• Advertisement

Advanced search

Liability Insurance For Phantoms/ Drones Impossible to get ?

DJI Phantom Quadcopter General Discussion

Moderators: Adam, OI Photography, gunslinger, ElGuano, LuvMyTJ, DeweyAXD

Re: Liability Insurance For Phantoms/ Drones Impossible to g

Postby rilot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:35 pm

To fly commercially in the UK you must obtain CAA permission and have public liabilities insurance.
To get CAA permission you must pass either the BNUC-S or RPQ-S certifications and submit a flight operations manual. These things are not trivial. I am going through the process myself now. It's expensive (Factor on £1500 to do the course, exams and get CAA permission) then £900 / year for the liabilities insurance. You won't get the liabilities insurance unless you have the CAA permission by the way.

It's a long road.

I word of warning though, don't even think about trying to operate without the required permission. The CAA are cracking down hard and are handing out some pretty heavy fines. Not to mention if you actually hurt someone while operating illegally, then they could literally throw the book at you.

However, based on your previous response to advice given on here with regard to your night club flight, I expect you will just go ahead and do it anyway.
DJI S800 EVO - A2, X140BS gimbal, 2.4GHz ground station.
DJI F550 - Naza-M V2, H3-2D, iOSD mini, Graupner 9x5.
DJI Phantom 2 - H3-2D, iOSD mini
FrSky Taranis
http://www.rilot.co.uk - Achieve an elevated view
rilot

Advertisement

Postby RUSHNREADY DJI » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:29 am

rilot wrote:To fly commercially in the UK you must obtain CAA permission and have public liabilities insurance.
To get CAA permission you must pass either the BNUC-S or RPQ-S certifications and submit a flight operations manual. These things are not trivial. I am going through the process myself now. It's expensive (Factor on £1500 to do the course, exams and get CAA permission) then £900 / year for the liabilities insurance. You won't get the liabilities insurance unless you have the CAA permission by the way.

It's a long road.

I word of warning though, don't even think about trying to operate without the required permission. The CAA are cracking down hard and are handing out some pretty heavy fines. Not to mention if you actually hurt someone while operating illegally, then they could literally throw the book at you.

However, based on your previous response to advice given on here with regard to your night club flight, I expect you will just go ahead and do it anyway.

I did not break no laws then. did not do it for personal gain and I never will, I also think its one big scam all that money just to do what people are doing already its ridiculous, a big con. I find it funny how people can be so stupid and pay it. Like little sheep they jump to the sound of the controlling few. I will fly my phantom responsibly in my eyes to the best i can. I do not need to pay out £2400 to just have there approval no way that is absurd, and liability insurance is just people not taking responsibility for there actions.
RUSHNREADY DJI

Postby rilot » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:13 am

RUSHNREADY DJI wrote:I did not break no laws then. did not do it for personal gain and I never will, I also think its one big scam all that money just to do what people are doing already its ridiculous, a big con. I find it funny how people can be so stupid and pay it. Like little sheep they jump to the sound of the controlling few. I will fly my phantom responsibly in my eyes to the best i can. I do not need to pay out £2400 to just have there approval no way that is absurd, and liability insurance is just people not taking responsibility for there actions.

You asked, so I told you. So, I'm a sheep am I for ensuring that my business isn't fined or sued? OK then, baa!
Go ahead then. You will got no more advice from me or any other professional operators.
If you operate commercially without the required license and permission from the CAA you are breaking the law. Simple as that.
I am assuming you apply the same logic to things like paying your taxes, driving a car or any other laws of this land.

Do yourself, me and others a favour and just fly for fun. If you insist on breaking the law by flying commercially without a license you are just adding to the excuses the CAA will use to further crack down on commercial UAV use.
FrSky Taranis
rilot

Postby The Editor » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:58 am

RUSHNREADY DJI wrote:It Is illegal here in the UK to use one for Commercial gains

No it isn't !! What about BNUC? Pleae do not post misleading posts.

Commercial photography/videography using a UAV is perfectly legal here in the UK and has been for some time providing you hold the relevant certificates permissions and insurance coverage.
The Editor

Postby RUSHNREADY DJI » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:16 am

rilot wrote:
RUSHNREADY DJI wrote:I did not break no laws then. did not do it for personal gain and I never will, I also think its one big scam all that money just to do what people are doing already its ridiculous, a big con. I find it funny how people can be so stupid and pay it. Like little sheep they jump to the sound of the controlling few. I will fly my phantom responsibly in my eyes to the best i can. I do not need to pay out £2400 to just have there approval no way that is absurd, and liability insurance is just people not taking responsibility for there actions.

You asked, so I told you. So, I'm a sheep am I for ensuring that my business isn't fined or sued? OK then, baa!
Go ahead then. You will got no more advice from me or any other professional operators.
If you operate commercially without the required license and permission from the CAA you are breaking the law. Simple as that.
I am assuming you apply the same logic to things like paying your taxes, driving a car or any other laws of this land.

Do yourself, me and others a favour and just fly for fun. If you insist on breaking the law by flying commercially without a license you are just adding to the excuses the CAA will use to further crack down on commercial UAV use.

As i said i will only ever get paid for editing the footage not flying it
RUSHNREADY DJI

Postby rilot » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:03 am

It's still commercial activity as it will be used to promote your business.
There's no way round it I'm afraid.
FrSky Taranis
rilot

Postby RUSHNREADY DJI » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:44 am

rilot wrote:It's still commercial activity as it will be used to promote your business.

What about if you do not get paid with money at all? say like if i was covering a festival i would not pay to go and they would not pay me for the work ?
RUSHNREADY DJI

Postby OI Photography » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:45 am

RUSHNREADY DJI wrote:and liability insurance is just people not taking responsibility for there actions.

You had me going for a while there, but now it's obvious you're just trolling us.
OI Photography

Postby RUSHNREADY DJI » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:19 am

OI Photography wrote:
RUSHNREADY DJI wrote:and liability insurance is just people not taking responsibility for there actions.

You had me going for a while there, but now it's obvious you're just trolling us.

Its true Insurance is paying some one else to take responsibility.

This video is good to watch about License to fly it commercially
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQvUVQdnNw
RUSHNREADY DJI

Postby dkatz42 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:22 am

RUSHNREADY DJI wrote:
rilot wrote:It's still commercial activity as it will be used to promote your business.

What about if you do not get paid with money at all? say like if i was covering a festival i would not pay to go and they would not pay me for the work ?

In the US, both the IRS and the FAA take a very broad view of what constitutes "compensation"--there are plenty of examples out there of folks losing in court. I doubt that most of the clever workarounds ("I just charge for editing!") would stand up to scrutiny if it came down to it (presuming that there were enforceable regs, of course).
dkatz42

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to General Discussion