Youtube uploads. 4k what format.

Back. Ok set up aircraft. Gone into DJI app. Put camera and video on manual. Opened up manual settings. All I can see is shutter speed settings and ISO. Where do you set the frame rate?

Update.

Sorted. Frame Rate is now 25fps and speed is 1/50. Going to give that a go and see if it improves things at all. :)

Trouble is its freezing out there, literally. Dont fancy going out in it, would like to fly but brrrrr.

Last edited:
You can't just set it in advance like that and go - it will be over-exposed.
There is an indicator on screen for your exposure level.
In reasonable daylight you want ISO 100 then you'll have to compromise the shutter speed to keep the exposure around 0.0

In my opinion a lot of irrelevant rot is talked about shutter speed in relation to the P3 camera.
Since the aperture is fixed the only way you can expose correctly using 1/50th is to have a range of ND filters.
In ideal conditions with a camera set on a tripod you might actually achieve the mystic ideal shutter speed, but we are using something more like a gopro camera and it gives very acceptable results looking after the shutter on its own.

There is nothing wrong with leaving it on Auto but set the EV at 0.0 or -0.3
Exposure varies wildly as you look up.down or turn and in manual you will need to keep tweaking it when you mostly have other things to think about.

Not sure about the "irrelevant rot". I have had very good results with using Inexpensive ND filters to achieve the desired shutter speed. Many phantom pilots are photographers first, pilots second, and this piece is somewhat second nature to that contingent. I definitely get better results this way, in combination with shooting values set to make the raw product look somewhat drab and bland. It is much easier to and effective to bring out the colors from drab looking video than to reverse the process. But, if you are not into video editing and are not familiar with color grading processes, well, that can be a whole undertaking in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

And btw, you can use ND filters in conjunction with Auto. No one says you have to hit the mystic number. But in bright sunlight using NF filters to being the shutter speed down significantly does make a difference. Just depends on what your trying to achieve I guess.

Sorted, sort of.

I did a bit of filming this morning. Kept the frame rate to 20fps. Uploaded it to Youtube. Below is the result. Non Juddery video. Quite clear too. You can even click the bottom right hand corner of the video where the cog is and select 1020p to watch it in an even higher resolution. I am quite pleased. So for the sampler.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Footage looks good. I would be careful though flying as low and as fast as you are, especially as a new pilot. It's pretty easy to bump or even incorrectly control your phantom. The camera gimbal is pretty fragile, and can get messed up fairly easily in a crash. I would fly higher, and away from trees and other obstacles for a while until your more familiar with the quad. Hate to see crashes anytime, but especially early on.

Thank you for the warning :) But I fly that low just to get used to the controls. Very good for making you concentrate. Before that little snippet I had flown quite a distance in practice. My next trick is to fly around trees etc.

Thank you for the warning :) But I fly that low just to get used to the controls. Very good for making you concentrate. Before that little snippet I had flown quite a distance in practice. My next trick is to fly around trees etc.
Okey dokey. It's your money. I'm just saying you can get used to the controls at a higher altitude and give yourself some room for error.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but was wondering if could I ask a question regarding uploading quality to YouTube.?

New to this, I have a Phantom 3 standard with the 2.7k camera. I'm really pleased with the results. I've been recording in 2.7 but when I've uploaded the footage via the SD card on my computer, it is only showing on YouTube as 1440p? I'm a complete novice to this and cannot understand why? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot to mention, I normally view my footage on my Nexus 6 mobile, could it be he maximum for my screen and that's why I only see 1440p? Confused... Sorry.

Last edited:
If you look at the footage on youtube and take a look at the bottom right hand corner, where the cog thing is, you can set the resolution to what ever you want. :)

As for hijacking the tread feel free. Any contribution is welcome, it makes us think. :)

Also - just to state the obvious, you want a fast internet to see a sharp youtube video. With a slow internet, it'll look blurry even if it's not. Finally, when you first upload and then view the vid, it'll be very blurry. It's takes a little while to get sharp because apparently the processing isn't quite done even if they say it is.

When you say it "takes a little while to get sharp" are we talking minutes or hours?

I uploaded a ~ 4 min clip @ 4k 30Hz in its original .MOV format about 30 minutes ago. I copied it from the SD card to my computer and played it back there with VLC and it looked great. The .MOV file was just under 1.8GB. My computer has a i7-4770k CPU, GTX 970 video card and 4k monitor running at 60Hz. My Internet connection is fiber and 100/20 Mbps. I can play other 4k YouTube videos that are 4k and they look stunning. It typically takes about 5-10 seconds before they "snap" into 4k mode.

The clip I uploaded will only playback at 360p (no other options available when clicking the cog in the lower right) and looks absolutely horrid on my 4k monitor. Here it is:

Any ideas?

When you say it "takes a little while to get sharp" are we talking minutes or hours?

I uploaded a ~ 4 min clip @ 4k 30Hz in its original .MOV format about 30 minutes ago. I copied it from the SD card to my computer and played it back there with VLC and it looked great. The .MOV file was just under 1.8GB. My computer has a i7-4770k CPU, GTX 970 video card and 4k monitor running at 60Hz. My Internet connection is fiber and 100/20 Mbps. I can play other 4k YouTube videos that are 4k and they look stunning. It typically takes about 5-10 seconds before they "snap" into 4k mode.

The clip I uploaded will only playback at 360p (no other options available when clicking the cog in the lower right) and looks absolutely horrid on my 4k monitor. Here it is:

Any ideas?
My guess is that you didn't wait long enough before you tried to watch it. Showing up at 1440p on my phone now.

I be dammed, you're right! Guess it took YouTube almost 1 hour to "process" that 4 minute clip. Patience has never been a virtue of mine. :) Maybe it all depends on their server loads at any given time?

I was very impressed with how well it dealt with the high winds. This was my first flight and first drone ever. My 2 little girls were more excited than I was I think. (last 30 seconds of the clip) Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31