Zenmuse H3-3D 3-axis GoPro gimbal announced

havasuphoto said:
Who has actually received one, in the States? I've heard of people receiving tracking numbers, only to open the box and find a version 1, P2, and no H3-3D.

Mine is a few miles away, so ask me Monday (4/7) and I'll have one. Got it from All e Rc. I read someone else here received one and it seems it was definitely the newer P2.

When the standalone gimbals come I'll order one to fit to my spare as well. I have a misbalanced H2 on it so I'll be happy to get rid of that.

Anticipate said:
havasuphoto said:
Who has actually received one, in the States? I've heard of people receiving tracking numbers, only to open the box and find a version 1, P2, and no H3-3D.

Mine is a few miles away, so ask me Monday (4/7) and I'll have one. Got it from All e Rc. I read someone else here received one and it seems it was definitely the newer P2.

When the standalone gimbals come I'll order one to fit to my spare as well. I have a misbalanced H2 on it so I'll be happy to get rid of that.
Gonna put mine on Hold, Monday. I need to look at something in person....

Well, I received it today as promised from All e RC. I did indeed get the new P2 with the hole in it, and the new H3-3D. I'm actually keeping the new unit as a spare, or selling it I'm not quite sure, so I decided to dremel a hole in one of my existing P2s. This worked fine, and I was able to mount the gimbal no problem.

Of note, I did not upgrade the firmware on the P2 to version 3.0. What I found out is that everything works fine, except the range of tilt out-of-the-box on the H3-3D is very limited. Maybe to 30 degrees, and you can't look straight forward or completely down. The only way to adjust the tilt, is to install the 3.0 firmware. And of course with that firmware, of course you run into all kinds of flight limitations if you live near big airport in the city.

More to come after I look at the footage, but the FPV feed was extremely stable.

EDIT: All the gopro footage on the computer is showing jello. I used the grey rubber balls, maybe I will have to try something lighter. ****, not good.

EDIT 2: I noticed the no-drop washers weren't pushed all the way in. That helped immensely, but there was still some wobble here and there with rapid speed. I also noticed that cutting a hole with a dremel isn't quite enough clearance. The y motor spins, but can still catch the bottom of the battery. When it starts to catch you get a lot of jello, then it goes to protection mode, then wakes back up. So I will need those washers to standoff the zenmuse a touch as the current P2 is just barely (like a mm) too close to the battery if you drill hole.

Finally, the plastic washers are a one time thing. They give you a spare set (only two are mounted per the manual) but I have found no way to change out the rubber balls except to just cut off or break the washers. And as I found, they are necessary. They don't just act as an anti-drop, they help isolate the gimbal.

EDIT 3: adding some washers and going back to all the white balls seems to have solved the problem. Got to make sure the pins are snug. I hope I can find more of the pins from DJI, because if I ever want to move it now I am stuck. The anti-drop pins are actually critical for stability of the image.

Anticipate said:
Well, I received it today as promised from All e RC. I did indeed get the new P2 with the hole in it, and the new H3-3D. I'm actually keeping the new unit as a spare, or selling it I'm not quite sure, so I decided to dremel a hole in one of my existing P2s. This worked fine, and I was able to mount the gimbal no problem.

Of note, I did not upgrade the firmware on the P2 to version 3.0. What I found out is that everything works fine, except the range of tilt out-of-the-box on the H3-3D is very limited. Maybe to 30 degrees, and you can't look straight forward or completely down. The only way to adjust the tilt, is to install the 3.0 firmware. And of course with that firmware, of course you run into all kinds of flight limitations if you live near big airport in the city.

More to come after I look at the footage, but the FPV feed was extremely stable.

EDIT: All the gopro footage on the computer is showing jello. I used the grey rubber balls, maybe I will have to try something lighter. ****, not good.

