ZenmuseH32d on phantom fc40

Reaction score
Will a ZenmuseH32d work on a phantom fc40?
If so what is needed to make it work

I was wondering about this as well, also am curious about the Tarot gimbal. I'm sure they'll physically fit on there, but is the power wired up right, and does the stock board support it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, from the research I've done ("research" meaning a few google searches), I think a zenmuse or tarot should work (and a goodluckbuy for that matter). The gimbal could power off of the lipo battery directly on its aux connector, and there should be a power out on the board. The rc controller has the 7th channel, that needs to be turned on, and you'll need to buy a pitch control switch for the rear of the controller. There are also options for a knob, they are a little less plug and play.

Now, the pitch control from the naza board is the big question. In the worst case, you'll need to do some soldering, as you would on a phantom 1.1.1. However, the specs all say the fc40 has naza 2.0.0, which is confirmed by looking at the bottom of the fc40 by the serial number. Does this mean that it's set up like the phantom 2 where the gimbal can just plug right in? I'm not sure. I believe it does, but I haven't found anyone that can confirm this.

There are plenty of people out there with gimbals on their fc40s, I've seen a number of YouTube videos. Unfortunately, I haven't found a place where any of them have commented on how much is involved in installing it.

Yes... I have just added one to my FC40. Very simple install and works great. I am going to shoot some video this weekend once the weather is better. Nice thing is with the WiFi repeater and Wifi enabled on the GoPro 3+ sitting on the Gimble, I get FPV without having to do any other fancy Fatshark back feed on 2.4 Ghz.

dsiles said:
Yes... I have just added one to my FC40. Very simple install and works great. I am going to shoot some video this weekend once the weather is better. Nice thing is with the WiFi repeater and Wifi enabled on the GoPro 3+ sitting on the Gimble, I get FPV without having to do any other fancy Fatshark back feed on 2.4 Ghz.

That's good to hear, if it just plugs into the board like the phantom 2, that's awesome. I was hoping that's the case. I plan to get a gopro soon (I've seen the silver discounted to a pretty low price) and a zenmuse or tarot would be awesome to go along with it.

Yep the Naza V2 makes it simple. Hardest part was running the control cable through the leg hole. DJI could really make them bigger. I did a power tap off the XT60 to gain power making the Gimble easy to remove as well with no soldering required.

dsiles said:
Yep the Naza V2 makes it simple. Hardest part was running the control cable through the leg hole. DJI could really make them bigger. I did a power tap off the XT60 to gain power making the Gimble easy to remove as well with no soldering required.

So you do have to open up the shell to run a cord down the leg?

What is your flight time?

Yes... I had to open the shell and the cable down one of the extra leg grommets. I am going for the test flight with the weight time this weekend. We have had crappy weather and high winds the last few days.

Dave

JeffHVT said:
dsiles,

Could you please elaborate on 'wifi repeater' that you use with the GoPro camera wifi?

Jeff, I am a Tenda A6 ultra portal mini AP/Repeater. I found it more effective running from the Quadcopter, but it can also be mounted on the back of the RC controller. I get good Wifi up to about 1000 feet.

The Tenda is very light at 34 grams. It runs on 5V USB power. It is lighter than my GPS tracker that is also mounted on the quad copter.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/rbdv801ukfe7rve/yQhx5IOJxr

I am also experimenting with hacking the DJI WiFi Extender. That just arrived and is more powerful. I can also crack that unit open and put a higher gain antenna hack on it if I can get it bind. I will report back once I know.

I will do a video and full review on this when I have time this weekend.

dsiles,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I found the repeater on amazon. I am expecting my 'Goodluckbuy' gimbal any day. Once I get that operational, I will look into a GoPro and the rest of your setup. I will watch for your results and video.

Jeff

PhantomPerk said:
How do you power the A6 when it is mounted to the Phantom?

I am using a step down DC/DC converter that adds very little weight. 6 grams for the unit and the USB cable. It is power tapped off the XT60 battery connector Y I have inside that also powers the Gimble.

When I crack back open the Phantom I will take some pictures of it. Here is the DC/DC step down I bought from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMW92G8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut and spliced a USB mini type B cable down to just the power leads and have them soldered to the output. The input is 24 AWG from the power tap. The center ground is shared. It steps the power down from the LiPo to 5V 2 Amps perfectly to power the Tenda AP. You could also just use the Tenda with an external power source that provides 5V. I do this when I use the Tenda at the controller side. I power it with a portable batter that takes a standard USB cable Type A plug to the USB mini Type B. I just didn't want the weight of an extra battery on the drone as well.

Dave

dsiles said:

Did you have to order anything extra / install anything extra on the transmitter?

I wonder if it's possible to skip hassling with the transmitter and just use the zenmuse

AJ replied to your PM as well, but only thing I added was a tilt control lever to the transmitter. Not required, but worthy upgrade and all it requires is unscrewing the back, slotting in the control pin to the tilt control screw and closing up. No soldering required.

dsiles said:
AJ replied to your PM as well, but only thing I added was a tilt control lever to the transmitter. Not required, but worthy upgrade and all it requires is unscrewing the back, slotting in the control pin to the tilt control screw and closing up. No soldering required.

You are the man! Thank you! Let us know if you have posted any videos - I would love to see them

I sure will. I am dying to get out and fly. It is still freezing cold here in Chicago. Looks like Sunday maybe nice enough with good winds. Stay tuned. I will make a post.

dsiles said:
I am a Tenda A6 ultra portal mini AP/Repeater. I found it more effective running from the Quadcopter, but it can also be mounted on the back of the RC controller. I get good Wifi up to about 1000 feet.

The Tenda is very light at 34 grams. It runs on 5V USB power. It is lighter than my GPS tracker that is also mounted on the quad copter.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/rbdv801ukfe7rve/yQhx5IOJxr

May I know the settings that you use in the Tenda A6 repeater, did you choose DHCP/PPPOE/Static IP?
Thanks.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I've been debating whether to power the zenmuse gimbal with the extra wire from the battery powering my quad versus using a totally separate standalone battery. I thought that was possible, but the chat dialogue below with BH Photo suggests otherwise. What is the correct answer?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AJ : Is the following a good choice for powering a Zenmuse gimbal on a Phantom quadcopter? XProHeli 11.1V, 450mAh 3S 25C LiPo Battery for Small XPG Brushless Gimbal
Oliver C: Hello AJ. My name is Oliver and I will be glad to assist you. Please give me a few moments to begin working on your inquiry.
AJ: OK
Oliver C: No, that will not work. You only have one battery option.
The agent is sending you to http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... 00mah.html.
AJ: Aren't there any smaller batteries I can use to power the gimbal ONLY, while using a battery like the one you suggested to power the quadcopter itself.
Oliver C: No unfortunately not. There is only one way to power the gimbal and that is from the same battery that powers the copter.
AJ: OK. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav