You all have scared me about my P2V+ possibly flying away

Reaction score
So I have only had time to fly my P2V+ once since I got it and it was an awesome experience but I didn't do anything risky at all while I learn how to use it. Now I am reading about all these flyaways with no real "smoking gun" on why. This has put enough fear into me about losing my P2v+ that I feel the need to document my flights here on the forum.

My first (and only flight) which was successful is with the v3.02 firmware. I've never flown with any older firmware.
I have only flown in "Phantom" mode and I plan to stay in that mode for the time being. I will not downgrade the firmware unless DJI instructs me to do so or there is 100% conclusive evidence that v3.02 firmware (not v3.0) causes flyaways.

This means that if I have a flyaway attempt (I hope not), I can document all the variables to assist in pinpointing the cause.

This forum has talked me into shopping for a GPS system, but I have not noticed much of a consensus on which one to get. I will continue to fly but I am scared enough now to only fly at one location (a empty park) until someone on this forum figures out the problem.

This forum is a double edged sword. It's great that all the pilots can share experiences and troubleshoot, but you never know how many people are flying successfully who are not part of the forum and/or not documenting their successful flights. I noticed some real credible/talented pilots have managed to lose their P2V+ as well which makes this VERY scary for me!

I will fly again this weekend (pending good weather) and document/video all my flights and inform this forum of ANY problems I encouter. I do not want to see my investment literally fly away.

Re: You all have scared me about my P2V+ possibly flying awa

I have the P2V+ for about a week now..I have flown 5 flights. Today when I was touching down. I held the stick down but apparently it didnt shut off and i accidentally held both sticks down which i didnt want to do and it spun up then took off by itself not too high and i shut the unit off already so it had no connection. I turned it back on and I think it went into RTF mode by itself. Thank god..because i am having some prob calibrating it. I had 13 satellites and it then slowly decended and i had it back. I have whatever software was shipped with. I have connected it to the software that tells you all the status'es and it says i should update the firmware and the transmitter. I havent done either. I dont go into NAZA mode yet no reason to.. and the unit seems to be working fine. I also am scared of flyaways and I also dont like to fly out of sight. I always want to see where the unit is as I dont trust the FPV. I've seen it stop working at times and have to restart it. if you find a good gps to attach to the unit let me know. I guess you jut have to pray it doesnt happen. I think as any electronic device something just goes wrong in the software or hardware and I doubt they will ever be able to pinpoint the exact reason for it. Im so hooked on this thing, I'd probably wait for 2 years after losing it and hope that after they release the next three units it will somehow be fixed. Im not sure why they dont just include a gps unit in it for a little extra instead of making us buy one.

I have never flown anything RC in my life. i too have flown my F2V+ only 5 times. software are all updated to the latest and greatest. My LHS has set everything for me in Naza mode. have not played around with the configuration yet.

In the DJI Apps, there is a feature 'find my phantom' and its is working, i believe. How accurate it is or What technology it uses, I dont know. During in-flight, it seems to be accurate. In a case of a flyaway, the "find my phantom" will only tell us the last known location.

For me, an Add-on 3 party GPS is deemed important to protect our investment. I am getting the TK-102 (or the TK-102B, a newer model) so that I can attempt to track down my P2V+ in case of a flyaway in real time and not based on last known location. I also put a sticker "if found, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx to return it an collect your reward".

Thats the best I can do and I can enjoy flying my phantom with a little bit more comfort.

Its like getting a brand new car..if we are to scared to drive it for fear that we are going to meet an accident, its best we dont get a brand new car, just get a 2nds if we still need a car. We have car insurance to cover any possible damages. In my country, if we had a car accident, insurance will only cover certain % and we have to cover the remaining. if cover both parties regardless whose fault in case of accident, the premium will be higher.

Likewise, I add GPS tracker and the 'if found reward" sticker as an added insurance. Proving a flyaway is a product problem or defect will be tough, same like the car insurance thing. Also before any flight, run down a checklist or rule of thumb check list to help minimize any potential failure. As a newbie, we tend to forget this important checklist. Anyone can forget.

just sharing some comforting opinion because I am looking forward to enjoy this P2V+ investment to whatever point/level I can.

