Yosemite National Park Statement: "Drones are Illegal"

Reaction score
Yosemite National Park press release from today states that the use of any types of drones are prohibited within the park boundaries. The full press release can be found here: http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/use-of ... l-park.htm

The NPS press release cites a federal park regulation that outlaws the use of drones:

Thirty Six CFR 2.17(a)(3) states, “delivering or retrieving a person or object by parachute, helicopter, or other airborne means, except in emergencies involving public safety or serious property loss, or pursuant to the terms and conditions of a permit” is illegal. This applies to drones of all shapes and sizes.

The way that policy reads, there is nothing there that says drones. A drone does not deliver or retrieve a person or object. They follow the quote with a statement that this policy applies to drones.

Sounds like what we've been hearing more and more, with an agency taking an existing law and trying to make it fit for applying to a drone. This NPS policy has been in place to keep people from flying aircraft into Yosemite Valley. RC helicopters have never been an issue before, but now they try to say that drones are the same as a Cessna or helicoper.

Don't think its going to stop anyone. What are they going to do fine you five pine cones?

Man what a joke, next the beach, the park, an opened field, this eucks, i was planning on going to yosemite and taking my drone a do some great videos of the waterfalls

Sana

The rest of the press release says:

The park has experienced an increase in visitors using drones within park boundaries over the last few years. Drones have been witnessed filming climbers ascending climbing routes, filming views above tree-tops, and filming aerial footage of the park. Drones can be extremely noisy, and can impact the natural soundscape. Drones can also impact the wilderness experience for other visitors creating an environment that is not conducive to wilderness travel. The use of drones also interferes with emergency rescue operations and can cause confusion and distraction for rescue personnel and other parties involved in the rescue operation. Additionally, drones can have negative impacts on wildlife nearby the area of use, especially sensitive nesting peregrine falcons on cliff walls.

This seems completely reasonable and properly measured considering that it's a National Park. There are plenty of places to go to get great shots of scenery that are outside the boundaries of the Park. People who pay to visit a place like Yosemite certainly expect to have piece and quiet. Indeed, a visit to a place like Yosemite is often to get away from all the noise of civilization...

Reactions: jayeverts
mntnmike said:
Yosemite National Park press release from today states that the use of any types of drones are prohibited within the park boundaries.

Sounds like what we've been hearing more and more, with an agency taking an existing law and trying to make it fit for applying to a drone. This NPS policy has been in place to keep people from flying aircraft into Yosemite Valley. RC helicopters have never been an issue before, but now they try to say that drones are the same as a Cessna or helicoper.

Applying an existing regulation is easier and quicker than adding a new regulation. The point obviously is they're trying to stop the activity. They may not be applying it correctly, but if it doesn't stop, they will go the longer/harder route and make a specific regulation.

ShoreBird said:
Don't think its going to stop anyone. What are they going to do fine you five pine cones?

No idea about fines, but they could easily eject you, and your family, from the park leaving Daddy to explain why he ruined their vacation.

doug86 said:
The rest of the press release says:

The park has experienced an increase in visitors using drones within park boundaries over the last few years. Drones have been witnessed filming climbers ascending climbing routes, filming views above tree-tops, and filming aerial footage of the park. Drones can be extremely noisy, and can impact the natural soundscape. Drones can also impact the wilderness experience for other visitors creating an environment that is not conducive to wilderness travel. The use of drones also interferes with emergency rescue operations and can cause confusion and distraction for rescue personnel and other parties involved in the rescue operation. Additionally, drones can have negative impacts on wildlife nearby the area of use, especially sensitive nesting peregrine falcons on cliff walls.

This seems completely reasonable and properly measured considering that it's a National Park. There are plenty of places to go to get great shots of scenery that are outside the boundaries of the Park. People who pay to visit a place like Yosemite certainly expect to have piece and quiet. Indeed, a visit to a place like Yosemite is often to get away from all the noise of civilization...

Agree. +1 - My P2 isn't quiet. It would disturb any wildlife / people that are within a reasonable range of it.

So it´s legal and ok to fly US drones all over the world and KILL people but for recreational, art, rescue och creative use it is a No-Fly. :-(
I am a swede with huge love for America, people and things from there, but it seems that americans need to stop accepting random state regulation and abuse of power ASAP. USA, land of freedom?

When I was a kid I worked at Grand Canyon for a summer, and the parks have naturalist Rangers, and combat Rangers, one is like Ranger Smith, the other is not. They know how to deal with people who don't follow the rules, and a violation there can be a federal offense...I wouldn't push it.

The parks are so beautiful, it's hard not to want to film them, but they're protected for a good reason. It's not the place for drones.

XL-Studios said:
So it´s legal and ok to fly US drones all over the world and KILL people but for recreational, art, rescue och creative use is´t a No-Fly. :-(
I am a swede with huge love for America, people and things from there, but it seems that americans need to stop accepting random state regulation and abuse of power ASAP. USA, land of freedom?

Any idea taken to extremes becomes ridiculous. While it might seem great to have the freedom to fly or do pretty much anything you wanted, how long would it take humanity to march right over those national parks destroying everything in their path? Is that what freedom is about? I think you would agree that is not what you would want.

In the immortal words of that great intellect President G W Bush "There ought to be some limits on freedom"

That's just freaking brilliant...

Dillinger said:
Or. People dont buy scenery postcards anymore. Lot of reasons are hidden too...

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but Park Service would allow cameras, so that you can take your own photos. And as another poster so rightly pointed out they (Park Service) are charged with protecting everyone's right to enjoy the park. They are also charged with the responsibility of protecting the parks. Truth be told, many of the naturalist Rangers would rather no one come to the parks, they want to protect them, and leave them as nature intended. It is a constant struggle for them to balance the public's desire to visit the parks, and protecting the park's natural integrity.

These are dedicated people who work tirelessly because they love, and believe in what they do. They are a shining example of everything that's right about America, our people, and our government.

Well ****, I was really thinking about flying there one day.

Next thing you know.. every national park, landmark, etc is drone-free zones.

I'm extremely conflicted on this issue. On the one hand, I love flying my Phantom and want to keep getting amazing aerial footage. I have a camping trip planned for this summer thru Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite national parks and have been anxiously waiting to get footage in all the parks.

But at the same time, I can totally appreciate that they want to curb the noise factor. Part of the reason I love camping and hiking is to get out of the city and away from noise and my electronic gadgets and cell networks, and so forth. So I'm basically totally contradicting myself!

I'm not really sure what a good solution would be. I do think it's unfair to ban them completely. We should have a right to fly and get aerial photos and video of our national parks. Perhaps they set something up where only certain days of the week you can fly in the park? The problem with that though is then everyone would be flying on the same day and there's the potential for air traffic and mid air collisions. So who knows.

I can't believe we have so many nature lovers, that's a great thing because that love of nature will instill a desire to protect it.

But what if you take your drone to say Grand Canyon, you get your bird in the air, take her to the rim for some awesome footage! Everything is going great, so you check your first person view, the drone hits a thermal, you panic, you take a step forward and fall 300 feet, hit a rock, break your back, and roll a mile into the canyon. This happens at sunset, your body can't be recovered til the next day. Your friends weep all night wondering if you're dead or alive, till they see the helicopter rise from the canyon the next morning with a black bag attached.

I gave you such detail because that's what I saw, I saw a girl fall to her death weeks before we were due to leave the park. People die in the parks every year because of a little mistake, because they lose awareness around them, because they lack respect of the untamed wild that is all around them.

Think about it....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik