Zenmuse potentiometer pitch control upgrade $5

Reaction score
I just went down to my local electronics store and purchased a 16mm single rotary potentiometer and brushed aluminium knob. Cost me less than $5 and I installed it on the front of the TX just next to the HL/CL switch. There are a few video's online on how to do the mod. It's a great position to mount so you can move or strafe and adjust pitch easily. I would strongly recommend this mod as it is much less flimsy compared with the shapeways kit, you can mount it anywhere, very easy to do.

Check out these links for a trusted easy to install. Excellent control. I marked a 0, 45 and 90 degree angle on my TX.
http://youtu.be/r9DFf2ZY8S0

http://youtu.be/4hStYq2vatM

this one is the one I used. make sure you wire it correctly, it is very simple. I'm no electronics tech i run a painting company. If I can do it anyone can.

boat chaser said:
I just went down to my local electronics store and purchased a 16mm single rotary potentiometer and brushed aluminium knob. Cost me less than $5 and I installed it on the front of the TX just next to the HL/CL switch. There are a few video's online on how to do the mod. It's a great position to mount so you can move or strafe and adjust pitch easily. I would strongly recommend this mod as it is much less flimsy compared with the shapeways kit, you can mount it anywhere, very easy to do.

Check out these links for a trusted easy to install. Excellent control. I marked a 0, 45 and 90 degree angle on my TX.
http://youtu.be/r9DFf2ZY8S0

http://youtu.be/4hStYq2vatM

this one is the one I used. make sure you wire it correctly, it is very simple. I'm no electronics tech i run a painting company. If I can do it anyone can.

Wow, I can't keep up with the references to installs of the wrong potentiometer. The first vid correctly mentions the 5k ohm linear-taper pot, unfortunately the second vid specifies the audio-taper pot, which is not what you want.

You want RadioShack's *LINEAR* taper 5k ohm potentiometer (Part no. 271-1714, $3.49), not the *AUDIO* taper 5k ohm pot (Part no. 271-1720, $3.49) shown in the second, more detailed, video. Yes, either will 'work' (they both go from 0 to 5000 ohms, afterall), however only the first has resistance directly proportional to adjustment within the overall range.

Here's what Adam had to say after directly comparing the audio-taper and linear-taper pots:

Adam said:
Ok, I swapped the pots tonight. Using the linear pot over the audio pot made a difference. It's not huge, but it's smoother and after calibration in the Naza assistant for X1, it uses the full travel of my pot and not just a small part. The placement of the knob that I used isn't the greatest, I think it would have been nice if I could have put it on the where my left thumb could roll it while I am pushing forward on the right stick. The way I have it setup if I want to do a flyover while tilting the camera down I have to reach my left hand way over to get to the knob. Not perfect and it will take some practice but I am pretty happy with it. It would be tight to get the pot on the side though, not sure if that would work.

This mod, done with care, appears to be both safe and effective (voids your Tx warranty though). I haven't seen a report of failure yet. But give some thought to the knob you choose and to where you want the control to be positioned. You may want to be able to adjust camera tilt while also controlling one or both joysticks. Lot's of different locations have been documented, but there are other options too.

Steve

I need to add that in my video to clarify. Is not a huge deal in my opinion, I didn't really think either option (audio or linear) was as smooth as I had hoped. The linear is the better option, though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers