• Advertisement

Advanced search

Rage cams 5.4mm flat lens

Discussion pertaining to the DJI Phantom 2 NON-VISION only.

Moderators: Adam, Geert, LuvMyTJ, ElGuano, BenDronePilot

Rage cams 5.4mm flat lens

Postby Ravecreative » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:55 pm

Seriously thinking about voiding my gopro warranty and changing the lens to a ragecam 5.4mm non-fisheye flat lens.
I hate the way the fisheye doesn't look right when inserted into video footage, and would rather have nice flat video.
Plus the de-fish eye / correction does strange things to the edges of the picture.

They look awesome
http://ragecams.com/shop/54mm-flat-lens ... p-631.html
But a bit concerned about possibly destroying the camera

Has anyone had any experience with this? I'd appreciate any guidance before I steam ahead

Thanks guys
Ravecreative

Advertisement

Re: Rage cams 5.4mm flat lens

Postby Jdacal » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:12 am

I modified mine, I love it. Quality is fantastic after you focus at 150 foot distance as suggested by RageCam.
Jdacal

Postby FASTFJR » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:41 pm

$399 for the camera and another $379 for the lens? WOW :lol:
FASTFJR

Postby havasuphoto » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:47 pm

2 things; 1, if you have a Zen Gimbal, chances are it won't balance with that on it. I've tried with just a filter adapter(light), and a ND filter(also-light), and the Gimbal enters hibernation mode.
2. shoot in 2700X1400 mode(2.7K Cine), then de-fisheye, and crop to 1080P. Check the results when done-you might be surprised.
And no, I don't have any footage I can show you....just try it.

I've seen footage with that lens, and it does look amazing. But-it won't work with my Gimbal-so it's a non-starter here. Too much weight at the wrong position on the camera-causes the Gimbal to go limp.
havasuphoto

Postby Ravecreative » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:13 pm

Yeh. I was worried about that too, but they do list it as a dji phantom lens. And it looks pretty much the same size.
Might give it a go anyway.
Ravecreative

Postby havasuphoto » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:53 pm

Ravecreative wrote:Yeh. I was worried about that too, but they do list it as a dji phantom lens. And it looks pretty much the same size.

That's what I thought about the snake river filter adapter. It's very light weight-just a few grams. And, the ND filter I had was ultra thin, and also just a few grams. But, the Gimbal would enter hibernation as soon as the aircraft pulled any G-forces...even the slightest bump, and it fell asleep. This was with firmware 1.6 and 1.8.
I'd love to have an ND filter on my GP3....but, it's just not happening with the Zen.
havasuphoto

Postby Ravecreative » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:22 am

@jdacal do you have any problems using your modified gopro on the zenmuse?
Ravecreative

Postby lgeist » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:03 am

havasuphoto wrote:
Ravecreative wrote:Yeh. I was worried about that too, but they do list it as a dji phantom lens. And it looks pretty much the same size.

That's what I thought about the snake river filter adapter. It's very light weight-just a few grams. And, the ND filter I had was ultra thin, and also just a few grams. But, the Gimbal would enter hibernation as soon as the aircraft pulled any G-forces...even the slightest bump, and it fell asleep. This was with firmware 1.6 and 1.8.
I'd love to have an ND filter on my GP3....but, it's just not happening with the Zen.

Dang, Havasu - I just received my Snake River adapter, ND and polarizing filters a few days ago and was planning to test them today on my Zen...

Oh well, I can still use them for general GoPro shooting off of the P2. :-)
________________________________________________________________________________________
Phantom 2, DJI F550, Zenmuse H3-2D, GoPro Hero3+ Black, iOSD Mini,Lilliput 664W, ImmersionRC 600mW, Futaba 14SG, Garmin GTU-10
lgeist

Postby djiatl » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:57 am

Check this post.

Looks like some folks are using different lenses on the zenmuse:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2058750
djiatl

Postby havasuphoto » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:55 am

Ravecreative wrote:@jdacal do you have any problems using your modified gopro on the zenmuse?

Yes, and to the last post, yes also.
From what I've seen-you can't alter the weight of the GP3, period. The plus is only 2/10ths of a gram lighter-so that's not an option either.
I have my SR filter holder just sitting on my desk-unused, and paid $35 shipped to get it here. 52mm.
I was using the Hoya HMC ND400 "thin" filter for the testing. I also tried an ND8 and an ND4. I test "flew" them(because I didn't trust that thing to stay on in a real flight-but had a solution in mind), by powering up the Phantom, getting the green home lock flashes, then just picking it up, and pretend flying.
As soon as I banked and rotated around my body-the Gimbal went limp.....it recovered after a few seconds-but did the same thing when I "pulled up", simulating a climb from speed--limp.

So, unless someone finds something in the settings, or, maybe I'm just missing something-it's a no go here.

But, there is "hope"....Go Pro 4 is "scheduled" for a Summer 2014 release!!!! I don't think GP will change the form/size much...but, maybe, just maybe, they'll give us a solution......or, maybe Zen/DJI can add a firmware upgrade to handle the weight of a few grams on the end of the lens-so we can run ND filters.

Shooting 24P without an ND filter on a Go Pro is a complete and utter waste of time right now.........bummer
havasuphoto

Next

• Advertisement

Return to DJI Phantom 2 (Non-Vision)