EDIT 2: I noticed the no-drop washers weren't pushed all the way in. That helped immensely, but there was still some wobble here and there with rapid speed. I also noticed that cutting a hole with a dremel isn't quite enough clearance. The y motor spins, but can still catch the bottom of the battery. When it starts to catch you get a lot of jello, then it goes to protection mode, then wakes back up. So I will need those washers to standoff the zenmuse a touch as the current P2 is just barely (like a mm) too close to the battery if you drill hole.

Finally, the plastic washers are a one time thing. They give you a spare set (only two are mounted per the manual) but I have found no way to change out the rubber balls except to just cut off or break the washers. And as I found, they are necessary. They don't just act as an anti-drop, they help isolate the gimbal.

EDIT 3: adding some washers and going back to all the white balls seems to have solved the problem. Got to make sure the pins are snug. I hope I can find more of the pins from DJI, because if I ever want to move it now I am stuck. The anti-drop pins are actually critical for stability of the image.
I'm confuse(RE the bold). What dampers come installed? Are they recommending the white, gray or black?
I've seen a few recently-and all had the white balls on them. IMHO, these are too soft....and I believe the black would be the best.
So, if I want to change balls, I need to get plastic washers? Can you post a picture(s) of what parts you're talking about??
Also-have you noticed any rolling lines in your FPV video-like what is in the original Zen??

I have searched the forum looking for the best thread on H3-3D installation issues. I can't find any thread better than this one, though if it's out there, please point me there. I have a new P2 and H3-3D that I have not yet configured. I received the [power?] filter board, and I plan to install an iOSD Mini and ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter on the new setup. I also have an FPV hub still in package from a couple months ago, and a Ground Station that is also on the to-do list. GS not a top priority, but while I have the shell open, might as well tackle everything at once. Not afraid of soldering as needed.

Question: has anyone out there installed a config like the above? If so, sharing of (or links to) crib notes, photos, videos, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I assume it's fairly similar in most respects to the equivalent install of a H3-2D et al on the original P2, but I am particularly curious about the new power filter, the anti-drop pins, and best anti-jello strategies. I also assume I will be stuck with latest SW and FW for the above config.

Thanks Tribe...

Kelly

Anticipate said:

Do you have any pictures of your setup, possibly showing the hole you made for the gimbal. I plan on getting the gimbal for my origanal P2 and i don't really want to use the adapter fearing if will drop the gimbal too low.

Below is an image of my installation yesterday of Zenmuse H3-3D, filter board for H3-3D, iOSD Mini, Data Link, FPV Hub, and immersionRC 600mW transmitter. I would appreciate any guidance on how to improve this setup. Everything is functional (except Data Link, which I haven't tried yet), but I have a number of questions regarding areas for possible improvement in layout:

1) Battery removal is a pain. Need to relocate something to allow fingers better access to battery buttons.
2) Is all the Canbus cabling I've configured necessary? In other words, is there any connectivity among FPV Hub and Canbus cables that is electrically redundant and can be eliminated?
3) Per someone's post elsewhere recently, the long canbus cables are wasted weight and space. Are there shorter lengths out there, or better methods?
4) I saw a recent post where someone put iOSD Mini and Data Link inside. Like the elegance of that, but when I had shell open, I was a bit spooked by where the could go, and where they shouldn't go. If anyone has a good example, please share image. USB access to the iOSD is something to think about. Wouldn't want to have to open shell to update iOSD.
5) the cabling between the ImmersionRC and the FPV Hub is spliced, soldered, and heat shrunk. First time with heat shrink. Fun.
6) the antennae for the Data Link, shown in purple, are routed under/through several components in the install. The antennae are taped to the hull. Haven't fired up Data Link at all, so no clue how this antennae layout will perform.
7) I am not looking to save every gram of weight, nor achieve wind tunnel superiority, but looking for a clean install that achieves good/great range and quality on Futuba to P2, FPV back, and Data Link.
8) I used double stick tape that came with components here, but am thinking of switching to Velcro. Yesterday the ImmersionRC popped off as I was trying to remove battery. I used Velcro on my previous P2, and that method seems less brittle to me.

Appreciate any guidance for a better install. This is NOT a Picasa, so thick skin here for any comments you might have.

Kelly

Attachments

• P2 Install 17apr14.jpg
    P2 Install 17apr14.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,257
My shipment of a new P2 with H3-3D gimbal combo arrived yesterday afternoon from Atlanta Hobby. Imagine my disappointment to discover that it did not include the gimbal. I called Atlanta Hobby this morning. Jim told me that the H3-3D gimbal is not in stock. He said that he hopes to receive a shipment from DJI next week because he has 200 orders waiting for them.

He assured me that my order is still open and that I will receive the gimbal as soon as possible, although the shipment confirmation I received by email showed my order as complete and my credit card has been charged for the full amount. A lot of confusion here.

I love flying and filming with my current P2 and was looking forward to even a better filming experience this weekend. Big disappointment.

6600RPM said:
My shipment of a new P2 with H3-3D gimbal combo arrived yesterday afternoon from Atlanta Hobby. Imagine my disappointment to discover that it did not include the gimbal. I called Atlanta Hobby this morning. Jim told me that the H3-3D gimbal is not in stock. He said that he hopes to receive a shipment from DJI next week because he has 200 orders waiting for them.

He assured me that my order is still open and that I will receive the gimbal as soon as possible, although the shipment confirmation I received by email showed my order as complete and my credit card has been charged for the full amount. A lot of confusion here.

I love flying and filming with my current P2 and was looking forward to even a better filming experience this weekend. Big disappointment.
Did you get the newer P2Z with the hole in the bottom for the new gimbal?

RE the install post above that; place your iOSD mini and Air station on top of each other, but sideways. Also, put the FPV link on top of the iOSD mini-you don't need to have them separated that way.
By placing them sideways you have more room. As for the cables-got me, don't know.

Yes, I received the new version P2Z with the large hole in the bottom to accommodate the new H3-3D gimbal. Now, I just need the gimbal.

havasuphoto said:
6600RPM said:

RE the install post above that; place your iOSD mini and Air station on top of each other, but sideways. Also, put the FPV link on top of the iOSD mini-you don't need to have them separated that way.
By placing them sideways you have more room. As for the cables-got me, don't know.

6600RPM said:
Yes, I received the new version P2Z with the large hole in the bottom to accommodate the new H3-3D gimbal. Now, I just need the gimbal.

havasuphoto said:
6600RPM said:

Kinda strange they just sent you 1 piece of your order. Did you order the P2 and Gimbal together in a package? AH has been known to send out the older version of the P2 only, when you place such an order.
IF, I placed an order with a Dealer and they just sent the aircraft-I wouldn't be too happy.

As it is right now-I'm not too happy!! My Dealer(I "fired" the last one for this exact same reason) won't return phone calls or e-mails....this has been going on since Monday. Nobody on the Good Planet Earth has these in Stock. And if they do-they want $20 more than anyone else......

Has anyone done the Potentiometer knob hack with the H3-3D yet? I am having trouble with getting the full range of the knob to correlate to the movement of the gimbal. The gimbal is only using about 1/20th of the knob's range. Does anyone know how to fix or calibrate this? I would really appreciate the help as I am on location in Europe doing a shoot as we speak. Thanks everyone!

FoleyPhoto said:
Has anyone done the Potentiometer knob hack with the H3-3D yet? I am having trouble with getting the full range of the knob to correlate to the movement of the gimbal. The gimbal is only using about 1/20th of the knob's range. Does anyone know how to fix or calibrate this? I would really appreciate the help as I am on location in Europe doing a shoot as we speak. Thanks everyone!

Calibrating the X1 channel in the P2 assist software and then in the RC assist should fix this.

Sorry I haven't been on this board in a while.

I can't say I have had good experience with the H3-3D. I am about to throw it in the ocean.

Some days, I will get some great footage... for half the trip. Other days, it will be great most of the time - but not all. Inevitably I will see jello on some portion of the trip. It's usually a very minor kind of wobble, but bad enough that you can't correct or use it. This wobble happens no matter what balls I use, what gains I use, what speeds I fly, day or dusk. It seems better at dusk, but not always as I just found out on a sunset flight. You'll be flying along thinking you got something great then it will just start to wobble on your screen on the return flight or some variant thereof.

And what worked on one P2 doesn't work on another. It's intensely sensitive to balance and weight on the quad. Too sensitive, if you ask me.

I'll post what I put on RC Groups here:

After two weeks of testing, I cannot in any recommend buying the H3-3D gimbal for any serious work. Unlike the rock solid (insofar as vibration/jello goes) H2-2D gimbal, I have had nothing but problems with the H3. My own test shots show it all... sometimes, you get great, amazing video. Another day, half your shots are wobbling with various kinds of jello. I thought I found the right set of settings and stabilization balls, to find randomly another day they don't work. I have even tried an entirely new P2 with new transmitters, props, everything.... and the gimbal acts the same. Some days, no vibration artifacts, other days it's wobbling. The wind doesn't even seem to be a factor... as I have had no jello on a 30+mph wind day, and jello at dusk on a windless day. I just don't get it.

So as wonderful as this looks, I can say DON'T BUY IT until DJI fixes the vibration issue.

Anticipate said:
Sorry I haven't been on this board in a while.

I can't say I have had good experience with the H3-3D. I am about to throw it in the ocean.

Some days, I will get some great footage... for half the trip. Other days, it will be great most of the time - but not all. Inevitably I will see jello on some portion of the trip. It's usually a very minor kind of wobble, but bad enough that you can't correct or use it. This wobble happens no matter what balls I use, what gains I use, what speeds I fly, day or dusk. It seems better at dusk, but not always as I just found out on a sunset flight. You'll be flying along thinking you got something great then it will just start to wobble on your screen on the return flight or some variant thereof.

And what worked on one P2 doesn't work on another. It's intensely sensitive to balance and weight on the quad. Too sensitive, if you ask me.

I'll post what I put on RC Groups here:

After two weeks of testing, I cannot in any recommend buying the H3-3D gimbal for any serious work. Unlike the rock solid (insofar as vibration/jello goes) H2-2D gimbal, I have had nothing but problems with the H3. My own test shots show it all... sometimes, you get great, amazing video. Another day, half your shots are wobbling with various kinds of jello. I thought I found the right set of settings and stabilization balls, to find randomly another day they don't work. I have even tried an entirely new P2 with new transmitters, props, everything.... and the gimbal acts the same. Some days, no vibration artifacts, other days it's wobbling. The wind doesn't even seem to be a factor... as I have had no jello on a 30+mph wind day, and jello at dusk on a windless day. I just don't get it.

So as wonderful as this looks, I can say DON'T BUY IT until DJI fixes the vibration issue.

In my limited experience, the gimbal doesn't really have a real effect on jello as much as the mounting of the gimbal. My 2 cents.

I'm fortunate to have none of the jello or compass issues others seem to have. Just sticking my hand up to say it all ain't gloom and doom. Nothing but smooth video and good behavior with my first-gen P2 + H3-3D. Using version 2.0, default everything, and unbalanced default props to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoochase said:
In my limited experience, the gimbal doesn't really have a real effect on jello as much as the mounting of the gimbal. My 2 cents.

The H3-3D is integrated with its mount. So I'm talking about the gimbal, I'm talking about it's mount.

The only way I was able to remove jello was to add an ND filter and counterbalance that. I just tested it yesterday and all looked great. What is unknown is how this will affect the gimbal motors in the long-term. Many people are having issues, so as lovely as the neutral density effect is on footage in general, one should not need to apply it to get steady footage.

Not all of my flights have had Jell-O. In fact about half my flights for Jell-O free, usually in low light like at dusk. I'm not saying that every single shot had Jell-O, but it wasn't something you could rely on, because you would not know if the particular shot would have Jell-O or not. With the neutral density filter, I have no Jell-O and any shot. That's the way the gimbal should work all the time, for everybody, Period.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31