Your cruising altitude ?

Reaction score
I took my P3A for a flight today (first time without the beginner mode).

Did fly the whole session at 100 mts, it's a differs ball game as you no longer can see subtle movements of the phantom.

Wandering what heights you guys fly at and your experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi there,

Depends entirely on the area and height of obstacles in the vicinity, such as trees, power lines cables etc. I fly altitudes anywhere between 30m to 122m (90 - 400feet) [emoji106]

Reactions: deuter
120 meters every flight. It works good for longer distance flights and still below just about most air traffic. I haven't ht any trees, sides of houses or anything else at that altitude .

120 meters every flight. It works good for longer distance flights and still below just about most air traffic. I haven't ht any trees, sides of houses or anything else at that altitude .

Agree, wonder what heights the flights fly at

They should maintain 150 or 500 feet agl unless landing or taking off. But the landing tends to follow the advisories on the approach plates. Here is one below where you can see the distances and altitudes prescribed in feet. It's on the bottom right. Now if it's a helicopter it is a different ball game entirely. But those you can hear coming just about every time. And depending on where you're at, after a while you will know the local helicopter patterns. If you are new to phantom flying, unless you are photographing or videotaping something low, stick to 100 when flying for flying sake and you will never become a member of the "I broke my gimbal" club.
450px-Mdwild31c.JPG

Last edited:
Well my altitude varies considerably - too many mountains and valleys - I could be at 200' and then suddenly 1000' as I fly across a valley.
Out of the mountains I will fly at varying heights depending on range or how I want the video to look.
One thing I did learn was to stop trying to spot the phantom in the sky and look at the display instead. Much easier.

Reactions: Frankc
Flied today over 200 mts

I prefer to flight at 80 meters or so on light winds,....high winds ill fly as low as possible, the higher you are the stronger the wind....by a lot !!!!

Before i fly, i usually check the wind at a few altitudes to get an idea of how high i want to fly. Even though the phantom can handle some high winds, i feel more comfortable knowing the wind speed beforehand.

UAV Weather Forecast

They should maintain 150 or 500 feet agl unless landing or taking off. But the landing tends to follow the advisories on the approach plates. Here is one below where you can see the distances and altitudes prescribed in feet. It's on the bottom right. Now if it's a helicopter it is a different ball game entirely. But those you can hear coming just about every time. And depending on where you're at, after a while you will know the local helicopter patterns. If you are new to phantom flying, unless you are photographing or videotaping something low, stick to 100 when flying for flying sake and you will never become a member of the "I broke my gimbal" club.
View attachment 40690
I wouldn't say never. Seeing i already read many post where phantom crash or fall out if sky at below 100 feet. In fact, a 30 feet fall would break the gimbal. Forget the 100 feet.

I would be willing to bet dropping phantom from 10 feet would likely to break the gimbal.

If you want a fool proof way of not breaking gimbal, don't fly.

Reactions: Shammyh
I like to cruise out at 150' then back at 3-350' so when it starts autolanding at 10% battery and i still have 4000' til home it can auto decend right into my lap at 3% battery[emoji41]

The aero map in my area shows highest obstruction at 1700'. The nearest tall tower is 1210' or 360' AGL and is on a hill. I fly about 75' or lower over the frozen lake and watch for fixed wing with skis that are landing on the ice and or the Police helo at 500+ ft.

Many of the fixed obstructions nearby, I can simply go around rather than go over.

Locally, aircraft must be no lower than 500' AGL unless landing or taking off and I do get a few bush pilots from time to time so I have my head on a swivel and abide by Transport Canada regs.

Well my altitude varies considerably - too many mountains and valleys - I could be at 200' and then suddenly 1000' as I fly across a valley.
Out of the mountains I will fly at varying heights depending on range or how I want the video to look.
One thing I did learn was to stop trying to spot the phantom in the sky and look at the display instead. Much easier.

I have learned that too over the few flights that I have done. After a few times of thinking the aircraft was in front of me when infact it had flown over my head and was behind me I soon learned to follow the orange line back home.

I have learned that too over the few flights that I have done. After a few times of thinking the aircraft was in front of me when infact it had flown over my head and was behind me I soon learned to follow the orange line back home.
The Orange line is the shortest distance home ?

That's not too hard to follow.

The aero map in my area shows highest obstruction at 1700'. The nearest tall tower is 1210' or 360' AGL and is on a hill. I fly about 75' or lower over the frozen lake and watch for fixed wing with skis that are landing on the ice and or the Police helo at 500+ ft.

Many of the fixed obstructions nearby, I can simply go around rather than go over.

Locally, aircraft must be no lower than 500' AGL unless landing or taking off and I do get a few bush pilots from time to time so I have my head on a swivel and abide by Transport Canada regs.

Where can I find this aero map?

Would really make things easy if I new what the tallest thing was in may be 10K radius.

That way I can fly in peace.

The Orange line is the shortest distance home ?

That's not too hard to follow.

Its comparatively easy to follow the orange line home. But if your flying high and the wind is distorting which direction the sound is coming from its so easy to fly over yourself when the drone is out of sight. By the time I looked down thinking it must be back now it had gone past. Luckily I am very cautious and stopped the aircraft till I worked out where it was. No danger, I hope, of flying into anything as I had gone quite high.

1st flight was yesterday over my village and I was cruising at around 200 feet/60metres..didn't want to go too high on brand new drone lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl