Zenmuse H3-3D w/ ND filter Nantucket Island Aerial

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Wanted to share the result of using the GoPro 3+ with H3-3D gimbal and the new ND filter I just put on it. In the past I noticed there was some shake / jello on moving objects as a result of the high shutter speeds in sunlight, so I decided to put on the ND filter to test out how this helps. It helps A LOT. In this clip there's no noticeable jello that I can see anyway, and this was in pretty extreme winds over Nantucket. I also spent about 40 minutes or so make sure to rebalance the gimbal so that it wasn't offset by the weight of the ND filter.

This was filmed in 2.7k, 30fps, edited/graded in 1080p 24fps, and exported in 720p just for the sake of showing you guys.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlcdiFcbO9Y[/youtube]

comexbackkid said:
Hey guys,

Wanted to share the result of using the GoPro 3+ with H3-3D gimbal and the new ND filter I just put on it. In the past I noticed there was some shake / jello on moving objects as a result of the high shutter speeds in sunlight, so I decided to put on the ND filter to test out how this helps. It helps A LOT. In this clip there's no noticeable jello that I can see anyway, and this was in pretty extreme winds over Nantucket. I also spent about 40 minutes or so make sure to rebalance the gimbal so that it wasn't offset by the weight of the ND filter.

This was filmed in 2.7k, 30fps, edited/graded in 1080p 24fps, and exported in 720p just for the sake of showing you guys.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlcdiFcbO9Y[/youtube]

Nice!
Which Nd filter did you use ?

comexbackkid said:
The ND filter is made by a company called Polar Pro. I believe it's a 3-stop filter?
Cool looking video! BTW all I can find are the 2-stop ND filters from Polar Pro, would you mind sharing where you purchased your 3-stop filter from?

comexbackkid said:
damoncooper said:
Buttery. Here's my PolarPro Nantucket video from earlier this summer:

http://youtu.be/nM-Z5wmwaSo

Awesome! Do you work professionally in the area? Looked great.

Thanks! No, I work in software, but I find making (and watching) these aerial nature videos relaxing, a great excuse to get out and find good spots to shoot and it's a great hobby.

Alec said:
comexbackkid said:
The ND filter is made by a company called Polar Pro. I believe it's a 3-stop filter?
Cool looking video! BTW all I can find are the 2-stop ND filters from Polar Pro, would you mind sharing where you purchased your 3-stop filter from?

Yea sure, got it from B&H.

I've also made sure to set the ISO to a maximum of 400 on the GoPro

Hi,
I also tried the ND Polar Glass filter but it made the image softer. without the ND it was sharper. yes sometimes i got a title jello but not on all the shots and was bearable. Have you compared them side by side on post?
thanks,
luis

pipito said:
Hi,
I also tried the ND Polar Glass filter but it made the image softer. without the ND it was sharper. yes sometimes i got a title jello but not on all the shots and was bearable. Have you compared them side by side on post?
thanks,
luis

I haven't noticed a softening in the image, but that might be because I only shoot in 2.7k Protune, which is a very flat profile, and thus soft to begin with. I prefer this because I'm a professional cinematographer here in Boston, and spend a lot of my time editing anyway, so for me I might as well just get the best picture quality possible out of the GoPro sensor. Remember too that w/ any flat profile, your softness is going to be down regardless, so I will always add sharpening back into the shot(s) in post-production until I get the look I want.

Yes that's it. I did counterbalance with quarters using that double-sided commando tape you can buy at pharmacies to hang picture frames and stuff (and then a tiny bit of gaff tape to make sure it was secure.
Where did you put the quarters? Right now I'm using a plastic filter, which is lighter, but it's getting scratched, so I need to find a glass filter, but I don't want to overload the gimbal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl