Zoom feature? How?

Here's what the quality looks like when you record in 1080 and zoom to 2X. I'm using an iPad Air 2, I'm not sure about Android, but it should work. Try different flight modes, it seems like it didn't work for me in the beginning also, when I had CA enabled. But I think it works in all modes now.
I can see it has it's advantages for about 80 meters depending on what your recording. Practice with this is key to get the zoom you want.

I finnaly got it to work by purchasing an ipad mini 4. Seems like this function doesn't work on the Samsung Galaxy s6. Maybe it doesn't work on any android device.

Reactions: God bless Texas
Why not record in 4K and then do any zooming in post? Your final output can be 1080p and you'll have 2X zoom capability at any time. Many video software will do this.

Why not record in 4K and then do any zooming in post? Your final output can be 1080p and you'll have 2X zoom capability at any time. Many video software will do this.
Timing is everything. Post editing doesn't help you see closer while you're flying, and seeing 2X real-time during flight can influence how you shoot.

Last edited:
Timing everything. Post editing doesn't help you see closer while you're flying, and seeing 2X real-time during flight can influence how you shoot.
Also, I like flying the phantom 4 for fpv purposes. I could care less about capturing video(I rarely record). I know many people purchase products like the phantom solely as a camera platform. I fly because of the the enjoyment of flight. Anything that makes flying more enjoyable is a plus. Been flying rc for 20+ years. Didn't but this for the recoding ability. It's just all around the best product for hd fpv with video goggles.

Reactions: Alba52 and greenhut
Thanks for the advice though.
I'm experiencing absolutely the same problem, Phil! I'm using HTC One Max android phone, everything else works, but NO zoom!? Can't say is it due to the last app update, 'cause I have my P4 only a couple of days. Will wait for the new update though...

I'm experiencing absolutely the same problem, Phil! I'm using HTC One Max android phone, everything else works, but NO zoom!? Can't say is it due to the last app update, 'cause I have my P4 only a couple of days. Will wait for the new update though...
Yeah, from what I heard, it only works on ios right now. I bought an ipad mini and it works..

This is why I use apple products specifically for flying all my drones. More stable and reliable than Android.
The Ipad Air 2 64 with cellular has been the choice for many. Android devices are corrupted most of the time due to a million apps running at one time while trying to run just the Go App. The zoom feature might be released soon but maybe not? Get a Ipad Air 2 and you wont be disappointed.

Reactions: jakobe75
Hello! We were debating between a 3 or a 4 for live event production of sporting events and I just came across this thread about the 4's digital zoom capability. Until seeing this, I was looking into aftermarket replacement fixed zoom lens. Does anybody know whether or not when you pinch and zoom it outputs the ZOOMED video over the controller's HDMI output?

Hello! We were debating between a 3 or a 4 for live event production of sporting events and I just came across this thread about the 4's digital zoom capability. Until seeing this, I was looking into aftermarket replacement fixed zoom lens. Does anybody know whether or not when you pinch and zoom it outputs the ZOOMED video over the controller's HDMI output?
Yes the P4 does output zoom from HDMI.

Reactions: greenhut
Just try this today. It worked great. I can't for some nice weather to try
this some more.

Tried it and tried in on a P4P with Apple Air 2 (iOS 10) and can't get it to work
Don't forget, this is not the P4P thread, this is the P4 discussion. But I'm pretty sure the P4P doesn't support 2X zoom yet due to the new 1" sensor camera. Only P4 (and Mavic) with iOS devices support 2X zoom while shooting 1080 video.

Last edited:
Reactions: RémyHeli
I wish they'd implement a view-only zoom so that one could shoot in 4K but compose framing from FPV. Then, full-resolution is preserved and actual zooming can be done post-production.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20