You guys with the white drones that give us a bad name...

Well. According to the article. The teacher was not trying to fly over a event. It is more like a flyaway drone which can happen to anyone of us.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
"Attorneys for the defendant claimed the teacher was not flying over any sporting event but that the sporting event developed while the defendant was flying uav" o_O

LOL seems like the 3DR Solo pilot really didn't do any research before purchasing his overpriced, buggy, rangeless drone.
a) Any drone pilot should be able to at least recognize a Phantom, not call it a 'white drone'
b) He seems to have no knowledge of drone 'personal space' regulations, which, as it happens, don;t exist. :tearsofjoy:

Well the guy is right. The other drones can't fly far enough to cause any problems and crash when the do.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The 3DR solo was in the right... It's not his fault that 500ft is the max range. You should have simply flown 10,000 ft away and let him have his airspace.

Reactions: Martin Smith
The whole 3DR solo gang is a bunch of know nothing p*icks. I'm so glad I returned that POS and got the P4.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had a 3DR Solo and returned it because it has a design flaw. One antenna under the battery compartment and it will lose signal at 600 ft from the controller. Poor design. I got a Ph3 Pro and love it, no problems. The dropped signal is what happened to the one at the Tennis Center.

You found a nut. There are many out there whose logic is illogical. They truly see the world differently and are not on par with the majority.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was out flying yesterday, I saw another guy on the walk way and he was flying a 3DR solo, I stayed back about 50 meteres and all times I was flying around I could see where mine was and knew pretty much where his was.

He told me after he packed up and was walking past what I was doing flying in the same air space? I should know better that when the air space is in use. (there is no airports and restricted zones where I was flying - he was in the same place) I believe what he means is flying in the same air space as him. (I was lost for words).

He then said don't you know the rules? As far as I know its 400 feet, and don't fly in commercial aircraft areas.

He then said its you guys with the "white drones" that give us a bad name.

There was no collisions or near misses and I purposely flew away and around him and away from his drone so we didn't come close - I could see mine in the sky and could see his.

He also said im not even 100 meters away from him (correct I wasn't but, I wasn't on top of him either, I was about 50-70 meters away.)

I thought other drone pilots are usually friendly, seems like the people with 3DR solos are different. Iv never had such a rude person, everyone usually wants to help everyone else and discuss their flying experience. Luckily I didn't go and say hi.

Is there such a requirement that if another drone is flying you shouldn't be? or was he just being precious?

I was out flying yesterday, I saw another guy on the walk way and he was flying a 3DR solo, I stayed back about 50 meteres and all times I was flying around I could see where mine was and knew pretty much where his was.

He told me after he packed up and was walking past what I was doing flying in the same air space? I should know better that when the air space is in use. (there is no airports and restricted zones where I was flying - he was in the same place) I believe what he means is flying in the same air space as him. (I was lost for words).

He then said don't you know the rules? As far as I know its 400 feet, and don't fly in commercial aircraft areas.

There was no collisions or near misses and I purposely flew away and around him and away from his drone so we didn't come close - I could see mine in the sky and could see his.

He also said im not even 100 meters away from him (correct I wasn't but, I wasn't on top of him either, I was about 50-70 meters away.)

I thought other drone pilots are usually friendly, seems like the people with 3DR solos are different. Iv never had such a rude person, everyone usually wants to help everyone else and discuss their flying experience. Luckily I didn't go and say hi.

Is there such a requirement that if another drone is flying you shouldn't be? or was he just being precious?

That is pretty funny. Reminds me when I parked my Honda "Shadow" next to a group of Harley riders. THEY MOVED so they would not be parked next to a Jap Bike. LOL Honda went through a lot of work to make my gears crunch when I shift to sound like a Harley! Just ignore these idiots. He is probably pissed because he does not have Waypoint Capability on the 3DR

Reactions: Monte Olsen
I think we all have been introduced to the culture of drones and people feeling threatened and although I have never flew in someone's airspace of another aircraft. I have encountered the occasional *** that wants to murder me cause my drone was where he could see it "spying on his family" lol . This is an intense hoby where your adrenaline kicks in the moment your drone hits the sky. I think drones came on too technology so fast that the 21st century hasn't caught up.

I think the public needs to catch up no drones aren't peeking in windows and 400 feet up people look like ants

No kidding on the visibility. I have a lot of distance issues flying by pilot view with the wide angle. You would have to be hovering at 15-20 feet to get a clear view of a person. Then you are violating their privacy. i have clipped a tree leaves on a high tree twice (and recovered) But I have been practicing camera-only landings and they are challenging with wide angle when there is not a very large clear landing area. I usually practice landing on my enclosed trailer flat roof. But if you miss with the wide angle, you will go off the side of the roof. I would like a more real-time view lens or some lens cover with distance markings like my truck has on the back-up camera.

Turf Wars Spoil Sanctity of Southland Surf Beaches : Violence: Popularity leads to crowding. Charges that one group attacked outsiders highlight the problem.

It probably has to do a lot more with proper r/c etiquette and courtesy... did you acknowledge him when you arrived?.... did you tell him you would be flying? If not and if I were in his position I'd think YOU were the a$$. If you have flown for years you would know it's common courtesy to make sure and advise someone you will be flying in the vicinity. I'm not talking about knowing he sees you, I'm talking about going over and saying, hey, I'm going to be flying over yonder.... do you mind?

It probably has to do a lot more with proper r/c etiquette and courtesy... did you acknowledge him when you arrived?.... did you tell him you would be flying? If not and if I were in his position I'd think YOU were the a$$. If you have flown for years you would know it's common courtesy to make sure and advise someone you will be flying in the vicinity. I'm not talking about knowing he sees you, I'm talking about going over and saying, hey, I'm going to be flying over yonder.... do you mind?

I disagree, do you tell all other drivers on the road your going to be driving your car today? Do you tell everyone that your going to mowing your lawn? do you tell everyone hey im going to be taking my dog with me to the park today is that ok with everyone at the park?

I have flown around many people with fixed wind and quad copters, and the general rule is you just respect each others air space and ensure you don't cross paths. i.e moving around them rather than flying to them.

Even if I was in the same situation and I was there first, I wouldn't care as long as you don't come close to my drone. which I didn't in this case.

Reactions: flpholt
Not really. Been flying at model airfields for ages. There is a pecking order of people set to fly and allowing them the air when they are flying, taking your turn when they are down. We even had FREQUENCY FLAGS on our antennas so there was so interference in the pits with people in the air. You really can't wait 20 minutes? What goes up, must come down. When he is down, the air is all yours and he should respect your time in the air space. Now if I could just get the private planes over my house to honor the same rules when they are wagging wings at people they know that live there.

3DR associates, employees and the fools who were stupid enough to buy that overpriced clone DJI wannabe drone, have launched a massive hate campaign on Amazon by leaving totally false information and reviews about Phantoms. They are a bunch of crybabies who will never touch the price or performance of the Phantom series because they are jealous copycats.

Reactions: m0j0 and MichaelS
3DR associates, employees and the fools who were stupid enough to buy that overpriced clone DJI wannabe drone, have launched a massive hate campaign on Amazon by leaving totally false information and reviews about Phantoms. They are a bunch of crybabies who will never touch the price or performance of the Phantom series because they are jealous copycats.
That's a fact.

Not really. Been flying at model airfields for ages. There is a pecking order of people set to fly and allowing them the air when they are flying, taking your turn when they are down. We even had FREQUENCY FLAGS on our antennas so there was so interference in the pits with people in the air. You really can't wait 20 minutes? What goes up, must come down. When he is down, the air is all yours and he should respect your time in the air space. Now if I could just get the private planes over my house to honor the same rules when they are wagging wings at people they know that live there.

Nope, I couldn't wait, I got up at 4:30am to get the sunrise.....

we were on a beach front pier.

Last edited:
LOL.
I own two 3DR drones, the Iris+ and the SOLO. Love them both. Never had a real issue with either.
I also own a P1, P2 (non vision) and a P3P - never had issues with them either.

So I just checked out the reviews on Amazon. Across the board the Phantoms have 3.5 to 4 stars on the reviews. Sure, there are a few one star ratings complaining about DJI's service (valid complaints IMO) and about the range on the P4, all the same complaints you read on this forum. I certainly don't see any evidence of a "massive hate campaign" by SOLO owners?
Do you have something specific that indicates that those of us who were "Stupid" enough to buy "that overpriced clone DJI wannabe drone" have launched a "massive hate campaign" on Amazon?

If you want to see what a "massive hate campaign" looks like, go to RCGroups.com and check out the 3DR SOLO thread and see what DJI owners posted there trashing the SOLO when none of them even owned one.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31