Zenmuse H3-2D Overheating GoPro Blacks

Reaction score
Just curious to see if anyone else has had some unusually hot GoPros after it has been in the gimbal for awhile.

It seems to me that the power source from the gimbal to the GoPro is way too strong.

GoPro would never suggest charging its 3.7v Li-ion batteries that power the camera with a 11.1v LiPo battery would they?

Afterall, the batteries for the gopro last like 2 hours.

Why would DJI even think we wanted this feature? No one asked for it. We just wanted stable video footage and good video tx capabilities.

Has anyone else had their GoPro's get extremely hot while mounted in the gimbal, or worse, fried?

Is there a solution to this problem?

I have had about ten flights with mine and no problems it seems to be fine each time. The only thing I had to do is the compass has gone screwy two times. Resetting it was a tricky.

Mine gets hot on the zenmuse too but it doesn't seem a problem other than being a waste of energy.

The safety cut off is the feature that drives me nuts!

BuyLowSellHigh said:
Just curious to see if anyone else has had some unusually hot GoPros after it has been in the gimbal for awhile.
It seems to me that the power source from the gimbal to the GoPro is way too strong.
GoPro would never suggest charging its 3.7v Li-ion batteries that power the camera with a 11.1v LiPo battery would they?
Afterall, the batteries for the gopro last like 2 hours.
Why would DJI even think we wanted this feature? No one asked for it. We just wanted stable video footage and good video tx capabilities.
Has anyone else had their GoPro's get extremely hot while mounted in the gimbal, or worse, fried?
Is there a solution to this problem?

The GoPro Black does get warm, on battery power alone, if left recording for 10 minutes or longer, I forgot to stop mine recording once for like 30 mins and it was definitely warm to the touch. No worries though, the little hamsters inside running on the wheel have to go pretty hard to keep the big CPU going, a little heat isn't a surprise or concern.

The charge voltage going to the gopro isn't straight 11.1v, it's regulated, don't worry :D

Thanks for the replies.

I probably got a little freaked because the GoPro just turned off in the middle of recording after about 3 mins. It was hot when I removed it from the gimbal and so I had to let it cool down before it would turn back on.

Glad to hear that the power going in to the camera is regulated, as well.

Even if its not damaging the GoPro, its still a dumb feature. The GoPro is that last thing that you need to power from the Phantom, it can run for an hour or two on its own battery, while you're only getting a few minutes of flying time. So why suck even more power from the Phantom battery where its already scarce, and waste it on the GoPro that doesn't need it?

To be honest I find no reduced flying time with Zen and GP installed.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the charging regulator is in the GCU? If it is we can always pull a pin on the ribbon cable to disable it?

I just installed the H3-2D on my F550 and my GoPro H3 Black is getting really, really hot. Like too hot to touch.
It's working just fine but I'm seriously concerned.

I have my Zenmuse on the way. I was unaware that it will power the GoPro. It brings a couple questions to mind.

1. will the GoPro power with out the battery in the bay and just running off of the Zenmuse power? Lighten the load

2. With devices like (Cell phones, tablets, Camera's) these they really slow the draw after 80-90% then draw only what they need to trickle charge. would this not be the same theory? so charge your camera prior to lift off and as long as the trickle can keep up with the usage (which it should without WiFi) you will be in good shape right?

Thoughts? I will test my gopro with no battery and attempt a power up.

BallisticPhantom said:
I have my Zenmuse on the way. I was unaware that it will power the GoPro. It brings a couple questions to mind.

1. will the GoPro power with out the battery in the bay and just running off of the Zenmuse power? Lighten the load

NO! - Do not run the GP without battery in it in the H3-2D. The Zenmuse is VERY particular on balance and it is setup specifically to work with a GP with a battery installed. The other thing is I am not sure how clever the charging circuit is in the gimbal and you MAY risk damaging the circuit with no battery in the GP.

2. With devices like (Cell phones, tablets, Camera's) these they really slow the draw after 80-90% then draw only what they need to trickle charge. would this not be the same theory? so charge your camera prior to lift off and as long as the trickle can keep up with the usage (which it should without WiFi) you will be in good shape right?
YES - That's pretty much what I do. I make sure the GP is fully charged before I go out for a shoot. You can even charge the GP while it is still on the gimbal - just plug in the USB and wait for the red light to go out! :p

Thoughts? I will test my gopro with no battery and attempt a power up.
I REALLY wouldn't if I were you - but, it's your GP and your gimbal :shock:

Thanks for the info. I will not try it without the battery... Until I do much more research on the subject. I am not one to risk the equipment for the heck of it. Unless someone pays me to that is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers