Zenmuse H3-3D Versions - What are the differences?

Reaction score
So, I'm shopping online for a new Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal. Thus far I've seen at least three different versions. They are:

1.) With Gimbal Control Unit
2.) Without Gimbal Control Unit, Mini-USB GoPro Video Out
3.) Without Gimbal Control Unit, GoPro Interface (Control) BUS Video Out

What are the performance differences between 2 and 3 listed above? Pros and Cons of each :?: Please share your personal experiences as well!

P.S.: Do these gimbal kits typically come with the "Anti-Interference" boards included, or is that a separate "Out-of-Pocket" expense?

Thanks in Advance :!:

P.S. # 2: Here's a picture of the GoPro Interface (Control) BUS Video Out connector for those who might not know what I'm taking about:
aYlbMtc.png

Mine came with interference board. Performance is the same. The ones without the GMU are for P2s as it is built in. With the USB video plug version its a pain as you have to unplug it to get the card out

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

IrishSights said:
Mine came with interference board. Performance is the same. The ones without the GMU are for P2s as it is built in. With the USB video plug version its a pain as you have to unplug it to get the card out
Dear IrishSights,
Thanks for your speedy reply!

For everyone else, I updated my original post with a photo of the GoPro Interface (Control) BUS Video Out connector :mrgreen:

Wow! I really appreciate everyone chiming in here. All of your responses were absolutely overwhelming (what's that smell? oh I know, it's sarcasm). :twisted:

Anyway, I just ordered one. It has the connector as shown in the original post above. Anyone else have one of these? How's it working out for you? Love it? Hate it? Had any problems with it? Using it with or without the "Anti-interference Reinforcement Board"? If WITH, was yours included in the box, or did you have to purchase it separately?

Just switched out that silly usb ribbon connector to one like pictured above ("Hero port" connector). This was in conjunction with adding FPV to my rig. Much more elegant solution than usb, IMHO. On the ground everything looks good but will confirm with my first test flight this morning, weather permitting. My unit came with the anti-interference board which I installed inside the body when I first got it.

beeline said:
Just switched out that silly usb ribbon connector to one like pictured above ("Hero port" connector). This was in conjunction with adding FPV to my rig.
Please provide more details on that. How did you come into possession of that Hero Port connector to retrofit your existing H3-3D? Was it included with your FPV kit?

ATC Drone Flyer said:
beeline said:
Just switched out that silly usb ribbon connector to one like pictured above ("Hero port" connector). This was in conjunction with adding FPV to my rig.
Please provide more details on that. How did you come into possession of that Hero Port connector to retrofit your existing H3-3D? Was it included with your FPV kit?

You have to cannibalize it from an H3-2D or early H3-3D. I found a broken one on ebay for that purpose (haven't swapped the port yet though)

OI Photography said:
You have to cannibalize it from an H3-2D or early H3-3D. I found a broken one on ebay for that purpose (haven't swapped the port yet though)
I must say - OI Photography - You are just a never ending wealth of information :!:
So I'm curious, because you seem to have a considerable amount of experience in this hobby, have you made any photos of your flying machine/s publicly available? I'd like to see your setup.

Thanks as always :mrgreen:

98.6% of everything I post here is just regurgitated or repackaged from other original sources, sprinkled with some personal experiences and validations.

In addition to my Phantom I have a 550-based hex, you can find some shots of it here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8079

And here's a more recent one:

These are the most recent of my Phantom:

It's had some component changes since those pics, here's the latest (new receiver right next to the NAZA):

Thank you for sharing! It's a shame the photos are so small. I can barely make out some of the details. For example:
1.) What kind of controller (transmitter) are you using? The last pic looks like you've got a FrSky X4R receiver inside your Phantom, but the controller I see on the ground does not look like a FrSky Taranis X9D
2.) Looks like you are not running the stock motors (nor the T-motor Anti-Gravitys) on your Phantom
2a.) What'ch'ya got on there, and why did you choose those particular aftermarket motors?
2b.) Benefits?
3.) In the second photo, I assume we are looking at the rear. What's the white rectangular object that looks like it has an orange square in the middle of it?
4.) Do you use that "Butcher Block" that your Phantom is sitting on in the kitchen also? :lol:

ATC Drone Flyer said:
Thank you for sharing! It's a shame the photos are so small. I can barely make out some of the details. For example:
1.) What kind of controller (transmitter) are you using? The last pic looks like you've got a FrSky X4R receiver inside your Phantom, but the controller I see on the ground does not look like a FrSky Taranis X9D
2.) Looks like you are not running the stock motors (nor the T-motor Anti-Gravitys) on your Phantom
2a.) What'ch'ya got on there, and why did you choose those particular aftermarket motors?
2b.) Benefits?
3.) In the second photo, I assume we are looking at the rear. What's the white rectangular object that looks like it has an orange square in the middle of it?
4.) Do you use that "Butcher Block" that your Phantom is sitting on in the kitchen also? :lol:

Yeah sorry about the smaller images, I replaced them with bigger linked versions now ;)

1. The one in that pic is a Turnigy 9X, the first predecessor to the Taranis. It has a FrSky DJT transmitter module in it, and a trimmed-down version of the same OpenTX firmware as the Taranis. I have a Taranis as well but I still enjoy the 9X sometimes. When that pic was taken, I still had the X8R in the Phantom, which is compatible with the DJT (the X4R is not).
2. The motors in that pic are sunnysky 2212's at kv980. I like them a lot and will use them for another build, but I've since settled on the E300 motors for my Phantom. The E300's are more efficient in this application than the SunnySky's (not by much, but enough) and a much better value than the t-motors which I also own and used (without seeing any significant benefit).
3. That's the battery door and mount for the LED module I used. My Phantom is what's known as a "1.5"...the internals from a P1 transferred to a P2 body. Doing so allows me a wider range of battery options, and when I'm using standard lipo's it needs a battery door. That one is a 3D-printed model. Details on the 1.5 mod incl info on the battery door options: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7017
4. Nope :) Bought that just for the purpose of being my Phantom launch pad. It has adjustable legs on the bottom (cheap screw-in door stoppers from walmart) so I can always set it to level as well as get my Phantom and gimbal up off the ground.

OI Photography said:
I have a Taranis as well but I still enjoy the 9X sometimes. When that pic was taken, I still had the X8R in the Phantom, which is compatible with the DJT (the X4R is not).
Thank you for the detailed explanation! I plan on ordering a FrSky Taranis X9D in the coming weeks. May I ask why you transitioned from the X8R to the X4R (and what is a DJT? {or was that just a typo})

If I have any questions about the Taranis, may I pose them to you :?:

One more question. . . Assuming that's a Zenmuse H3-3D on your Phantom, did you have to buy the one with Gimbal Control Unit included (since your Phantom is not a "real" P2)?

ATC Drone Flyer said:
One more question. . . Assuming that's a Zenmuse H3-3D on your Phantom, did you have to buy the one with Gimbal Control Unit included (since your Phantom is not a "real" P2)?

Good question, and that is indeed an H3-3D. I didn't need the stand-alone GCU in this case though, I'd already installed DJI's P1 Upgrade board that has the GCU built in (like the stock P2 mainboard). However, I did buy the version of the gimbal that includes the GCU module in the box so I can swap the gimbal over to my 550 as needed.

Feel free to let me know what questions you have about the Taranis, but there's some great threads here with tons of info. Click my name to the left of this post, then "show user's posts." Once the list comes up, type "Taranis" in the search box in the top left. You'll get a ton of hits, just follow any that have Taranis in the thread title.

Yup, I really did say DJT :) That's a previous-gen Tx module from FrSky, replaced by the XJT in the newer lineup. It maxes out with at 8 channels but is still compatible with the X8R and S-bus, so I just held on to it. No compelling reason for me to move to the XJT now that I have the Taranis...unless I decide someday to pop one on the Taranis for a 32-channel overdose lol.

