Your advice for my dilemma, fellow pilots.

Reaction score
I am located outside of US. In the country of Georgia. There are no official DJI re-sellers in here. So i had to order DJI over the internet. In the january of this year, i ordered DJI P3 Advanced, through the freight-forwarding company in Delaware. The one that ships from Delaware to the country of Georgia. Not vice versa. So p3a was delivered to DE first and after shipped to Georgia. After i received it, i had to pay 18% taxes, because by Georgian rules, anything imported that costs over 150$, government should take taxes from you. 18%.

Recently i got this problem, of ESC status error, (Esc status error?? more details about this) which means something is wrong with the motherboard, and i need to send it back for the repair. I can't do it through the freightforwarding company - since they work only one way. From US. not vice versa.

I acknowledge that i need to send it by regular post, and which won't be paid by DJI, and will cost me at least 90$ to send it all across to globe to US. I acknowledge that.
But the problem i have is that, after DJI will fix/replace the drone, and send it back to me(again through freight forwarding) - the government will tax me again 18%.
To make sure it doesn't happen, i need DJI to write the official letter stating my name, and the Serial number of the AC and the fact that they are waiting for me to send it to them to fix it. And only after i provide customs with this letter, they will give me some sort of a document, which will keep me away from paying taxes again. BUT with the customer support that DJI has, i really DOUBT they are able to do it. Because it takes them hours to reply, and they never know the solution. Promise to get back to me. But never do with one.

Another option is to ask DJI after fixing/replacing the AC, include the $0 invoice or anything under $150. But this will be also hard to explain to them, and control that they actually do it.

I am devastated. Don't know what to do. Should i sell the P3A here by parts?
Because, sending it to us, 90$ + 40$for bringing it back + 150$ for taxes. = 280$ for repairing it. Its terrible

Do you need to send it back to the original seller? Why not find an authorized DJI repair shop in the EU and have them take care of the repair/replacement, then the unit never needs to leave the EU and no extra taxes.

I am located outside of US. In the country of Georgia. There are no official DJI re-sellers in here. So i had to order DJI over the internet. In the january of this year, i ordered DJI P3 Advanced, through the freight-forwarding company in Delaware. The one that ships from Delaware to the country of Georgia. Not vice versa. So p3a was delivered to DE first and after shipped to Georgia. After i received it, i had to pay 18% taxes, because by Georgian rules, anything imported that costs over 150$, government should take taxes from you. 18%.

Recently i got this problem, of ESC status error, (Esc status error?? more details about this) which means something is wrong with the motherboard, and i need to send it back for the repair. I can't do it through the freightforwarding company - since they work only one way. From US. not vice versa.

I acknowledge that i need to send it by regular post, and which won't be paid by DJI, and will cost me at least 90$ to send it all across to globe to US. I acknowledge that.
But the problem i have is that, after DJI will fix/replace the drone, and send it back to me(again through freight forwarding) - the government will tax me again 18%.
To make sure it doesn't happen, i need DJI to write the official letter stating my name, and the Serial number of the AC and the fact that they are waiting for me to send it to them to fix it. And only after i provide customs with this letter, they will give me some sort of a document, which will keep me away from paying taxes again. BUT with the customer support that DJI has, i really DOUBT they are able to do it. Because it takes them hours to reply, and they never know the solution. Promise to get back to me. But never do with one.

Another option is to ask DJI after fixing/replacing the AC, include the $0 invoice or anything under $150. But this will be also hard to explain to them, and control that they actually do it.

I am devastated. Don't know what to do. Should i sell the P3A here by parts?
Because, sending it to us, 90$ + 40$for bringing it back + 150$ for taxes. = 280$ for repairing it. Its terrible
Perhaps you should speak to DJI in Germany. Email is [email protected].

Reactions: bryan_m
Can't you show RMA number and associated details to save taxes on repairs?

Or essentially make your own documentation? When I travel internationally with expensive camera gear I have a list of the equipment, with pictures and serial numbers in a document that has been signed by a notary public and is written in American Legal. It tends to impress customs / border agents and at the very least, shows that I entered the country with the gear so nobody tries to make me pay 'customs' on it.

Can you talk to a lawyer or local shipping agent to see if something like that - which you would control and you don't need DJI to do it - could work.

Alternatively, try the official DJI forum. They have a couple of reps that seem to be able to get stuff done when the DJI Machine clogs up.

I am located outside of US. In the country of Georgia.

T2,

You really have a very difficult situation. Maybe you should copy and paste that same post over at the DJI forum?

Phantom 3 - DJI Forum|Phantom

In the title say "DJI-Ken, can you help me?". Ken is a DJI employee and a really good guy over there. He may be able to get you some help. If you do that, I'll follow it over there and also ask Ken to help you out.

Jerry

I am located outside of US. In the country of Georgia.

T2,

Ken replied to my post over at the DJI site. He's willing to help. Please go to the link I sent to you earlier and reply to him on that thread. He needs your e-mail address. Here is what he said:

"I just found out that some countries may impose taxes and I am sorry about that.
As far as repairing, you would have to pay to ship it to the Germany repair center and they ship back to you at no charge.
What is your email and I will have the German support center contact you and you can explain to them to include something on the packaging so you are not charged any more taxes."

Please respond to Ken or me as soon as possible. I don't ask for many favors but I want to make sure I follow through when I do.

Jerry

Reactions: t2adze
Most countries people have to pay customs taxes for import. But if you can prove to them that you sent out for repair and it would come back to you, they might make an exception. You should check with your local post office for more details.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

T2,

Are you getting anywhere with Ken? Has he emailed you? Are things progressing?

Jerry
Sorry for my late response. Had no time with my work.
I got contacted by DJI Germany, and they said they would repair it. So i sent it to them, 60$ for shipping to Germany.
So it will take up to 10 b.days to deliver there. another 14 to fix/replace. and probably another 10 to get back to me.
So somewhere in month and a half illprobably be up and flying again
smile.gif

Thank you for you support and help everyone!

P.S. To prove it to customs i need DJI to write an official letter that we accept the idea that the AC with this serial number has an issue and we are waiting for a client to sned itbackt o us. and its a very long procedure which probably DJI won't participate it.
I just sent it. Let's see if it slips thru the customs when coming back to me.
If not i will pay the taxes again. or if im not ina mood,w ill tell customs to shove the drone uptheir butt. and just ignore it like that :) sell the batteries, charger, and etc.

T2,

Are you getting anywhere with Ken? Has he emailed you? Are things progressing?

Jerry
Hey friend!

Thank you a lot for your support. DJI received my bird. Said it was fauly, and sent me back the new one. It's on the way back home. So i am expecting it somewhere next week.
Thank you a lot for you support once again and KEN also. I cant find that thread unfortunatelly on that forum, so just pass my appreciation to him.

:)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub