Zenmuse H3-3D on a Phantom 2 Vision Plus

Reaction score
I damaged the Phantom 2 vision plus camera/gimbal and replaced it with a Zenmuse H3-3D and GoPro 3 Black. Using the 8pin cable from the 3 cable setup of the vision 2 + my H3-3D gimbal works fine but i do not have any power to or video from the GoPro. Anyone have advice on how to wire an H3-3D and GoPro 3 Black onto a Phantom 2 Vision Plus?? Thanks

I've been working on a similar mod (installing H3-3D on a Phantom 2 Vision) and have run into a number of problems. First, the yaw axis motor did not have clearance so I had to 3D print a spacer. You can find the file here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:325877 With the new spacer, I was able to attach the gimbal to the P2V successfully.

The second problem is that there is no ribbon cable to connect the gimbal to the Phantom's circuit board because there is supposed to be one already inside the Phantom's case as the gimbal is designed to work with the Phantom 2, not the Phantom 2 Vision. I fashioned my own 8 pin cable from junked computer parts and was able to successfully plug into the interference board (which was plugged into the zenmuse gimbal).

also, I unplugged the three wire cable that used to plug into the stock vision camera from the P2V's circuit board, but did not unplug the thick white cable (that looks like a headphone jack). It is still connected to the board, but not into any cameras or gimbals.

Currently, the gopro is getting power, the Phantom spins up and will likely fly. The problem is that I don't know how to get the camera feed onto the iPhone app or other FPV system or control the gimbal movements!

MY QUESTION IS: Has anyone successfully done this exact modification (H3-3D to Phantom 2 Vision)??? If so, where are the tutorials???? Someone please link me one. If this works, I will be sure to make a step-by-step tutorial to share with the community!

SECOND QUESTION: I realize that DJI is closed source company, but does anyone have schematics for the P2V and/or the H3-3D??? I'm not an Electric Engineer, but know a bit about circuits etc. and would benefit from reading that kind of thing.

please help! Thanks, Fletcher

Fletcher said:
Currently, the gopro is getting power, the Phantom spins up and will likely fly. The problem is that I don't know how to get the camera feed onto the iPhone app or other FPV system or control the gimbal movements!

I'd say those requirements/desires are a bit ambitious. But if anyone has figured out how to do that, I know I sure would like to hear about it!

Fletcher said:
MY QUESTION IS: Has anyone successfully done this exact modification (H3-3D to Phantom 2 Vision)??? If so, where are the tutorials???? Someone please link me one. If this works, I will be sure to make a step-by-step tutorial to share with the community!

SECOND QUESTION: I realize that DJI is closed source company, but does anyone have schematics for the P2V and/or the H3-3D??? I'm not an Electric Engineer, but know a bit about circuits etc. and would benefit from reading that kind of thing.

I'm preparing to embark on a similar mod. Since it was a month ago that you originally posted, please share your experiences since then.

P.S.: Does anyone know if the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition has any direct remote control capability AT ALL? What I mean by that is - Could one remotely instruct the GoPro to start/stop recording video or take a picture or any such thing (while flying) as you would normally be able to do with a stock P2V? I've Googled my *** off and have not found a definitive answer to that question.

ATC Drone Flyer said:
Fletcher said:

I'd say those requirements/desires are a bit ambitious. But if anyone has figured out how to do that, I know I sure would like to hear about it!

Fletcher said:

I'm preparing to embark on a similar mod. Since it was a month ago that you originally posted, please share your experiences since then.

P.S.: Does anyone know if the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition has any direct remote control capability AT ALL? What I mean by that is - Could one remotely instruct the GoPro to start/stop recording video or take a picture or any such thing (while flying) as you would normally be able to do with a stock P2V? I've Googled my *** off and have not found a definitive answer to that question.

Yes gopro's have wifi capability and with the iPhone app , it is possible to remotely capture pictures and videos

please share your experiences. I would like to install the h3-3d in my Phantom 2 Vision.
It is possible? What I need to buy?
Can transmitter the video from Go Pro Hero 3 to my Iphone in the DJI app?

