ZENMUSE Gimbal - Help!

Reaction score
I'm having EPIC issues with the Zenmuse Gimbal for the Phantom.

I received the gimbal, plugged it all in, and immediately, it pointed face down. If I plug in the batter with the transmitter off, it stayed level, but obviously that wont work.

I downloaded the Zenmuse Software Assistant and it asked me to UPDATE my current firmware. I did, updating it from 1.2 or something like that, to 1.8.

Now, as soon as I turn on my transmitter and Phantom, it initially points dead ahead as I turn it on, but then points directly down and starts shaking like crazy, but after a few seconds it settles out facing down .. then seconds later shakes like crazy again, only with more intensity.

I'm running out of time for a major production I have scheduled with the US Navy, and the drone is one of the key tools I'll be utilizing.

- I have tried turning off the Gimbal using the Software Assistant under ADVANCED and the GIMBAL. Nothing is working to get this gimbal operating correctly!

Are you using a Phantom 2? My only though is that the lever on the back of the remote is in the "down" position.

No matter what position the Lever on the back is in, the result is the same in that as long as the controller is off, the gimbal stays pointed down at a 45 degree angle or so, but steady. The second I turn the controller on, the gimbal goes berzerk. I turn the transmitter off, and it levels out and stays pointed in a position steady .. not sure how this is possible and am running out of time to fix it! My Specs.:

Original Phantom Quad
Gaui-100 FPV system
Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal
GoPro Hero 3 PLUS

I downloaded the Zenmuse Software assistant, and updated the firmware to 1.8.

BEFORE I updated the firmware, the gimbal just stayed level and wouldn't shudder or twitch all over the place. It just didn't respond to me moving the lever. This particular issue happened once I updated the firmware in the Zenmuse Software Assistant. Maybe there is a way to at least go back to the previous firmware, but I dont know how to do that or find a source with the old firmware for me to replace the new updated one with.

Go to Asst software -> Basic -> RC - calibrate your X1 (gimbal lever) right side of page

Hi - my Gimbal is doing the EXACT same thing. Did the solution offered fix your issue?

Thanks

I had the exact same issue when I received my new phantom with the zenmuse already installed by the dealer.

It went straight back and they replaced the whole gimbal, never got a technical explanation of what the fault was on the original unit,

I am having same issue with a new Phantom 2 with GoPro Hero 3+ silver. Worked fine for 7 flights. On the 8th once Phantom booted up the camera panned straight down. Gimbal still stablizes the camera, but gimbal does not respond to any command the Pan lever (X1) gives it. Did any one find a fix??? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Did any of you guys verify that you calibrated the X1 switch (gimbal tilt lever) inside the software??

Hello - i also had this issue. It may be a problem where the lever does not connect properly to the pot inside the remote control.
I had this issue with TWO remotes in a row - my second one is one the way now. First time, I also sent the phantom and gimbal back before I figured it out. I guess its a design issue. I think the tilt lever itself pushes the fragile pot mechanism inside the remote further away, as you use it more. When its not making contact any longer, no more tilt.

Try this - Turn on your phantom and remote, plug the phantom into the computer and launch the assistant software. Go to the remote calibration screen. With the AA batteries installed and the remote control powered ON, unscrew the screws on the back of the remote controller and open it up. you'll notice a little plastic knob that the tilt lever is designed to make contact with. It looks like a plastic philips head.
Using needle nosed pliers or your fingers, carefully turn the little plastic knob as if you were using the tilt lever. Don't damage or strip the piece as you move it. I wouldn't put a screwdriver in there to move it, its fragile. When you move the pot, does the camera tilt? Does the software respond? If so, the problem is the tilt lever on the remote.

Besides spending $300+ dollars for a different remote, i'm open to suggestions about how to permanently fix this problem.

I had similar problems with Zenmuse H3-3D on a Phantom 2, after firmware updates the camera would no longer point downward. Calibrating the X1 in the software (on a Mac), fixed it instantly. Thanks guys.

you guys with the problem, have you updated your RC firmware? a lot of us around here had the same issue, upgrading the firmware on the P2 before the RC causes the exact issue described by OP and some of the others.
If you get into that jam, first off run the RC assistant software and any upgrade necessary. then do a calibration. it doesn't specifically tell you mess with the X1 lever, but do it.
Once it seems fine in the RC assistant software, go back to the Phantom Assistant software and again do a stick calibration including moving the X1 lever.
After that you should be able to see in the PA software that the X1 level moves normally. I actually had to do the calibrations multiple times before the X1 lever got really smooth

QYV said:
you guys with the problem, have you updated your RC firmware? a lot of us around here had the same issue, upgrading the firmware on the P2 before the RC causes the exact issue described by OP and some of the others.
If you get into that jam, first off run the RC assistant software and any upgrade necessary. then do a calibration. it doesn't specifically tell you mess with the X1 lever, but do it.
Once it seems fine in the RC assistant software, go back to the Phantom Assistant software and again do a stick calibration including moving the X1 lever.
After that you should be able to see in the PA software that the X1 level moves normally. I actually had to do the calibrations multiple times before the X1 lever got really smooth

The above procedure worked for me. First calibrate using the RC System Assistant and then calibrate using the Phantom 2 Assistant.

I have the issue of the camera pointing down all the time and the Tilt not responding to the remote. I managed to solve it using this item: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKpCJhkLZ1Q

so:
1. add some kind of washer underneath the control board to lift it up a little. This will cause the lever to get 'grip' on the POT-meter that controls the tilt
2. Recalibrate your Tilt control

Some bad design of the control, I would say!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers