Your Gain Settings and Your findings with P2 and H3-3D

Reaction score
I wanted to start a specific topic relating to those of us with a P2 (1st or 2nd version) and a H3-3D Gimbal and your Gain settings and what you have discovered by altering them.

There is a lot of confusion on which way or how much to change the Gain Settings for the P2 using the P2 Assistant Software and what problems you were trying to solve by making the adjustments.

I am currently running the latest 3.02 update.
I am in Naza-M Mode.

My P2 Gain Settings are all set to Default.
Basic Pitch 125% Roll 125% Yaw 100% Vertical 100%
Attitude Pitch 125% Roll 125%

My Gimbal settings are:
Tilt: 10
Horizontal Limit: 0
Vertical Limit: 0

Problems:
Keeps descending in forward or backward flight.
Slight Yaw back and forth in a hover. Usually wants to Yaw to the left.
The usual Drifting and J Hook issue

No solutions yet.

How is it if you fly with the gains set when it was shipped?. I found the shipped gains much better than the the gain settings when you press the default button.

Mine is the original P2. Default Gain settings changed when they change firmware updates. Also, mine originally came with the H3-2D gimbal.

Great question. Hoping someone can chime in. I too just upgraded my phantom 2 from an hd2d to a 3d, and am not happy with the way it's now flying. Very wobbly and jerky.

Make sure you have done all the latest updates. How did you mount it to the P2? Did you install the spacer?

Xrover said:
Make sure you have done all the latest updates. How did you mount it to the P2? Did you install the spacer?

Negative. I used a dremel to make the hole bigger.

On a side note, I'm grounded... turns out the H3-3d I got was meant for non phantoms. In other words, it came with a GCU (not needed with the P2) and no Anti-Interference Board. Ugh.

Also not at all happy with the flimsy ribbon that connects to the side usb post of the GoPro. It's beginning to look like DJI was extremely sloppy with the release of this gimbal.

A couple things. Sorry you got the wrong Gimbal. That sucks..
Even though you cut the hole out on your P2 (Just like the newer P2's) You still want to get a spacer. I know DJI doesn't use one but there is an issue with both newer and original P2's using the H3-3D Gimbal. The Yaw motor is way to close to the bottom of the battery. It will possibly and most likely come into brief contact with it at various times while flying different situations. If and when it does, though brief, the gimbal will jitter or pause at that moment. It was a poor design.

Install the DJI (Part no. 10) Spacer kit for the H3-3D. The kit is only $15.00 and comes with slightly taller landing skids.

The newer version of the H3-3D has that ribbon cable usb plug. Another strange decision on DJI's part. I am lucky I guess. I bought mine with the Anti Interference Board and the Gimbal that uses the GoPro Communications port.

All bets are off if anyone installs a H3-3D on a P2 without spacing out the Gimbal from the body. Search for posts on the motor/battery issue.

Xrover said:
All bets are off if anyone installs a H3-3D on a P2 without spacing out the Gimbal from the body.

Not true. Trimming a little bit of plastic from the battery (a few seconds with wire cutters) does the trick. No spacer required.

Death From Above said:
Xrover said:
All bets are off if anyone installs a H3-3D on a P2 without spacing out the Gimbal from the body.

Not true. Trimming a little bit of plastic from the battery (a few seconds with wire cutters) does the trick. No spacer required.

Sure - that is an alternative - but to achieve the same goal, which is to prevent the gimbal rubbing on the battery. Personally I'd rather add a millimeter or two of spacers than hack plastic off the battery.

I agree. With all the battery issues that seem to be going around the last thing one should do is render the battery non replaceable under warrantee.

Tom

Death From Above said:
So much fear.

It's a quick and easy fix. Here's the slow way (results are the same):

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17081&p=160411#p160411

The warranty issue is moot given 1. the lack of any proof that there is a "battery issue" going around and 2. even if there was, DJI's warranty service is abysmal to non-existent.

DJI's service may be poor, but dealers will replace under warranty, so it's not moot at all.

I've hacked my batteries. No spacer. If one of my batteries causes the death drop (please, please, no!), I'll buy a new one and transplant it to a new plastic shell. Better yet, I'll say that little piece of plastic broke off in the crash. It's a simple mod if done carefully and has zero impact on the battery's function.

Anyway, how about that thread drift! Let's talk gains. Who's going to teach me all there is to know about them gains? (Other than what was mentioned in the beta thread.) I'd like to see a comprehensive definition for each gain setting and then a structured format of settings that people are using and their results.

Firmware version:
Setup: (e.g. P2Z3 no spacer, marshmallow dampeners)
Old settings:
New settings:
Observed changes:

I'd also like to see what the stock settings are on each firmware before and after you hit the default button.

sar104 said:
Death From Above said:
So much fear.

It's a quick and easy fix. Here's the slow way (results are the same):

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17081&p=160411#p160411

The warranty issue is moot given 1. the lack of any proof that there is a "battery issue" going around and 2. even if there was, DJI's warranty service is abysmal to non-existent.

DJI's service may be poor, but dealers will replace under warranty, so it's not moot at all.

Please link to a situation where a dealer replaced a DJI battery due to a "battery issue" and explain why removing a few grams of plastic, that have no impact on the battery's performance/function, would have caused the dealer to deny that warranty claim

Thanks in advance.

Death From Above said:
sar104 said:

Please link to a situation where a dealer replaced a DJI battery due to a "battery issue" and explain why removing a few grams of plastic, that have no impact on the battery's performance/function, would have caused the dealer to deny that warranty claim

Thanks in advance.

If you can be bothered to search you will find several instances of dealers replacing batteries for various reasons. Whether they would have objected to the battery casing being modified is hard to say, but I would prefer not to take the chance. You are fully entitled to assume that they won't care. I'm not going to indulge your argumentative questioning any further.

sar104 said:
Death From Above said:
sar104 said:

Thanks in advance.

If you can be bothered to search you will find several instances of dealers replacing batteries for various reasons. Whether they would have objected to the battery casing being modified is hard to say, but I would prefer not to take the chance. You are fully entitled to assume that they won't care. I'm not going to indulge your argumentative questioning any further.

Ok, I get it. You can't provide any links. That's understandable because you just made that stuff up.

If "argumentative questioning" (odd, since this is a discussion forum and we are merely discussing your silly claims) bothers you then the fix is simple.

Refrain from making stuff up and pretending that it is fact.

Xrover said:
A couple things. Sorry you got the wrong Gimbal. That sucks..
Even though you cut the hole out on your P2 (Just like the newer P2's) You still want to get a spacer. I know DJI doesn't use one but there is an issue with both newer and original P2's using the H3-3D Gimbal. The Yaw motor is way to close to the bottom of the battery. It will possibly and most likely come into brief contact with it at various times while flying different situations. If and when it does, though brief, the gimbal will jitter or pause at that moment. It was a poor design.

Install the DJI (Part no. 10) Spacer kit for the H3-3D. The kit is only $15.00 and comes with slightly taller landing skids.
Are you referring to this spacer kit....?:
http://www.uav-outlet.com/dji-h3-3d-spa ... tom-2-old/

If so, it specifically says "Phantom 2(new) does not need this accessory." To clarify, are you disputing that claim?

Yes, that is the spacer kit.

It's called CYA. If DJI didn't put that then all new P2 owners would demand a free spacer and suggest that DJI Is aware of the issue. I think there is a few other threads here where new P2 owners have complained that they have noticed indentations on the Grey Sticker on the bottom of the battery. All you have to do is push up a little bit on your H3-3D and see how far it moves before it contacts the battery. Less then 2mm.

If the Gimbal was hard mounted with no means of movement then the clearance would not be an issue. The Gimbal is on anti vibration balls and it does move. Up down or side to side. There are different forces acting on the camera depending on it's angle of tilt.

Why take the chance?

Death From Above said:
Ok, I get it. You can't provide any links. That's understandable because you just made that stuff up.

If "argumentative questioning" (odd, since this is a discussion forum and we are merely discussing your silly claims) bothers you then the fix is simple.

No, apparently you don't get it at all. You don't get to demand links to information that you are too lazy to look for yourself, and you don't get to dismiss others' opinions when they choose not to engage your concept of "discussion". A bit early in the game for such obvious strawman techniques, and your latest incarnation is a bit too obvious.

sar104 said:
Death From Above said:

No, apparently you don't get it at all. You don't get to demand links to information that you are too lazy to look for yourself, and you don't get to dismiss others' opinions when they choose not to engage your concept of "discussion". A bit early in the game for such obvious strawman techniques, and your latest incarnation is a bit too obvious.

Asking for proof (links) was a kind way of calling you out for the BS that you had posted. I'm not surprised that you failed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl