Zip tie mod

Reaction score
I had the AR drone 2.0 before and did the "zip-tie mod", which really helped with the occasional hard landings. I felt the Phantom could benefit from this too. Just had to epoxy the joints to make sure it stays put.

Not only does it soften the landings, but gives about 2cm of additional height and clearing for the camera, so you can take off in grass without getting the gimbal motor obstruction error.

Usually I hand catch when conditions are right like no wind, 50+ degree weather, on a boat, etc. But there are some times where you just have to manually land it. So i usually hover it just a few inches off the ground and throttle left stick down all the way.

On my old p1, I would hand catch all the time, but once i did it in 10 degrees weather, and the leg snapped in half from being too brittle and I almost lost a few fingers, so I'm much more careful now.

I'm sure overtime, the multiple, few inch drops may loosen some contacts and wires in the Phantom, and this just us a preventative measure.

Also, unlike the foam thing people are doing, wind has less of an affect in it

Anyways, here is a picture and I'm open to constructive criticism.[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1417390825092.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417390825092.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417390825092.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 925
Re: Zip tie mod

It sounds like a cheap and workable modification. I've used zip ties (we called them "Ty Wraps" which was the brand bought for us. I've discovered over many decades, numerous uses, never imagined!

There are several other options, such as foam round pads, with a hole in the middle of it for the landing 'gear.' There were no instructions included, so it could be installed by cutting them and gluing it or zip tying. Or, you cut put them on the hard way: Removing the landing gears, compass, GPS, etc.

I discovered a neat, simple alternative. Here is what you search for on Amazon: "12 Pack - LED Foam Light Stick Baton Supreme - Multicolor Color Changing."

They are very lightweight and they have multiple modes. The first mode is multiple color flashing. Move it back and forth and you will see the individual colors. It has a steady white, but other individual colors strobe, in addition to a morphing of colors. I would have preferred an option of steady colors, for red and green, but the strobe mode accomplishes the same.

Kids would love these as a gift, yet it is a fine drone toy for us drone flying 'adults.' I'm going to cut one apart, tonight. The LEDs, batteries and switch are in one end. Then your options for installing them are greatly increased. It also makes for longer landing gears.

I'm sending my P2 in for replacement with a V2.0. So, when Christmas is over, then I'll send in a video of a fully decked out night UFO. But, I need at least one extra channel for sound effects and one more for dropping small thermonuclear bombs. Better yet, a channel for going dark and quiet!

Some was in jest. It is up to you to determine what was unreal!

Never underestimate the power of a zip tie! I wish I had figured out to install one on my p2v+ before my camera and gimble decided to go on a separate flight. .haha..so save yourself 700 bucks and put a couple on..

That what I'm using it for too, to soften the landings. When the Phantom drops a few inches the force is transferred from the legs to the body. The zip ties bend and absorb impact so less is transferred

eyecon82 said:
That what I'm using it for too, to soften the landings. When the Phantom drops a few inches the force is transferred from the legs to the body. The zip ties bend and absorb impact so less is transferred

Watch the short video he posted, it explains everything.

Sorry. I meant to say...it looks like it could be a bit unstable landing on those springy thin zip tie legs. Any video?

In regards to: "What video?" That was my bad.

It has been a painful night and I guess the pain meds got me messed up as that was meant for another post.

Clever. Not for me. I'll try foam or something else

eyecon82 said:
Interesting setup for your landings. The drop a few inches puzzles me a little bit. When I land I bring the quad legs right down to within a fraction of an inch of the ground. I just gently settle it down and when I can see it is stable and not going to fall over, I shut the motors off. Out of many, many landings I can only remember when I actuall "hit" the ground with any force. If a wind comes up, I will grab it in the air. I have watched many videos where persons have hit the ground with great force and I could never understand why they were landing that way.

Prylar Bek said:
Sorry. I meant to say...it looks like it could be a bit unstable landing on those springy thin zip tie legs. Any video?
I'll make some video later on, but because they are springy, it lands well and it slides more if a strong gust of wind hits it instead of tipping

dirkclod said:
I done went to hand catching only .Or landing into tree's :roll:
First tree hit: Green on props. Second tree hit: Two damaged props. Third tree hit: Not yet.
Not good to hit trees. :D

Prylar Bek said:
I'll make some video later on, but because they are springy, it lands well and it slides more if a strong gust of wind hits it instead of tipping over

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik