Zenmuse makes hissing noise etc

Reaction score
I just did my first calibration and update. I noticed some things.

First off my Gimbal is a little crooked sideways when the power is on? Can it be adjusted in the software?

And also when i power off the Phantom 2 the gimbal looses its position and is just hanging down a bit sideways and the gimbal is all loose and can freely move in all directions, if i touch it it moves just like before the gimbal is mounted, is this a normal behavior? Hope you understand what i mean by this question.

And because off it hanging like that when the power is off it is touching the ground att all times with its motor, also i think when the gimbal makes its startup sequence and moves in different directions it can't move freely as it would like to do because its touching the ground, i guess nothing can be done to this thing since the gimbal /GoPro is so low and mounted so near the ground?

And for my most worrisome question, i hear a constant hissing sound from the gimbal, not sure if it has been there all the time, i actually think it has not been there the first hour i tested the gimbal. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my gimbal?

I would really appreciate some input.

The Phantom said:
And also when i power off the Phantom 2 the gimbal looses its position and is just hanging down a bit sideways and the gimbal is all loose and can freely move in all directions, if i touch it it moves just like before the gimbal is mounted, is this a normal behavior? Hope you understand what i mean by this question.

mine hits the ground too if it's on a flat hard surface. very gently but yea there's a definite tap. don't know if that's a good or bad thing?

The Phantom said:
And for my most worrisome question, i hear a constant hissing sound from the gimbal, not sure if it has been there all the time, i actually think it has not been there the first hour i tested the gimbal. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my gimbal?

I would really appreciate some input.
I'm not saying it is, but check out my thread here which has some videos I'm thinking possibly that "hissing" noise is one of the motors being overworked due to an imbalance like mine was. Maybe on the same axis, maybe not

or could be totally different. snag a video and post a link we'll check it out

Thanks, yes the sound is definitely coming from one of the gimbal motors, don't know which one. Is the gimbal motors suppose to be quiet or is it suppose to be heard at all? I can hear this noise from about a distance of up to 6,5 feet at least.

Im not sure but i think this sound maybe started when the gimbal was on and i turned the go pro on, when i did that the gimbal was forced in another position, but it almost directly after that changed its position back to how it should be.

I have uploaded a video of the sound, but you will need to turn up the volume since the sound is not so good after uploading. The video is here:

http://sv.tinypic.com/r/1zw1zro/8

P.S I would really appreciate if you wanted to watch the video and give some input, since i need to know if this is a normal thing or if something can be done to it, or if i should return the gimbal?

The Phantom said:
P.S I would really appreciate if you wanted to watch the video and give some input, since i need to know if this is a normal thing or if something can be done to it, or if i should return the gimbal?

brother we're trying... but nobody here owes you anything. enhance your calm :)

I realize now I forgot to link you to my thread, which should have been easy to find but still, here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21345

I couldn't really hear much in that video it's possible you covered up the mic with a finger but I noticed you pointed the camera all the way down, then back up - does the sound go away if you point down then get worse as you point the camera up towards looking straight ahead? if so that's the issue I posted about and linked just above. If you test your gimbal balance (with power OFF) and like mine it falls hard to one side, it's possible that adding counterweight as described in my videos might help, it's worked for a few people.

The Phantom said:
if i should return the gimbal?
people with the issue are reporting it even after getting gimbal replaced, but it's up to you. I was happy enough when I "fixed" it myself if keeping a little counterweight on is all I need I'm fine with it... but it's your equipment and your decision how far you want to pursue it

check out my thread and videos... I'll be watching it and this thread all day

Thanks for your answers, Oh i didn't realize that my question if people can watch the video was interpreted as me thinking somebody owes me anything, and that i want answers fast, in that case i need to say that that was far from my intention?? ;)

Anyway, the sound is a bit different and maybe also a bit louder when the camera points straight down, but the noise is there at all times.

Well mine is falling directly to the left side where the motor is when its OFF, and that makes the motor touch the ground. So does this mean that its something wrong with the gimbal, i guess its meant for the gimbal to be balanced and stay in the middle, especially if that could be the reason for the sound its making?
But is the gimbal motors suppose to be totally quiet, and i mean of course not when the gimbal is moving, but at all other times when its powered on.

