FPV Booster (V+ Booster) improves Wi-Fi video connection (FPV, First Personal View) performance for DJI Phantom 2 Vision+. It boosts additional 50%-150% FPV range by a single click. We are the inventor of boosting Vision+ aircraft FPV range from an app. FPV Booster V2 equips with a unique interference control algorithm. It outperforms previous V1 and other booster apps additional 50% FPV range by reducing interference from both environment and Vision+ aircraft’s own electronics.
FPV Booster (V+ Booster, Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster) FAQ:
Q1. What is the current version of FPV Booster? How can I find it in Apple App Store or Google Play?
* For iOS, FPV Booster app is classified as "iPhone Only". You may search "fpv booster" in App Store, or click the link http://itunes.apple.com/app/vision+-wi- ... ?ls=1&mt=8 on your iDevice. The current V2.0 is released on 2014-07-20. What's new in Version 2.0:
-- Interference Control Algorithm further improves FPV range in both open and urban area
-- More reliable FPV performance in urban area
* For Android, you may search "fpv booster" in Google Play store, or click https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... osterbasic on your Android device. The current V2.1 is release on 2014-09-10. What's new in Version 2.1:
-- Interference Control Algorithm further improves FPV range in both open and urban area
-- Smart Boost keeps monitoring Wifi signal every few seconds. If you out fly FPV range and get Phantom Connection Broken message, it helps shortening FPV reconnection time when you fly back in range.
Q2. What is the longest FPV range after boosted with stock P2V+ Wifi setup?
The FPV range is depending on multiple factors, such as Preview Quality, environment RF interference, humidity, etc. The longest range reached by our beta tester is 12,029ft (3,667m) in Taiwan with FPV Booster V2, standard P2V+ aircraft, standard RE700 repeater and 640x480 15fps. However, your mileage (FPV range) may vary. Fly safe!
Q3. How FPV Booster works?
- Turn on both Phantom 2 Vision+ aircraft and range extender, and connect your iOS/Android device to Wi-Fi network as usual.
- Open FPV Booster app, tap “Boost up!” button. The app connects to Vision+ aircraft through the Wi-Fi network, then it boosts up Wi-Fi power and applies tweaks to the aircraft. It will then display a message "Your Vision+ is boosted up". It’s done and ready to take off.
- Open DJI VISION app, and Happy Flying.
Note: Every time when you power cycle Vision+ aircraft or range extender, you need to run FPV Booster app to take effect.
Q4. Does it compatible with original Phantom 2 Vision?
NO. FPV Booster for Vision+ is ONLY compatible with DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ (Plus). Running the app on other incompatible platforms (including original Phantom 2 Vision) may encounter unexpected results.
Q5. How to test it working? What should I do if I could not achieve expected FPV result?
Fly your Vision+ WITHOUT turning on the booster (as a reference) to your favorite flight path until Wi-Fi video dropped. Fly back your Vision+ and run the FPV Booster app, then fly again the same flight path with the same Preview Quality for apple-to-apple comparison. You may need to fly with higher altitude for longer range in order to maintain line-of-sight. It may fly out of your 5.8G control range and trigger Failsafe/RTH.
If you could not achieve expected FPV result, we are willing to help to identify and/or resolve the issue as there are so many factors affecting FPV range. Please email us the following information for troubleshooting.
- What platform (iOS/Android) and version (indicated at upper right hand corner) of FPV Booster are you using?
- What is the FPV range, Altitude and Preview Quality BEFORE boosted when you think reaching the limit? If the FPV range (before boosted) is significantly shorter than DJI's specification, it might be hardware/software issues of DJI products. FPV Booster is unable to address DJI's hardware/software issues.
- What is the FPV range, Altitude and Preview Quality AFTER boosted when you think reaching the limit?
- What message do you see on DJI VISION app, such as “Phantom Connection Broken” or “Control Signal Lost”?
- Do you fly behind trees, buildings or any obstacle? Are you able to maintain line-of-sight between you and your aircraft?
Q6. Why do I get "Control Signal Lost" message about the same range even after boosted?
FPV Booster only boosts 2.4G Wi-Fi video/telemetry connection (FPV) while Control Signal Lost is due to 5.8G control link dropped.
Q7. Does it consume more battery power to shorten flight time or generate extra heat to damage the circuit?
It consumes VERY little extra power and generates NO extra heat per our testing. It's estimated shortening less than 10 seconds of flight time out of 25 minutes.
Q8. Does it work with other antenna mods?
YES. FPV Booster app works well alone, as well as any antenna mods on Vision+ aircraft and/or range extender. However, using the booster app is way cheaper and easier than any hardware mod to boost FPV range, as well as eliminating all the hassles of adding/replacing 2.4G antenna, amplifier, high power repeater, pigtail cable, drilling & soldering.
Q9. Can I boost Vision+ aircraft from one device and fly FPV with another device (including Epson Moverio BT-200)?
YES. You can boost P2V+ from any iOS/Android device with FPV Booster app installed as long as the device is connecting to Phantom_XXXXXX network. Once P2V+ is boosted, you may either keep or disconnect the Wifi connection. As there is no simple way to install FPV Booster app on Moverio BT-200 for the time being, you are suggested to boost P2V+ from another iOS/Android device as a workaround.
Q10. What is the current development and future plan of FPV Booster?
We have been working on FPV Booster for Vision and a new FPV Booster Pro for Vision+. We are willing to share our future development plan, but subject to change without prior notice.
Q11. Why do I get a Warning message of "You have installed other apps on this Vision+ aircraft, which may have impact to FPV Booster."
FPV Booster detects some non-DJI configuration or components installed on your Vision+ aircraft, which is probably changed by user or installed by other apps. As we only test FPV Booster on stock Vision+ aircraft, the warning is due to uncertainty about any impact/conflict between FPV Booster and those non-DJI configuration or components.
Comparison Between FPV Booster and Other Apps (2014-08-24)
There are several aftermarket apps available for Vision+ with similar features. What are the key features of each app comparing to FPV Booster?
We purchased 2 other aftermarket apps and tested them as an advanced user. I have summarized the key features of FPV Booster and 2 other apps below for comparison based on facts at my best knowledge. If there is any misleading/inaccurate information, please feel free posting to this thread and correct me straightaway instead of PM me. I prefer to keep this comparison as transparent and objective as possible, and we have nothing to hide. However, we are not at proper position to address any issues of these 2 other apps.
(1) FPV Booster V2.0 (iOS) released 2014-07-20
- Boost Vision+: We are the inventor of boosting Vision+ aircraft FPV range from an app. We set TX power to 13dBm and apply a unique Interference Control Algorithm (ICA) for boosting FPV range. We tested various TX power all the way from 3dBm to 20dBm, and found 13dBm is the optimal value matching with stock RE700 range extender. It boosts 50%-100% FPV range. The unique ICA further enhances additional 50%-60% FPV range (per many users’ feedbacks) by reducing interference from both environment (home Wi-fi routers, public Wi-fi hotspots, cell phones, other RC pilots, etc.) and P2V+ aircraft’s own electronics (Wifi module, camera, motors, ESC).
- Boost range extender: N/A, though other apps may claim also boosting range extender but the facts are not boosting at all based on both lab/field tests and users' feedback.
- 7th channel Tilting: N/A
- Flight Logger: N/A
(2) Phantom 2 Vision Range Booster V1.3 (Android) released 2014-6-30
- Boost Vision+: Set TX power to 13dBm without ICA
- Boost range extender: Set TX power to 13dBm without ICA; It does NOT improve FPV performance per our test.
- 7th channel Tilting: N/A
- Flight Logger: N/A
(3) Vision+ Utility Pro V3.1 (Android) released 2014-8-13
- Boost Vision+: Set TX power 0dBm-27dBm without ICA; Some values are better and some values are worse than stock, higher values may not always offer better FPV performance.
- Boost range extender: Set TX power 0dBm-27dBm without ICA; It does NOT improve FPV performance per our test with any value.
- 7th channel Tilting: “It simulates the on screen touch press while the lever is moving” but I need to calibrate X1 every time with a PC (no Mac) after every power cycle. This makes it impractical to use in the field unless I’m willing to bring my PC/USB cable for calibration prior every flight. Per feedbacks from other forum members and our testing, the tilting is very lagging and glitches. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20924&start=120
- Flight Logger: It’s advertised as “Your flight details will be recorded to your device local VisionPlusUtility directory.” We don’t own Flytrex or Dashware to verify the accuracy of Flight Logger. Per feedbacks from other forum members and videos, speed and distance are obviously inaccurate per my observation. There are various other issues reported by forum members (such as no log file, empty log file, a few lines in log file, etc.). It seems not many users managed to get it working properly as expected, like a member mentioned “Have you not noticed that nobody has shown a video using the Dashware software, using your Utility Flight Logger App?” I have to agree that I haven't seen a single video (as of today 2014-08-24) showing accurate flight data in a complete flight say 15-20 minutes. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20198&start=70#p213934
1. When we turn on 7th channel Tilting and Flight Logger, we found the FPV range is significantly shorter regardless TX power and Preview Quality. This is likely due to these features competing Wifi bandwidth with FPV video/telemetry data. As a user, if I want to use these features, then I need to sacrifice FPV range.
2. This app has installed some programs/files (such as MySer2Net) into P2V+ aircraft. I’m unaware of any easy way to un-install these programs/files (unless SSH’ing to delete them manually) in case I need to send it back to DJI for warranty without being traced (might void the warranty) or whatever other reasons.
3. Every time when I use the app, it keeps generating /var/log/xxx.vpu.dat files (0-4kB) and occupying very limited internal storage of the aircraft. Imagine, what will happen when a PC running out/low of disk space. Firmware upgrade or basically anything might crash in low storage condition, who knows.FPV Booster Top-10 Range Scoreboard
All records were flying with FPV Booster app (any version) and DJI Vision app (any version & any Preview Quality). They were conducted by un-modded Phantom 2 Vision+ aircraft and RE700 repeater. Range records were reported by users with supporting (such as screen shot, screen recording, Flytrex, Google Map, Google Earth or other means).
