YouTube used for Enforcement

Reaction score
http://www.suasnews.com/2015/01/34002/8 ... drone-use/

Surprised it took this long to happen. Count on the FAA doing the same thing. I know that they already review YouTube and once they feel they have actual authority to do something you can bet they will use that tool along with Facebook, etc. looking for violators. They don't need a thousand field personnel, just one guy with a compute will do nicely. They do not have to go looking for you, you will provide the evidence for them!!

In order to fine someone, don't you have to prove they did it? Posting a video to Youtube is not a violation.

Exactly. People will post other peoples vids all the time. I'm not worried about any of this. I don't invade people and do dumb crap. I just fly and enjoy what I do.

SilentAV8R said:
http://www.suasnews.com/2015/01/34002/850-drone-fine-casa-using-youtube-to-identify-illegal-drone-use/

Surprised it took this long to happen. Count on the FAA doing the same thing. I know that they already review YouTube and once they feel they have actual authority to do something you can bet they will use that tool along with Facebook, etc. looking for violators. They don't need a thousand field personnel, just one guy with a compute will do nicely. They do not have to go looking for you, you will provide the evidence for them!!

How do you "know" they (the FAA) review YouTube videos?

I don't think "know" is the correct word no one can know unless they say it out loud, I think it gets "out there" and becomes noticed in the first instance and youtube videos are the perfect way it just makes sense, this is proven time and time again so it was a fair call to make really

I'd put a dollar on them looking, we know the CIA does it as they have said they do and many other social networking places as well.

steveeds said:
I don't think "know" is the correct word no one can know unless they say it out loud, I think it gets "out there" and becomes noticed in the first instance and youtube videos are the perfect way it just makes sense, this is proven time and time again so it was a fair call to make really

I'd put a dollar on them looking, we know the CIA does it as they have said they do and many other social networking places as well.

It wouldn't surprise me if authorities look from time to time, at the most. But I highly doubt that the FAA is policing YouTube at this time.
If they were, I believe they would be threatening a lot more people with fines.
As another member is fond of saying, "Where is the blood, where is the mayhem?" Where are the prosecutions or letters of warning? I think sometimes the admonitions not to post to YouTube, we walk a thin line between caution and fear mongering.

But I am actually curious if anyone who has posted an altitude or distance video, or a video of them flying outside of the FAA's current recommendations has actually been contacted by the FAA?

ianwood said:
In order to fine someone, don't you have to prove they did it? Posting a video to Youtube is not a violation.

Umm, but the video provides the evidence of the violation. When you post it with a "Hey look at me" on it, that pretty much settles it.

GoodnNuff said:
SilentAV8R said:
http://www.suasnews.com/2015/01/34002/850-drone-fine-casa-using-youtube-to-identify-illegal-drone-use/

I have been told this by 2 people whom I trust to have the straight scoop. They are both people with direct contact with the FAA people working on the sUAS Rule.

SilentAV8R said:
GoodnNuff said:
But I am actually curious if anyone who has posted an altitude or distance video, or a video of them flying outside of the FAA's current recommendations has actually been contacted by the FAA?

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/playout/2015 ... -response/

You're right. I remember seeing this on tv on, I believe, "Right This Minute" after it had gone viral and before it was posted on this forum.
But was this the result of the FAA policing YouTube, or the result of?:

Thorin’s first step was to ask the person running the ham radio Facebook page to take down the video.

His next move was to enlist the help of ViralSpiral, a company specializing in promoting and managing video in an effort to make it viral. In December, the video received about 30,000 views, but thanks to the efforts of ViralSpiral the number of views swelled to 1.3 million as of Jan. 7.

The drone video has gone worldwide, with versions narrated by native speakers in China and India. “I don’t understand a word being said, till they say ‘Prairie Aerial,’ ” Thorin says with a chuckle.

I still think we would see many more cases like this if the FAA were actually policing YouTube.
And I think it is important to note that FAA's beef with Thorin was his commercial use of his drone:
http://prairieaerial.com/ and not necessarily the actual video of him on the tower.

SilentAV8R said:
GoodnNuff said:
SilentAV8R said:

I have been told this by 2 people whom I trust to have the straight scoop. They are both people with direct contact with the FAA people working on the sUAS Rule.

Now I can propagate this FAA rumor because I know someone who knows someone who knows someone. And..it was reinforced by someone on the internet who saw it on television.

Off topic but it was said aloud in another recent thread about Trolls, so "is Mac trolling" here , if I'm wrong do let me know but I'm feeling clever right now in I think I have spotted the dreaded affliction :)

Mac said
"Now I can propagate this FAA rumor because I know someone who knows someone who knows someone. And..it was reinforced by someone on the internet who saw it on television.

By saying the first part "Now I can propagate this FAA rumor" he has setup the insult, anything said after that doesn't matter as he has put up the reactionary line

Silent replies with "whatever" but he sets up his insult with the rolly eyes (brilliant I thought) it's an attempt at making Mac look foolish (in many ways) and if it ended at that point the dismissive "whatever" would have worked

But, Mac gives the "look in the mirror" reply, not going into that that's where the Trolling comes into play ?
I hope I'm right if not give me the rolly eyes or more, I can take it :)

This is not personal to either person and please don't take offence, just a bit of fun.

SilentAV8R said:
ianwood said:

Umm, but the video provides the evidence of the violation. When you post it with a "Hey look at me" on it, that pretty much settles it.

Unless the video shows the person operating the controls or they attest to conducting the flight, there is no proof that they were flying it at the time the violation was made.

This is the same logic used to defend 'red light camera' violations. Only the car's plate is photographed, not the driver.
Currently the owner gets the ticket.
They [cameras] are slowly being removed (in S. Fla) as more and more cases are successfuly defended.

ianwood said:
SilentAV8R said:
ianwood said:

Unless the video shows the person operating the controls or they attest to conducting the flight, there is no proof that they were flying it at the time the violation was made.

Got it. SO that really nice video you posted of you flying all over downtown LA, that wasn't you, right? Somebody stole your Phantom, hacked your account, posted how they had flown the video pretending to be you, and then posted it under your account.

Reminds me of the joke about the guy telling the judge that he did not kill the guy, he was just standing there when the guy came around the corner and ran into his knife, THIRTY-SEVEN times, BACKWARDS!!!!!!

SilentAV8R said:
Got it. SO that really nice video you posted of you flying all over downtown LA, that wasn't you, right? Somebody stole your Phantom, hacked your account, posted how they had flown the video pretending to be you, and then posted it under your account.

No laws/regs were broken in any of my videos! :D Anyway, I'm not talking about me personally. I'm saying that there is a burden of proof that needs to be met. Much like when you go through a red light camera, the camera needs to capture an image of you in the driver's seat otherwise they just have a picture of your car.

That's not to say the FAA won't try. I'm sure they will. But without proof, it's kind of an empty threat.

ianwood said:
SilentAV8R said:
ianwood said:

The guy admitted to everything so there was no contesting it.
I suppose in that situation you are the cat that ate the canary.

Cat-smiling.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1