Yet another section 333 exemption thread...

Reaction score
(Sorry)

I tried following the endless trail of links on the faa.gov site and I read a huge number of posts here but I'm now more than ever completely baffled.

I also came across this site: http://dronelawsblog.com/ and it shows some of the petitions they filed and they're, like, 70 pages long. I was thinking I just needed something no more than two pages.

I have two questions really...
1) Is it even possible for a civilian without a pilot's license to get an exemption (the person operating the UAV)?
2) I searched like mad, but is there a resource that has all the documentation (with content for the best chance of success) set up as a template and it clearly indicates all the places you just need to fill in the blanks and has a nice checklist?

Again, sorry for yet another thread...

Actually, I think I already know the answer to #1 and it doesn't look like it... and I found some additional info in the General Forum.

You can ignore/lock/delete this thread.

1) Is it even possible for a civilian without a pilot's license to get an exemption (the person operating the UAV)?
No, not yet, anyway.
2) I searched like mad, but is there a resource that has all the documentation (with content for the best chance of success) set up as a template and it clearly indicates all the places you just need to fill in the blanks and has a nice checklist?
Again, no.

The FAA and NASA are in the process of rewriting drone laws. In the meantime, if you don't have a pilots license, you can't sell video taken from a UAS. You can take all the video you want and post it anywhere, but you can't sell it.

I found exemptions granted that were not pilots. I used them for a template when I filed for mine.

No. This will never be possible. The FAA is working on new rules for SUAS, but they will still require you to have a pilot license. As part of those new rules, the FAA is creating a new SUAS pilot license. So, you won't be required to learn how to fly a manned aircraft in order to get the required pilot license.

The link below contains a complete list of all petitions that were approved by the FAA. Look at those that have the same "operation/mission" as you so you can get an idea of what you should include in your petition.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/333_authorizations

And, make sure you follow all of the requirements at the following link too:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/how_to_file_a_petition

I found exemptions granted that were not pilots. I used them for a template when I filed for mine.
It wont matter. You will still be required to get a pilots license or hire a pilot. The only other alternative is to get a business partner that has one. They will NOT exempt you from that rule no matter how hard you try.

I doubt it. Can you provide a link.

The FAA told me specifically that no exemptions are ever granted to non-licensed pilots. Almost all exemptions have a clause similar to that below:

13. Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate.

Is it even possible for a civilian without a pilot's license to get an exemption (the person operating the UAV)?
Can you get a 33 exemption without a pilot cert? Yes, absolutely. Can you use the exemption without a pilot cert? Nope.

From what I've been reading, they'll grant an exemption to just about anyone who can write a halfway coherent letter. But the exemption they grant will require a PIC (i.e. the person flying the drone) to hold a pilot certificate of some sort.

Can you get a 33 exemption without a pilot cert? Yes, absolutely. Can you use the exemption without a pilot cert? Nope.

From what I've been reading, they'll grant an exemption to just about anyone who can write a halfway coherent letter. But the exemption they grant will require a PIC (i.e. the person flying the drone) to hold a pilot certificate of some sort.
You are 100% correct.

I have looked through a lot of the petitions. Some are, indeed, 50-70 pages long, about 10% are written by lawyers and the rest by the individual petitioner.
The shortest petition is for exemption# 11394 (4/23) is a single page letter.

In my opinion the FAA is using the Section 333 exemption as an analogue for the forthcoming Part 107 rules, and as Johan says, getting one shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone can obtain a 333 exemption. However, in order to fly the aircraft/drone/UAV an FAA licensed (oops, certificated for Steve) must be at the controls as PIC. The FAA has not, ever, granted a 333 exempting the business from using an FAA licensed pilot, if anyone has contrary information like an exemption saying so, please post it here so we can all see it.

I think a lot of the businesses applying for Sec 333 exemption are just trying to "do the right thing". Yes, they could be charging for their services without one (which I'm sure a lot of people do anyway), but are trying to follow the rules, however grey they may be right now.

But in the same instance, I don't think many applicants know, or even care about lack of a pilots license, etc. I honestly can't see them worried about a non-existent "drone police".
I'm sure it will go the way SteveMann said with the Part 107 and everyone will be happy.

i'd like to keep in the "know" of the FAA rules, as i have a business and want to integrate aerial photo/video into an additional service, emphasizing safety and qualifications as a selling point. good info on this thread, though confusing just like govt regulations.

i'd like to keep in the "know" of the FAA rules, as i have a business and want to integrate aerial photo/video into an additional service, emphasizing safety and qualifications as a selling point. good info on this thread, though confusing just like govt regulations.
After you get into it a little it is not that confusing. Basically for your business you would need:

1. Certified Pilot (PIC)
2. Section 333 Exemptions W/COA
3. The drive to get it done.

Exemption paperwork is not that bad for the 333 and I have done them for others at $500. The main hurdle is the PIC section. You could hire someone who has a sports pilot or private cert. to do your flying under your exemptions. The next would be the insurance. You would need to get insurance that does not exclude aerial in their policy. Your current Liability insurance on your business might already be sufficient.

No, not yet, anyway.

Again, no.

The FAA and NASA are in the process of rewriting drone laws. In the meantime, if you don't have a pilots license, you can't sell video taken from a UAS. You can take all the video you want and post it anywhere, but you can't sell it.

You don't need a license, you just need a waiver to Section 333 from the FAA

You don't need a license, you just need a waiver to Section 333 from the FAA
More misinformation. Let us be clear. The FAA 33 exemptions require the pilot-in-command (the guy actually with his hands on the controller, not the permit holder) to possess an airman certificate no lower than sport pilot. So yes you need a pilot license to fly UAVs commercially as of 14:45 hours MST September 1, 2015. It will likely change next year...

The FAA has issued 1,407 exemptions, none of them permits a UAV operator to "skip" the license requirement to fly commercially.

Reactions: witold

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4