1. LMC: 12,029ft / 3,667m (iOS V2, 640x480/15fps, 2014-06-29)
2. tizzl10: 10,840ft / 3,305 (iOS V1, 640x480/15fps, 2014-06-02)
3. M.Tigelaar: 8,531ft / 2,601m (iOS V2, 640x480/15fps, 2014-08-22)
4. nhoover: 8,364ft / 2,550m (Android V2.1, 320x240/15fps, 2014-09-27)
5. rbarghini: 7,519 ft / 2,292m (iOS V2, 640x480/15fps, 2014-09-13)
6. sigwameister: 6,534ft / 1,992m (Android V1, 640x480/15fps)
7. neoneo: 6,245ft / 1,904m (Android V1, 320x240/15fps)
8. Ryad Kyriad / kescot: 6,144ft / 1873m (Android V1, 640x480/15fps)
9. Alib: 6,101ft / 1,860m (iOS V1, 640x480/15fps)
10. Mossie: 5,278ft / 1,609m (iOS V1, 640x480/30fps)
Original Post: 2014-04-29 to 2014-06-15
A friend of mine (software developer) helped me to custom build an Android app for boosting my Vision+ Wifi signal strength. Holy cow! It ended up DOUBLE the FPV range by a single click even when my Vision+ was still in the air. It does not need to power cycle/reboot the Vision+, and boost the Wifi signal strength immediately. In general, I would prefer to boost the Wifi well before take off, while boosting in the air was to demonstrate no power cycle required.
My FPV range test setup below:
- Stock Vision+ aircraft
- Stock RE700 range extender
- 5.8G Transmitter (came with P2V not Vision+) with 11dBi patch panel
- Rooted Nexus 7 (2012 model) running Android 4.4 Vision app 1.0.40 with Preview Quality 320x240 15fps
The video was a bit glitch probably due to the app 1.0.40, as some other pilots reported in this forum. I may need to rollback to 1.0.39 until DJI fixed the issues.
I would like to summarize the FPV range test results from our iOS beta testers below. All beta tests were conducted with stock (un-modded) Vision+ aircraft and RE700 repeater.
1. tizzl10: 5,642ft / 1,720m – 640@30fps (5.8G control signal dropped & triggered RTH)
1. tizzl10 (video below): 7,037ft / 2,145m – 640@15fps (5.8G control signal dropped & triggered RTH)
2. LMC: 6,058ft / 1,847m – 640@15fps (FPV connection broken)
3. mem_ny: 3,620ft / 1,104m – 320@30fps (in high Wifi residential area)
4. Alib: 5,061ft / 1,543m – 640@15fps (5.8G control signal dropped & triggered RTH)
If you have achieved better range, please keep me posted. I will keep updating the above list upon received further test results as a summary for easy reading.
The iOS version of Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster is generally available in App Store on 16-May-2014, and beta testing stage is ended accordingly.
I would like to summarize the FPV range test results from our Android beta testers below. All beta tests were conducted with stock (un-modded) Vision+ aircraft and RE700 repeater.
1. MattUNI2001: 3,518ft / 1,072m – 640@15fps (Wifi congested area, FPV connection broken, 53% range improvement)
2. Hovtech: 4,601ft / 1,403m – 640@15fps (100+% range improvement)
3. Vortex66: 2,722ft / 830m – 640@15fps (Wifi congested area, 51% range improvement)
4. tizzl10: 5,364ft / 1,635 – 320@15fps (5.8G control signal dropped & triggered RTH)
5. neoneo: 6,245ft / 1,904m – 320@15fps (80% range improvement)
6. Orbbs: 3,608ft / 1,100m – 640@15fps (urban area, 47% range improvement)
7. LMC: 8,424ft / 2,568m – 640@15fps (FPV connection broken)
8. kescot: 6,144ft / 1,873m – 640@15fps (FPV connection broken)
9. sigwameister: 6,534ft / 1,992m – 640@15fps (5.8G control signal dropped & triggered RTH)
10. nhoover: 7,419ft / 2,262m – 320@15fps (FPV connection broken, 54% range improvement)
V+ Booster Longest FPV Range Contest (640x480 15fps or 30fps). 1. tizzl10: 10,840ft / 3,305 (iOS)
2. LMC: 8,424ft / 2,568m (Android)
3. sigwameister: 6,534ft / 1,992m (Android)
- kescot: 6,144ft / 1873m (Android)
- Alib: 6,101ft / 1,860m (iOS)
- M.Tigelaar: 5,300 / 1,616m (iOS)
- Mossie: 5,278ft / 1,609m (640@30fps, proof required)
- Hovtech: 4,601ft / 1,403m (Android)
- Orbbs: 3,608ft / 1,100m (Android, proof required)
- MattUNI2001: 3,518ft / 1,072m (Android)
- neoneo: 3,200ft / 976m (Android, proof required)
- khemici3: 2,988ft / 911m (iOS, 640@30fps)
- Vortex66: 2,722ft / 830m (Android, proof required)
The contest is ended on June 15, and the top 3 records are highlighted in red as above.