Advanced search

Shapeways Parts - Second Coming of the FPV Undertray

DJI Phantom Quadcopter General Discussion

Moderators: Adam, LuvMyTJ, DeweyAXD, OI Photography, gunslinger, ElGuano

• Advertisement
The World's Best Personal Drone

Re: Shapeways Parts - Second Coming of the FPV Undertray

Postby howardmaryon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:48 pm

I think this is a very valuable contribution to the Phantom flyers community. I use a landing leg bracket set fron simonsays via shapeways and I am very impressed with the strength of the plastic material. Perhaps you might like to combine several of your designs into a complete landing leg replacement for the stock dji ones which are the weakest part of the phantom design. The opportunity to radically improve the looks alone is worth the effort. I would certainly buy one if you made it. I am heading over to shapeways now to look at your things.
howardmaryon

Advertisement

Postby GearLoose » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:18 am

Remarkable!

I've just added the Fatshark Predator FPV to my Phantom and was quite unhappy with the lash up of Velcro and doubleback tape required to attach everything. Your add-on components not only match the Phantom's "look & feel" but will greatly simplify installation of FPV.

I'm also headed to Shapeways....
GearLoose

Postby GearLoose » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:07 pm

I'm not sure if I need the full tray + TX holder. I don't have any plans to add a second battery but I do like the way the tray extends the position of the Fatshark transmitter. I'm wondering if the tray could be trimmed down a bit so that it holds both the TX and the filter but nothing else?

Or... could I mount the standalone TX holder and the filter holder directly to the shell with bolts, to make them as secure as possible? I now have both mounted with Velcro and find it difficult, especially with the filter, to easily grasp the filter and hold it firmly while plugging and unplugging the filter cable.

I'm getting more and more interested in a gimbal, which would apparently not work with the full version 2 undertray?
GearLoose

Postby tc tx3 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:44 pm

that looks great I have just ordered mine of shapeways yeah!
tc tx3

Postby tc tx3 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:29 pm

DeweyAXD wrote:
tc tx3 wrote:that looks great I have just ordered mine of shapeways yeah!

First man to take the plunge! I thank you kindly sir!

I am hoping the service you get from Shapeways works well. I can only say good things myself and they normally ship sooner than they say they will. PM me if you want advice on what spacers to buy (don't buy nylon ones. They are light but the threads are too weak). I'd love to see some feedback on here and pics when you get it too. Really really hope you are as pleased with it as I am :D

yeah took your advise and bought some of the brass spacers off ebay, well 20 of them for $12.50 :lol:
tc tx3

Postby GearLoose » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:30 pm

Count me as "impressed".

But, don't you think that most people are going to want to use a gimbal, which obviously puts the total weight into the obesity zone? For general FPV flying and filming, however, this set-up looks very attractive.

Have you tried drawing your batteries down to even lower voltages? If I'm correct, discharging to 80% will not appreciably shorten the life of the battery. With 11.1 volts, you're at 88%. I've been very conservative with flight times. My batteries are usually down to 11.3V, which is 90%. I'm thinking of decreasing the values in the NAZA Assistant and trying longer flights.
GearLoose

• Advertisement

Return to General Discussion