By the way can the gimbal be changed sideways (roll) in the software, since my gimbal/camera is a bit lower to the ground on the left side when its powered on.

The Phantom said:
Well mine is falling directly to the left side where the motor is when its OFF, and that makes the motor touch the ground. So does this mean that its something wrong with the gimbal, i guess its meant for the gimbal to be balanced and stay in the middle, especially if that could be the reason for the sound its making?
But is the gimbal motors suppose to be totally quiet, and i mean of course not when the gimbal is moving, but at all other times when its powered on.

I feel like I already went over the tilt thing in detail in my thread so no offense I'm not going to re-type it all out again here. According to one of the other members, when the power is indeed OFF, you should be able to position the gimbal/gopro and when you let go, it does not move very much. When I tried that, this is what happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalsB-N5QP0

so all I did was add some counterweight to the opposide side of the gopro, which resulted in this behavior (when powered off) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5J_CCL62UE notice there is MUCH less tilt.
After that, my gimbal behaved normally under all power-onconditions.

You are also correct that the gimbal shouldn't just make a bunch of noise when it's sitting idle and not moving and the power is ON.

You describe some other symptoms such as there being permanent "tilt" even when the power is ON... this leads me to believe your problem is more serious than mine. If you haven't already, I would suggest removing and re-installing the gopro just to see if that helps... over the course of my troubleshooting I did that maybe 6 times with 2 different gopros and the behavior was slightly different each time.

but ultimately it sounds like something is messed up with your gimbal and contacting your vendor with the issue is probably appropriate.

Thanks, maybe i do that, and yes my gimbal does the exact thing like in your video. There is not a permanent tilt, its a permanent roll, its slightly crocked to the left when the power is on, so its both the problem touching the ground when its off and a couple of millimeters crooked when its on. Its only about a couple of millimeters but its noticeable.
And about the tilt thing, i just asked if its considered normal, meaning the manufacturer should consider it normal for the gimbal to be touching the ground when its off?

I also have this clicking noise when the gimbal is tilted and it reaches a certain position, when it goes beyond that position the click disappears, its just one fast click when it reaches a certain point.
I actually think that this gimbal could have been used when i bought it, it had two round transparent stickers as a seal, but they seem easy to change. The reason i think that is because the box was full of dust and small debris, as far as i know electronics are manufactured in dust proof areas? Well i will see what i do. Sure i can put a counter weight but i don't know if that should be needed, i have paid enough money to be able to get correctly functioning items without the need to do these changes, thats my point of view.

What about my earlier asked question, is there a way to change the roll motion of the gimbal in the software?

The Phantom said:
Sure i can put a counter weight but i don't know if that should be needed, i have paid enough money to be able to get correctly functioning items without the need to do these changes, thats my point of view.

What about my earlier asked question, is there a way to change the roll motion of the gimbal in the software?

I concur, especially since your issues seem to be worse than mine.

no, there's no way to adjust horizontal roll of gimbal in software I think that means it's just bad

So i have written an email to the store that sold it to me, no answer from them so far, if i don't get an answer from them tomorrow i will call them. I would wish to change it against another new gimbal, but i doubt they do it. I think in best case they will send it for reparation on the guarantee and i will have to wait at least a month or more to get it back, and who knows if its even correctly fixed when i get it back? If its in fact a used one i should really get a new one, but it will be hard to prove it was used. I bought it for only 7 days ago so its not a long time since i bought it. I will see what happens?

The Phantom said:
So i have written an email to the store that sold it to me, no answer from them so far, if i don't get an answer from them tomorrow i will call them. I would wish to change it against another new gimbal, but i doubt they do it. I think in best case they will send it for reparation on the guarantee and i will have to wait at least a month or more to get it back, and who knows if its even correctly fixed when i get it back? If its in fact a used one i should really get a new one, but it will be hard to prove it was used. I bought it for only 7 days ago so its not a long time since i bought it. I will see what happens?

Any updates on this, I'm having similar issues to you with my Zenmuse H33D?

So this is not normal when power is off?

Attachments

• gimbaali.jpg
    gimbaali.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 489

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20