Zenmuse for Go Pro 4. Any news?

what about using the hero 4 without the battery? when you balance like that the motor will work with less weight, its working for me now, the only problem im having is that when stoping the recording the camera turns off, then I need to turn it on again and the file is repaired, I know it cant be reliable like this but until now every repair of the files have worked wonderful, would be great that some company comes with a gopro hero 4 battery of maybe just 400mah instead of 1200mah to make the hero 4 almost same weight of the hero 3 and have enough battery to turn on the camera before turning on the gimbal

Removing the battery of the GoPro will lower your flight time with the Phantom. I have even interrupted the power source to the GoPro with some tape on the flat cable so only the video signal is passed through. I don't have any problems with the few more grams of extra weight from the GoPro 4. In all cases the gimbal needs recalibration. The last time they did this in a RC shop when my X1 was broken. Somehow this software is not downloadable from the DJI website. I have read in the official H3-3D that the gimbal comes fully calibrated for the GoPro 3. If I attach a coin on my gimbal with the GoPro 4 installed it becomes unstable so we should be able to adjust the way the gimbal acts with the weight on the platform. Anyone knows where to download that software?

Xibel said:
Removing the battery of the GoPro will lower your flight time with the Phantom. I have even interrupted the power source to the GoPro with some tape on the flat cable so only the video signal is passed through. I don't have any problems with the few more grams of extra weight from the GoPro 4. In all cases the gimbal needs recalibration. The last time they did this in a RC shop when my X1 was broken. Somehow this software is not downloadable from the DJI website. I have read in the official H3-3D that the gimbal comes fully calibrated for the GoPro 3. If I attach a coin on my gimbal with the GoPro 4 installed it becomes unstable so we should be able to adjust the way the gimbal acts with the weight on the platform. Anyone knows where to download that software?

Will depend on your setup, but im pretty sure the flight time you will loss will be measured in seconds, for me the best route would be a low mah battery for the hero 4 so that it weight get just like the hero 3

Just bought a new Phantom 1.1.1; upgrade mainboard; H3-3D gimbal; P1 landing gear gimbal mount extension kit and GoPro Hero 4 Black from B&H. All went together perfectly. I was aware of the side button/gimbal arm issue before purchase but forgot about it during installation and test flights since it didn't pose a problem. A dozen flights so far without any issue other than in increased hum from the gimbal motor when the tilt is all the way forward (up). Tilt down a few degrees and the hum goes away. Doesn't always do it. Not sure what to think. It's been updated and calibrated. The filter board didn't seem to make a difference with anything so it's off for now. The H3-3D is a nice upgrade from the H3-2D with the third axis buffering. Didn't expect it to be as noticeable as it is. 4k@30 and 1080@120 is sweet on the new GoPro! Looking forward to a night flight...

With the Hero 4 and H3-3D gimbal fully operational, I am not getting much more than 15 minutes of flight time. Nowhere near the 25 minutes appearing in some of the representations, but 15 is pretty much the norm from what I'm reading on various boards.

When I attached the dime, the gimbal went crazy and would not adjust. One of the dealers suggested I not add any extra weight to the gimbal, that it would over tax it. My camera, when off, always hangs to the lower right with the "Hero4" logo corner touching the surface (don't particularly like that touching anything during travel). It is not balanced in the gimbal when off. Some guys are saying, most likely, the situation will lead to premature end life because the gimbal is working harder when on to achieve stable balance.

Ed

ems1016 said:
My camera, when off, always hangs to the lower right with the "Hero4" logo corner touching the surface

Hi Ed,

I have the same "hanging" like you and also tried a €0,05 on the left side and also not working. I don't have the idea that the gimbal is working harder when it hangs like that. It also hanged with the GoPro3 so I am sure it will all be ok.

Xibel said:
ems1016 said:
My camera, when off, always hangs to the lower right with the "Hero4" logo corner touching the surface

Hi Ed,

I have the same "hanging" like you and also tried a €0,05 on the left side and also not working. I don't have the idea that the gimbal is working harder when it hangs like that. It also hanged with the GoPro3 so I am sure it will all be ok.

Your gimbal arm must be bent then if it's hanging with the 3 as well.

actually there are a plethora of discussions over in the H3-3D forum regarding gimbals not being perfectly balanced, even with the Hero3 or 3+. I personally had that issue, with the Hero3+ Black my H3-3D was NOT neutral balanced, so I was getting some noise and "yaw kicks" whenever I tried to use it. I had to add some counterbalance to the side to achieve neutral balance, afterwards it worked fine during flight.

the point is, it's not entirely accurate to say "your gimbal arm must be bent if it's hanging (not neutral balanced) with the 3 as well". many folks had similar issue... has to be some sort of variance or problem in production of the h3-3d.

When I went to the Hero4 of course it's even heavier than the 3+ so I had to add some different counterbalance to achieve neutral balance... so now, facing the gopro the gimbal is now heavy to the RIGHT side... so counterbalance must be added on the left where the gimbal motor is.
Some people tape or glue a coin to the actual end of the silver motor on the left, others added the counterweight to the arm as demonstrated in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g3xWVyJ63k

QYV said:
actually there are a plethora of discussions over in the H3-3D forum regarding gimbals not being perfectly balanced, even with the Hero3 or 3+. I personally had that issue, with the Hero3+ Black my H3-3D was NOT neutral balanced, so I was getting some noise and "yaw kicks" whenever I tried to use it. I had to add some counterbalance to the side to achieve neutral balance, afterwards it worked fine during flight.

the point is, it's not entirely accurate to say "your gimbal arm must be bent if it's hanging (not neutral balanced) with the 3 as well". many folks had similar issue... has to be some sort of variance or problem in production of the h3-3d.

hmm perhaps a QC issue, I haven't come accross an unbalanced H3-3D before. If it was unbalanced with the hero 3 out of the box, I would take it back for a swap out.

I've ordered extended legs and a camera guard just to avoid the right corner of the Hero 4 always touching a surface. Just my **** retentive side. Lol! I just love this set up. Pics are crisp and steady. Personally, I could not be happier with the Phantom 2, Zemuse 3 and GoPro Hero 4 combo.

Ed

So any news on an official hero 4 Zenmuse rather then modifying the old one?

wat17 said:

I wrote DJI sales a couple weeks ago and their response was "the h3-3d is compatible with the hero 4". I responded with questions about weight balance and the wireless button but of course they ignored that one.

My guess (and it is just a guess) is: not anytime soon. I'd love for them to surprise us all and come out with a Zenmuse XX-3D designed and balanced for Hero4, but I think they've been completely focused on the Inspire

QYV said:
wat17 said:

I wrote DJI sales a couple weeks ago and their response was "the h3-3d is compatible with the hero 4". I responded with questions about weight balance and the wireless button but of course they ignored that one.

My guess (and it is just a guess) is: not anytime soon. I'd love for them to surprise us all and come out with a Zenmuse XX-3D designed and balanced for Hero4, but I think they've been completely focused on the Inspire
A new phantom will be released soon. I bet a new zenmuse too.

My guess is because they where focused on the Inspire... the "upgraded" Phantom 2 came out already later than the Phantom v1.1.1 last year... so don't expect a Phantom 3 before spring 2015...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31