Zenmuse for Go Pro 4. Any news?

Reaction score
I see that some updated Phantom 2's are coming out with new transmitters, engines etc.

Any news on a Zenmuse for the GoPro 4?

I'm curious about this myself. looking forward to hearing if anyone has solid info about DJI making a Zenmuse designed and balanced for the Hero4, I just can't get my H3-3D and Hero4 to work perfectly, slight horizon imbalance

I am having no issues that I know of with (P2), Fatshark, H3-3D v2 and GP4 Black. What do you mean by 'horizon imbalance'?

No matter what I do, when the Phantom is powered on and the gopro is facing straight ahead, there's a 2-3 degree tilt to the right. I have it neutral balanced just fine with the power off.

and when I mount my Hero3 it is level. but when I swap out for the 4... tilt to the right. tried with battery in, battery out, advanced IMU cali... still acting the same. very frustrating

QYV said:
No matter what I do, when the Phantom is powered on and the gopro is facing straight ahead, there's a 2-3 degree tilt to the right. I have it neutral balanced just fine with the power off.

and when I mount my Hero3 it is level. but when I swap out for the 4... tilt to the right. tried with battery in, battery out, advanced IMU cali... still acting the same. very frustrating

Maybe a stupid comment but could the Hero4 be bad? Have you tried setting the Hero4 on a table sans Phantom and see if the video is tilted?

hehe good effort but indeed, I can visually see the tilt it's a physical tilt of the gimbal not just the gopro.

It's a moot point now, I was flying yesterday and had a bad crash and this particular H3-3D is dead, so I've reached out to DJI via email and Twitter asking if they're planning a Zenmuse H3-xx for designed for Hero4 anytime soon... if I get any reponse I'll let yall know for sure!

I have heard mixed reports about the h3-3d and the GoPro 4. If DJI were happy it worked well no doubt they would have said something.

I got an email back from DJI Sales, all they said was "the H3-3D is compatible with Hero 4, our technical team is testing to get best performance"

I responded back with the balance and having to grind down the plate to achieve full compatibility but I guess they aren't going to respond to that one, it was 2 days ago.

So I guess they are happy *shrug*

What financial incentive does DJI have to respond? They don't package the Hero 4 and Zemuse 3. To approve it only serves to conflict with their financial best interest of what they sell. Cliff at Atlanta Hobby has thoroughly tested the combination with no issues. His reputation is good in this hobby, is it not? As soon as I receive it, for what it's worth, you will receive my testimony here. Ed

I have h3-3d gimbal with hero4 silver and it's working well. The camera is perfectly level. I saw a youtube video where the guy balances it out using a penny or a dime.

While some vendors are saying it does work. My local vendor says it needs modification.

I am 100% sure if it worked without issue DJI would be advertising that it works.

first off, want to be clear that my problem (horizon imbalance) was unique to me, certainly wasn't trying to insinuate that every H3-3D had the problem with Hero4, only mine.

that being said, there ARE 2 universal problems with the H3-3D and Hero4:
1) balance. The H3-3D was balanced for the hero3 not the hero4, which is over 10g heavier. The end user must therefore add counterweight to try to achieve balance on the gimbal, and any imperfections can lead to excessive wear & tear on the gimbal motors and potentially early burnout
2) the new "tools" button on the side of the hero4 is not flush with the gopro body but instead sticks out slightly. When seated firmly in the H3-3D, this button becomes depressed by the H3-3D bracket. This causes the button to be "pressed and held" - meaning if your WIFI was OFF when you put the camera in the bracket, the button will be pressed and held which turns on the GoPro's wifi. This could lead to signal loss, flyaway and loss or crash or Phantom. This actually happened to me once, fortunately my Phantom just went into Return to Home mode and didn't fly away
This issue and a modification to prevent it is addressed in this youtube video.

It is for those 2 reasons that I feel confident in stating that the H3-3D is not NATIVELY compatible with the Hero4 and requires end-user modification.
I was merely hoping for a newer model gimbal that was already properly balanced and compatible with the Hero4, as opposed to having to make those modifications and potentially void a warranty.

I have flown the P2 with the H3 3D a couple of times now, and have no issue. The gimbal has been used to balance both the Hero 3 and the Hero 4 and it was successful both times. I did not make the physical change - i.e., using a dremel to alter the mount, and balance has been fine.

I would recommend people try it as is before they start making changes they have seen on line.

QYV said:
It is for those 2 reasons that I feel confident in stating that the H3-3D is not NATIVELY compatible with the Hero4 and requires end-user modification.

This is absolute ******** based upon my experience (and many others' experience) with the H3-3d v2 gimbal and a H3b+ and an H4b (both with and without battery and with/without ND filter).