I swapped the X4R in to the Phantom because I like trying new gear combos (it was just released), and it seemed to be a much more elegant solution for use in a Phantom than the X8R. The weight difference between the two isn't going to make any impact on flight time or anything, but the compact case and small footprint are friendlier to those who already have cramped innards. The only thing you give up from the X8R (other than compatibility with the DJT) is 5 extra output channels...the X4R still gives you 3 in addition to 8 channels over S-bus and I have yet to see anybody need more than 3 extras on a Phantom. And it costs less. So now I'm recommending that to those who are getting a Taranis for a P1/P2.

X8R installed, w/X4R set on top for size comparison:

Side by side:

X4R installed:

The antenna leads you see in that last pic are the 250mm extended ones I had connected to the X8R, I just swapped them to the X4R. Here you can see them connected to the X8R, and the stock leads on the X4R:

Great explanation (as usual).
OI Photography said:
I swapped the X4R in to the Phantom because I like trying new gear combos (it was just released), and it seemed to be a much more elegant solution for use in a Phantom than the X8R. The weight difference between the two isn't going to make any impact on flight time or anything, but the compact case and small footprint are friendlier to those who already have cramped innards. The only thing you give up from the X8R (other than compatibility with the DJT) is 5 extra output channels...the X4R still gives you 3 in addition to 8 channels over S-bus and I have yet to see anybody need more than 3 extras on a Phantom. And it costs less. So now I'm recommending that to those who are getting a Taranis for a P1/P2.
So have you done any research regarding differences in receiver sensitivity between the X8R and the X4R? I'm guessing they are very similar if not identical. And what about "Real World" performance differences in that regard? Have you noticed any difference in range for your control signal (or telemetry) between the two receivers?

ATC Drone Flyer said:
Great explanation (as usual).
OI Photography said:
So have you done any research regarding differences in receiver sensitivity between the X8R and the X4R? I'm guessing they are very similar if not identical. And what about "Real World" performance differences in that regard? Have you noticed any difference in range for your control signal (or telemetry) between the two receivers?

Nope, haven't gotten that far yet, but initial casual observation is that the RSSI stays just as strong with the X4R as it did on the X8R within my normal short-med flying ranges. I wouldn't be surprised if the X4R has the same 2.4GHz Transceiver as the X8R but I haven't confirmed that yet.

Yeah, I just went FrSky's Web Site to see if I could find the answer. For whatever reason, they don't seem to publish those kind of specifications. All it says is: "Operating Range = full range (>1.5km)" . . . and as we both well know, there are many, many factors that can affect that. . .

Indeed. I know the X8R has hit 10km in conjunction with a Taranis that has a 5db antenna mod, and I suspect the X4R has plenty of headroom if not that much. I'll try to remember to open the cases and check the silicon inside both Rx next time I get inside the Phantom.

OI Photography said:
Indeed. I know the X8R has hit 10km in conjunction with a Taranis that has a 5db antenna mod
REALLY?!?!? WOW!
Linear or Circularly Polarized?
Directional or Omni?
With or without a 2.4GHz Amplifier?

If you answer:
Linear
Omni and. . .
. . .without, I think I might sh!+ myself :lol:

P.S.: What the heck are you doing up so late? ;)

ATC Drone Flyer said:
OI Photography said:
Indeed. I know the X8R has hit 10km in conjunction with a Taranis that has a 5db antenna mod
REALLY?!?!? WOW!
Linear or Circularly Polarized?
Directional or Omni?
With or without a 2.4GHz Amplifier?

If you answer:
Linear
Omni and. . .
. . .without, I think I might sh!+ myself :lol:

P.S.: What the heck are you doing up so late? ;)

Well then you better sit down for this. In the bathroom.

Nothing added to the Taranis but an RP-SMA antenna connector and a 5db-gain hinged rubber duck.

Linear, Omni and unamplified.

http://boltrc.com/blog/new-10-1km-recor ... tenna-mod/

PS: my sleep schedule is still on newborn-time from my week-long visit with my new grandson last week ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4