedy lawyers just in case they see an opportunity to make some money. The onky ones that benefit are the lawyers and insurance companies while everyone else just ends up being screwed over in the process.

Thanks but no thanks and just stay out of this, go and find some honest way to earn a dollar rather then stealing from everyone and ruining our hobby ok.
martcerv
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 7:36 am

Re: An open Letter to DJI ( Please read)

Postby Sac D » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:16 am

+1

This guy was outed on rcgroups too. One post in each forum, then move on. He's efficient but not scoring any points with us.
Image
User avatar
Sac D
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:48 am
Location: Northern California

Re: An open Letter to DJI ( Please read)

Postby slugger » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:13 am

:?
BruceTS wrote:
Alex wrote:Question, I watched your video and I was struck by the prop loss. I've crashed a few times and I've destroyed a few props. The fact that your prop nut came off and you found the prop lying nearby leads me to think your prop came loose, rose up the shaft and the motor effectively lost lift on that corner. You said it yourself in the video, you can hear the motor pitch change.

There's really no way or reason that the prop nut should have come loose.

Did you check the prop nuts prior to flight?



I have to agree, those props aren't keyed like the stock one's, so if the nut came loose, then the erratic behavior the quad was expressing makes sense. That in no way would be considered a flyaway.... My bad never watched the video the first time around, just assumed it would have been a typical runaway flight.
slugger
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Next


  • Advertisement

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andy_con, Google Adsense [Bot], Haugen, Mal_PV2_Ireland and 8 guests

  • Advertisement