Fletcher said:
The second problem is that there is no ribbon cable to connect the gimbal to the Phantom's circuit board because there is supposed to be one already inside the Phantom's case as the gimbal is designed to work with the Phantom 2, not the Phantom 2 Vision. I fashioned my own 8 pin cable from junked computer parts and was able to successfully plug into the interference board (which was plugged into the zenmuse gimbal).
also, I unplugged the three wire cable that used to plug into the stock vision camera from the P2V's circuit board, but did not unplug the thick white cable (that looks like a headphone jack). It is still connected to the board, but not into any cameras or gimbals.
Thank you for posting this. Can you please post pictures of your 8 pin cable, how is connected to the P2V? I have the same issue. There has to be a solution for damaged V+, this camera is very fragile...

I suggest against using the internal GoPro 2.4GHz wifi during flight.

It will likely interfere with your controller or video transmitter depending on the frequency of output.

tferrari said:

It will likely interfere with your controller or video transmitter depending on the frequency of output.
+1
Amen to that! I concur 100% :!:

tferrari said:

Vision Plus controller is using 5.8ghz radio and will not interfere with gopro 2.4ghz radio.
The problem is that range of gopro WiFi is terrible and very laggy...

z10m said:
tferrari said:

Vision Plus controller is using 5.8ghz radio and will not interfere with gopro 2.4ghz radio.
The problem is that range of gopro WiFi is terrible and very laggy...

If the video transmitter is operating on 2.4GHz frequency, then the 2.4GHz WiFi option in the GoPro should not be utilized for remote use of the GoPro due the to possibility of interference with the video transmitter.

tferrari said:
If the video transmitter is operating on 2.4GHz frequency, then the 2.4GHz WiFi option in the GoPro should not be utilized for remote use of the GoPro due the to possibility of interference with the video transmitter.

What video transmitter.? you cant use Vision plus video transmitter with the gopro anyway (at least for now).

Has anyone made any headway on this? I am buying a Phantom 2 with H3-3D and such but I would love to upgrade my Vision Plus to a GoPro and H3-3D as well.

The only way I have figured doing this is essentially make my Vision Plus into a Phantom 2.

Any input from anyone who has done this would be welcome.

Thank you,
Jason

Vengeance1968 said:
The only way I have figured doing this is essentially make my Vision Plus into a Phantom 2.

Any input from anyone who has done this would be welcome.

Thank you,
Jason
I've got all the parts for doing just such a thing on order. So far I've got the H3-3D Gimbal and the Anti-interference Reinforcement Board on hand. I'm expecting the mini iOSD and Video Transmitter this Tuesday, and a FrSky Taranis X9D the day after Labor Day. Unfortunately the Video Monitor / Receiver combo I suspect is going to take a while. It's coming on a "slow boat" from China and I don't expect delivery for that item until the second week of September :(
Once I have ALL the pieces on hand and complete the retrofit, I'll post a follow-up report. . .

I'm doing the same thing at the moment.
Got some parts already and others are on the way from China.
I will be using stock DJI 5.8ghz remote controller and 2.4ghz video transmitter and receiver.
I have already installed DIY made gimbal tilt lever which now works fine after enabling it with software. (phantom 2 tool or assistant software 1.08 can be used for that)
I'm using cheap 2 axis eBay gimbal for now and for the tilt control to work correctly I had to downgrade phantom to 1.08 and set automatic control gain pitch to 0 than update back to 3.06.
For FPV I'm using cheap 7" LCD screen with separate 2.4ghz 500mw video transmitter and receiver powered by 1300mah 3s Lipo battery.
I will post some more pictures and videos when remaining parts will be delivered.
IMAG0782.jpg

zdj_cie_1.jpg

zdj_cie_2.jpg

Remaining parts has been delivered this evening so I had to put it all together to test it.
First tested it in my building and was able to go 2 floors below to my basement without losing video signal where my 5.8ghz remote controller didn't work anymore.
Next took it for a night flight and again video link was very stable with very little interference (lots of WiFi networks around).
Again RC lost signal before video and triggered RTH.
This cheap setup works really well.

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Have anybody thought about changing the transmitter and the receiver from the 5.8ghz to the 2.4ghz? Changing the board on the drone and getting a new controller? Would that work?

jgmayer said:
Have anybody thought about changing the transmitter and the receiver from the 5.8ghz to the 2.4ghz? Changing the board on the drone and getting a new controller? Would that work?
I assume you mean the following:

Transmitter (for Remote Control) = 2.4GHz
Video (for FPV) = 5.8GHz

If that's what you mean, then YES. I'm in the process of doing that now. . .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers