Zenmuse Dead?

Just updated my Zenmuse H3-2D GCU and re-calibrated X1. That was a waste of time. Still Screeching. Oh well. I'm sure DJI will have a response soon!

Mike

I also bought the gimbel and it worked fine for 2 flights then started to squeal. The back motor gets very hot. Sometimes the gimbal will not squeal for a few minutes and then as soon as the copter takes off the squealing with start back up. I also updated all the firmware and software and that did nothing to fix the problem.Should we stop using the gimble until they figure out what is wrong?

rbulard said:
I also bought the gimbel and it worked fine for 2 flights then started to squeal. The back motor gets very hot. Sometimes the gimbal will not squeal for a few minutes and then as soon as the copter takes off the squealing with start back up. I also updated all the firmware and software and that did nothing to fix the problem.Should we stop using the gimble until they figure out what is wrong?
I've stopped using mine as i believe it's only a matter of time before the heat build up damages the gimbal beyond repair. I'm hoping that DJI will bring out a firmware update that will fix it but i may send mine back anyway as there is no telling what effect the heat has done to it..

I also updated all the firmware and software and that did nothing to fix the problem.Should we stop using the gimble until they figure out what is wrong?

I was hoping that the updated firmware would have solved the problems.

I think I will call my dealer on Monday, and ask for some "parental guidance" on the matter.

The fact that the little motors are getting hot, and squealing, is not a good sign at all.

I hate to be the one to say it, but I bet a lot of us are thinking it right now: there may be a fatal design flaw in the actual hardware of this unit. The motors (particularly the one that handles the roll compensation since that one is 90-100% the one that starts squealing first) almost seem too small or weak for the task assigned them of keeping the GoPro level. How did I come to this conclusion?

When the quad is powered up and hovering in place, or sitting on your workbench and powered up for NAZA calibration, the gimbal is leveling itself out and holding the same relative position for long periods of time. The motors make a low humming sound just to keep this position, indicating they have to work to achieve it. So it's no surprise that the motors squeal/burn out in this exact same position as is the case with almost every gimbal that has started squealing within the last week, including mine. Roll the quad, gimbal goes quiet, level it out, and the squealing starts.

If mine wasn't already sent back to the dealer, at this point I'd say if you just received yours, I would definitely hold off on an install/power up until we get an official word of acknowledgment from DJI, or a main NAZA/PMU firmware update above ver 3.14 that may change the frequency response of the gimbal motors. That is the only thing that would change my mind on the matter.

From what I gathered with my gimbal, once it starts squealing, the hardware is already damaged and no software/firmware update is going to fix it. Reading through the change log for the new update to the IMU/GCU, it introduces a new hibernation mode so the motors don't burn themselves out, but I don't see how this is going to fix gimbals that are already squealing from damage.

Another screechy gimbal here. It's working at the moment, but now I'm scared to power it up. Very disappointed after 6 great flights and now it's dying? Canceling my flying plans for the day and calling my dealer ASAP Monday. Doh!!

Does anyone know what the warranty is on the Gimbal from DJI? I've looked all over their website and can find nothing. No warranty card was included in the box. Strange way for a company to do business IMO.

I've been afraid to fly mine as well. About 8 minutes of run time and no problem yet, but it's disconcerting to hear about 4 to 6 flights into it is when the whining starts.

I'm thinking of just disconnecting the cable to the gimbal and and reattaching my original GoPro mount until the company comes out with some official word on their corrective actions!

I also wonder what sort of warranty can exist for a "plug and play" device that you have solder four connections to the mother board and reassemble the whole body without damaging something in the process, or at least not be accused by the company of being a user problem.

I was probably being extremely naive in seeing all the "beta tester" videos and thinking this was a well tested product!

Their legal department is going to have a lot of damage control to contend with!

-Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DJI brought out an update for the GCU earlier, v1.04 but it didn't fix it as the gimbal continues to screech and get hot so it's now on it's way back to my supplier :(

My fear is that once the screeching starts, there's nothing that will get you back to a proper working gimbal.

My own update is that my gimbal is due to arrive back with DJI Europe today after they requested it be sent on from my dealer. I don't know whether they plan to repair it, replace it... or what...

Until DJI make a clear statement, it isn't obvious whether any of the recent updates;
@Zenmuse H3-2D Firmware IMU v1.02 July 12th
@Zenmuse H3-2D Firmware CMU v1.0 July 12th
@Zenmuse H3-2D Firmware GCU v1.04 July 15th

...are meant to address this potential problem for those people who still have fully working gimbals.

Mine has now been returned to the dealer but it's unclear what they intend to do which means I'm well out of pocket :(

Do you think it's okay to fly without the gimbal attached? I was about to unplug the ribbon cable from the gimbal and just run it with my old GoPro mount. Mine's working okay right now, but it only has a few minutes of run time and I don't want to risk burning it out until the new firmware has been proven to solve the problem.

Thanks,

Todd

Owners of failed gimbals, frustrated by DJI's inability to make any comment on the issue, are now using DJI's Facebook page to try to get a public response: https://www.facebook.com/iflydji
Read the full conversation under "We have updated firmware downloads for the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal"

ditka said:
Add another dead one to the list

Installed H3-2D today...all solder connections were done by an experienced Hobby Shop tech here in town
I then did the simple connections and install
I have doubled checked and triple checked all connections...gimbal is getting power
But it Just sits limp...with a low hum...

Submitting an RMA to B&H where I bought the unit....( which is another frustrating story...received the Gimbal 2 weeks ago...but only received the PMU V2 today )

Just a quick update....DJI support replied back to me...and they copied B&H on the email. B&H issued an RMA and I
Received a new H3-2D yesterday...and it works flawlessly.

jonboy40 said:
Owners of failed gimbals, frustrated by DJI's inability to make any comment on the issue, are now using DJI's Facebook page to try to get a public response: https://www.facebook.com/iflydji
Read the full conversation under "We have updated firmware downloads for the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal"

Here's a snippet from FB today (17-JUL):

[Name Edited]: any word on the fix for the dying gimbals? did he update still dead.
1 · Yesterday at 8:23am

DJI Innovations [Name], we are working hard on that as well. Send us a message and we'll connect you with support.
Yesterday at 8:36am

Well-at least there are some signs of customer support, albeit somewhat haphazard...

I posted the same that mine was dead and there's got to be a problem, its now gone. I got word back from RCRUS, my gimbal is on its way to hong kong.

I installed mine today. Geez - what a pain getting everything to fit. It is crazy and just does not seem to be a good idea to cram everything in this case. I also cannot believe just how heavy the gimbal is!

Anyway, my first flight was fine. A few hours later, when I powered it up for flight number two, during the Phantom warm up process, I could smell it burning. I removed the battery and the gimbal was extremely hot. It seems mine is fried now too.

:evil:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20