PS..if it wants to flyaway for whatever reason, it will flyaway regardless it is only 10 feet in front of you, or 1000 feet away from you, you are a newbie like me, or a very experience phantom/RC pilot..As a newbie, I just try to minimize it the best i can.

Thanks for your input. Just to let you know that after doing some more research I am going to go ahead and get the DroneMods UAV locator. I like the idea that it's only $5 a month for service and uses multiple US cell phone carriers to communicate and you can pay a year in advance for service (so I don't have to worry about paying a monthly bill). Gonna run me about $200 dollars up front but that includes service for the year. Then only $60 every additional year. $5 a month I can justify for insurance on it. I will post here if the thing does what it claims to do or not.

Your point about the forums being a double edged sword is totally true.
Ignorance is bliss as they say. It never crossed my mind when I had been looking at buying one of these over the last several years (obviously not the P2V+ since it wasn't around then). When I saw a review of it on a mainstream tech web site I was like YES, THAT IS IT! I joyfully went to DJI's website, watched the videos in awe and saw that it was under the "for everyone" category.

I then started to watch all the youtube videos I could find about it and was back after a week of looking at the videos over and over I bit the bullet and bought one on March 9th. It arrived and I few it twice charging it overnight in my house with no concern that it could be a hazard. One day bored at work and my desire to find more people that do this I came across this forum.
I've flown it once since coming to this forum to show a buddy of mine that we had talked over and over about these things when I worked with him. I've been not as excited to fly since.

• Fly-offs. Even though I wouldn't consider myself a risk taker. You won't see me post new world record for height or distance, heck if I can't clearly see it. It's too far away.

• Battery maintenance. I ended up putting them out in my garage, I've ordered two fire proof bags that should be arriving today. But still somewhat concerned about the batteries. I was hoping to take short day trips to neat areas around me.

• Insurance. I never ever considered this... Because of the off chance my first concern ever happened. What would happen if it did hit someone if it did hit someones house? It never crossed my mind

• Governance. I knew there was a little chatter about legislation about it. I guess I never really expected anything to happen outside of common sense stuff. Like don't film your neighbors through their windows and to a degree, use caution when flying near large groups of people. Again I'm not a doomsday prepper type, I don't think they'll ever ban them (even though it sounds like some parks are doing so) but it does concern me that at some point is the only place I will be able to fly it is in my driveway or back yard?

I bought this to take videos and photos, to take to my cabin and shoot aerial photos to take it to neat geographical areas that from the air is a new and amazing perspective. I bought it to have fun. Not to really worry about it...

Like I said above, in this case maybe ignorance is bliss... Those that bought it as a fun hobby, as something to do that didn't think about all what could go wrong but everything that could go right are probably enjoying it. Until they loose it, crash it or start their house on fire :)

-The local worry wart. :lol:

DHut_PV+ said:
Your point about the forums being a double edged sword is totally true.
Ignorance is bliss as they say. It never crossed my mind when I had been looking at buying one of these over the last several years (obviously not the P2V+ since it wasn't around then). When I saw a review of it on a mainstream tech web site I was like YES, THAT IS IT! I joyfully went to DJI's website, watched the videos in awe and saw that it was under the "for everyone" category.

I then started to watch all the youtube videos I could find about it and was back after a week of looking at the videos over and over I bit the bullet and bought one on March 9th. It arrived and I few it twice charging it overnight in my house with no concern that it could be a hazard. One day bored at work and my desire to find more people that do this I came across this forum.
I've flown it once since coming to this forum to show a buddy of mine that we had talked over and over about these things when I worked with him. I've been not as excited to fly since.

• Fly-offs. Even though I wouldn't consider myself a risk taker. You won't see me post new world record for height or distance, heck if I can't clearly see it. It's too far away.

• Battery maintenance. I ended up putting them out in my garage, I've ordered two fire proof bags that should be arriving today. But still somewhat concerned about the batteries. I was hoping to take short day trips to neat areas around me.

• Insurance. I never ever considered this... Because of the off chance my first concern ever happened. What would happen if it did hit someone if it did hit someones house? It never crossed my mind

• Governance. I knew there was a little chatter about legislation about it. I guess I never really expected anything to happen outside of common sense stuff. Like don't film your neighbors through their windows and to a degree, use caution when flying near large groups of people. Again I'm not a doomsday prepper type, I don't think they'll ever ban them (even though it sounds like some parks are doing so) but it does concern me that at some point is the only place I will be able to fly it is in my driveway or back yard?

I bought this to take videos and photos, to take to my cabin and shoot aerial photos to take it to neat geographical areas that from the air is a new and amazing perspective. I bought it to have fun. Not to really worry about it...

Like I said above, in this case maybe ignorance is bliss... Those that bought it as a fun hobby, as something to do that didn't think about all what could go wrong but everything that could go right are probably enjoying it. Until they loose it, crash it or start their house on fire :)

-The local worry wart. :lol:
you are being way to paranoid about your battery's , their not bombs for gods sake ! What do you think is in your phone , laptop , ? I've had lithium batteys since they came out in Rc never had a problem.
My motorcycle battery is a lithium , and it's between my balls !

Do not take notice of all the flyaway stories on here. A lot use the term "flyaway" for anything out of the normal. If you read the manual and understand it, don't be afraid of Naza mode, read on here how to switch to ATTI, practice your flying skills, you will have many hours of flying without incident. There's no other way to put it.........look at the number of posts of the member stating he's had a flyaway. It will be a small amount of posts. There are hundreds of us flying and filming regularly with no problem. Might even be worth not reading those posts for a while, just fly and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

I think you guys are being WAY too paranoid. The vast majority of these birds are flying just fine. Not to say they don't occasionally fail. They are complex devices, with lots of parts, and any one part failing can result in a crash. I haven't flown in a few days. This evening, just before dusk, I decided to take her out to fly. It was cloudy & breezy. It felt like thunderstorm weather, and that's what they are calling for tonight. I setup, waited a few minutes for a good GPS lock in the "tree bowl" out front. 6 satellites and away I went. 22 minutes of bliss, mostly pure FPV flying. I climbed to 400', and flew about 4000' out, all the way through my neighborhood, the adjoining neighborhood, across Stoney Creek (tributary to the Chesapeake Bay), and back. Like the previous 54 flights, she flew perfectly and, when the battery reached 30%, I flipped S1 to Failsafe, and a few minutes later she returned without incident. I took control a few feet above the deck and set her down gently on the driveway.

I don't think I am the only guy having great results like this. I am quite certain that the VAST MAJORITY of Vision+ aircraft are flying just fine. In fact, an acquaintance of mine...a guy who has never owned an RC in his life...saw mine and went out and bought one. He asked me a few questions, I gave him some advice, and so far he has over a dozen great flights. No prop guards, no busted props, no crashes! Would I be bummed if my Phantom crashed? You bet your *** I would! You can also bet I would buy another, and repair this one so I had a spare! So don't be paranoid or afraid to fly. Be informed, be smart, and enjoy your bird!

I had over 50 flights now, i just put the phantom on and as soon as my app is connected i lift up. I stay low and close untill i have enuff satalites 6+, i then flip s2 (left switch) 5 times up and down until the green flashes, my home point is now set. I now fly away a bit more and switch s2 switch into home lock, i pull the right stick towards me and see if the craft comes to the set home point. If this is all ok i fly how faw i want and where i want :). Change from phantom mode to naza mode as soon as you can! There is nothing hard to it and it can save you :)

chriske said:
I had over 50 flights now, i just put the phantom on and as soon as my app is connected i lift up. I stay low and close untill i have enuff satalites 6+, i then flip s2 (left switch) 5 times up and down until the green flashes, my home point is now set. I now fly away a bit more and switch s2 switch into home lock, i pull the right stick towards me and see if the craft comes to the set home point. If this is all ok i fly how faw i want and where i want :). Change from phantom mode to naza mode as soon as you can! There is nothing hard to it and it can save you :)

RE: Setting "Home Point", From the Naza Manual:

After 6 or more GPS satellites have been found. And the aircraft can be hovering. Toggle the IOC switch from Course Lock to Home Lock, and back to Course Lock quickly 3 to 5 times. (NOT up and down)

DO NOT toggle the switch between Off to Home Lock, since it may change the recording of the Forward Direction of Course Lock.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20