Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal and GoPro FPV issue

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by wafubloke, Aug 29, 2014.

1. wafubloke

Hi Guy's, I've been browsing the net for an answer to an issue I'm having. Hopefully you guy's can help.

The set up is DJi 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal with GoPro Hero 3+ Silver connected to the gimbal using the flimsy ribbon cable. Fatshark Transmitter with separate FPV camera. Everything works sweet, aside from random left twitch which seems to be a common problem.

Now the issue is I want to use the GoPro for the FPV video (I'm into photography and want to frame my shots better). I have the GoPro to transmitter cable and have it connected all fine, the problem is when when I power up the unit the gimbal leans to one side and wont level on the horizontal axis make a noise as though the motors are being driven.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. OI Photography

What cable are you using to get video out from the gopro? It sounds like you have one that goes straight from the USB port to the Tx?

3. wafubloke

4. OI Photography

It's not advisable to connect a cable like that to the gopro when using a Zenmuse as the gimbal can have issues with the amount of resistance it causes on the motors. There's already a power and video output cable on the Phantom, which uses the gopro feed to send to the Tx...you should see a 4-strand cable coming out of the bottom (red/brown/yellow/brown). That cable can be spliced to the appropriate ports on your Tx, or you can replace with a plug-n-play cable meant for P2's (instead of the generic one you have).

Do you have a iOSD too, or planning to get one?

5. wafubloke

Yeah, I have a iOSD mini, though I haven't connected it yet.

How does it cause resistance on the motors, there is plenty of slack in the cable, or are you talking about electrical resistance?

6. wafubloke

Ah, ok, I will look into that. Thanks

7. OI Photography

If you're ready to go ahead and add your iOSD mini, you can use this cable to replace that stock one I mentioned, it will plug in to the Phantom, the iOSD mini, and your FatShark Tx: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LDX65OS/ref ... W0OH443OJY

When you plug in a USB cable like the one you have, both the weight of the plug+cable as well as the slight amount of resistance to movement they can place on the gimbal are enough to throw it off-balance.

8. wafubloke

Sweet! Thanks mate for your help.