What has motivated you to post his misinformation?

p.s. please reference examples of "gimbal motor burnout" that have actually occurred (idle speculation does not count as proof)

p.p.s. please post video proof that the wifi button will be turned on when the GoPro is placed int eh H3-3D. I have never experienced this.

While it seems to works for some, others are having issues. Like I said before I am 100% sure if it worked without issue DJI would be advertising that it works.

EBOLA Popsicle said:
This is absolute ******** based upon my experience (and many others' experience) with the H3-3d v2 gimbal and a H3b+ and an H4b (both with and without battery and with/without ND filter).

What has motivated you to post his misinformation?

p.s. please reference examples of "gimbal motor burnout" that have actually occurred (idle speculation does not count as proof)

p.p.s. please post video proof that the wifi button will be turned on when the GoPro is placed int eh H3-3D. I have never experienced this.

With a name like that you're obviously a troll but for the sake of others reading this thread I'll address it.
First off, I'm very clear about speculation and potential vs fact, and my motivation for posting is to help the members of this community so you can cram your insults and attitude up your ebola-hole.

POTENTIAL:
I don't have the time or patience to teach you how a gimbal works at a mechanical level but when you've got a piece of fine-tuned equipment that is precisely balanced for a certain weight, and then you add more weight than what it was designed for the motors now have to work harder. The more out of balance your device is, the harder the motors have to work... therefore you're now putting more than average/expected wear and tear on your motors. Every motor burns out eventually (fact). Will it cause the gimbal motors to burn out in 500 hours instead of 1000 hours? or 900 vs 1000? I don't know the life expectancy of the H3-3D motors but if you don't properly balance everything they're going to burn out earlier than if they were properly balanced. This is why I said there was POTENTIAL to burn your motors out more quickly than with a perfectly, properly balanced gimbal.
The chance of crashing is probably higher than reaching EOL on the motors, sure... that's certainly the track I'm on heh.

for "video proof" of the settings button being pressed, I'd like to direct you to... drumroll please... the video I linked in the post that got you all worked up in the first place. From about 8 to 24 seconds it's clearly visible. This was exactly what was/is happening to mine, a friend's, and a multitude of other people on this forum. Whatever state your wireless is in, it will toggle. So if your wireless is OFF and you mount the gopro in the gimbal, it toggles it on... and vice versa.

I'm always trying to give people, even confrontational assholes, some benefit of doubt so I will say that I've also seen a few folks on this forum claiming that the bracket doesn't affect their settings button. Maybe it's a difference between the v1 and v2 H3-3D, I'm not sure but you can't argue that plenty of people are having the problem, it's ALL OVER THE FREAKING INTERNET.
Additionally, if someone were to, say get the hero4 in the h3-3d and not have the wireless toggle on, and that person were to never remove the gimbal from the housing... you wouldn't ever notice the issue. For those of us (like me) that take the gopro in/out of the gimbal frequently it's a major hassle. Several times I've forgotten to have the hero4 wireless "on" when I put it in the gimbal (so that it toggles off) and when I fly away, lose control at short range. fortunately when it returns to home I'm able to resume control and fix it but it's still a major hassle and lost flight time.

It's a simple fact that the H3-3D was not designed specifically for the Hero4. Period. Fact.

Just because something works, doesn't mean it was designed specifically for it. The point of this thread was to exchange information about a newer gimbal which IS designed for the Hero 4. If you don't have anything constructive to add on that front I humbly suggest you go be a **** somewhere else.

QYV: After pushing Atlanta Hobby with your seemingly sensical and intelligent points, they could not deny you would be right. They acknowledged to me that premature end of gimbal life use is a disinct possibility. However, I have fourth stage cancer and only have less than a year to live---so, not too worried (about the life of the gimbal that is).

Don't understand why there has to be rude and foul language people in every hobby---a freaking HOBBY that is supposed to be fun. QYV, you are obviously an intelligent person with very valid points, but you reduce yourself to your challenger's level with such unnecessary and abusive language. Not appreciated. Wish you could see life from my eyes---the eyes of a dying man. You guys have absolutely nothing here to get so worked up over. It's a freaking hobby---not life and death. Enjoy the ride---enjoy the flight. Geez.

I think our resident troll (Pete) is back. He should know better. Motor burn out is not some made up argument.

It's more than likely the motors on the gimbal are sized to handle the load they're intended to carry and not more. Adding more weight than intended will increase static loads on the motors but more importantly, it will cause significantly larger transient inertial loads when the gimbal is moved.

And even if the burnout takes a long time, you will likely see increased vibration pretty quickly. You may not notice it for a while, but your video quality will suffer.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj