Yet another incident

1. He say, she say. I want to see proof There are many pilots who will do anything to keep UAVs on the ground.
2. Weve taken the largest deep frozen turkey we could find and threw it into a jetliner engine. Twice the size of a P3 and frozen brick hard. The engine didn't even hiccup. Other than the mess of the bird on the other side, it did NOTHING.
3. If any are to worry, it would be the small planes.

1. He say, she say. I want to see proof There are many pilots who will do anything to keep UAVs on the ground.
2. Weve taken the largest deep frozen turkey we could find and threw it into a jetliner engine. Twice the size of a P3 and frozen brick hard. The engine didn't even hiccup. Other than the mess of the bird on the other side, it did NOTHING.

So its your contention pilots are just making this stuff up? Yeah im sure they have nothing better to do while landing an aircraft with many lives at stake. All you really need to do is search YouTube on a daily basis to find irresponsible people breaking the regulations.

#1- Can you substantiate this?

#2- They are NOT frozen.

#3- Acknowledge a problem exists then?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
So its your contention pilots are just making this stuff up? Yeah im sure they have nothing better to do while landing an aircraft with many lives at stake. All you really need to do is search YouTube on a daily basis to find irresponsible people breaking the regulations.
Do I think they are reporting incorrect information? Yes. We know for a fact that the FAA has lied to the media about these matters.

We've now seen the actual data from the FAA so we know there were very few reports of near misses.

When a pilot sees something and does not know what it is, does it sound better to say it was a UFO or drone? Do pilots have a bias in that reporting something was a drone helps keep all drones away from their planes? Was this something else, perhaps a balloon? This media report is lacking a lot of information so we don't really know many of the facts at this time. When they do come out, you can bet media was report about it.

When my drone goes higher than 200 feet I can barely see it. Just a spot in the air. Then again I am really old

Their was something like 600 plus "Drones" sighted by pilots last year. Even a friend of mine who fly's for SW says its crap.

Yeah, if only Captain Sully would have hit frozen turkeys instead of thawed geese - he'd never had to land in the Hudson.

Not every plane is a jet or an airliner, and not every strike is going to be with the engine.

Here is what a seagull can do to a windshield (a seagull weighs about the same as my Phantom 2 or 3):
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And here is what a goose can do to a windshield (a goose weighs about the same as my buddy's hexcopter which he uses for mapping):

Last edited:

This unfrozen turkey sized bird caused over a million dollars in damage to the plane. If we weren't worried about bird strikes, we wouldn't spend so much on bird mitigation.

Yes, the risks of a UAV strike a bit overblown, but they are real at some level. Fortunately, there will never be as many Phantoms as geese (despite DJI's wet dream about it).

Yeah, if only Captain Sully would have hit frozen turkeys instead of raw geese - he'd never had to land in the Hudson.

Not every plane is a jet or an airliner, and not every strike is going to be with the engine.

Here is what a seagull can do to a windshield (a seagull weighs about the same as my Phantom 2 or 3):

And here is what a goose can do to a windshield (a goose weighs about the same as my buddy's hexcopter which he uses for mapping):

Holy S___

I dont mean to offend, but Im tired of listening to thew anti drone s*%! at work. And whats sad is watching drone fliers here promote anti drone because of fear of 1 drone owner ruining it for all the rest.
#1- Can you substantiate this?
Let me use your quad and I can take it to work tomorrow, and test it and see who's right :eek:
Yes I personally watched and tested this , as a lifelong pilot who flies, and did R&D on Gulfstream G550s and the 650. Do i have a video, No sorry. :( but once again, let me use your quad, and Ill video it going into the intake for you.
#2- They are NOT frozen.
Not frozen, Even better yet. Typically, More damage can be done with a rock hard solid frozen carcass than a live bird.
#3- Acknowledge a problem exists then?
With that being said, why do you believe the original article without proof or video, yet want me to show proof of our testing we have done? If you dont believe me, why believe the article?

Yeah, if only Captain Sully would have hit frozen turkeys instead of raw geese - he'd never had to land in the Hudson.
you seem to like to take what someone says out of context to try to prove your point.
You did see what else I wrote????
Never did I say that a plane could not go down due to a drone.
PS is that not the same video you post every time drone v/s plane is discussed?
And as a pilot, do you not think I have considered it happening to me? You sound just like the anti drone pilots I listen to at work.

Yes, the risks of a UAV strike a bit overblown, but they are real at some level. Fortunately, there will never be as many Phantoms as geese (despite DJI's wet dream about it).
This is pretty true ^
My point exactly. Not that it isnt possible, but more like overblown to make news.
Theres 3 groups: pilots, pilots who fly UAVs, and UAV operators who are not pilots. Which one of the 3 do you think are making these ??

As I sit in rooms full of fellow pilots who don't like the fact that I defend drones. They would rather them just go away. Its sad,but there is a negative attitude and many pilots who dont know the fun of a drone, and will do anything to get rid of them.
Just remember, not everyone on the other end of this forum is a 14 yr old 1st time inexperienced drone owner.
Sorry, Rant over

Last edited:
Sorry about your anger. However, it doesn't change the facts.
And because you've shot a frozen turkey (the hardest and biggest you could find) into a jet engine, doesn't make drones any less dangerous to manned aircraft.

Funny, I am friends with "real pilots" and have some "real pilots" who I fly RC aircraft with, as well as FAA employees, and none of them feel the way your pilot peers feel about drones. Perhaps it is your defense they have the problem with?
I mean, if they are pilots like you, why aren't they of the same attitude as you - that a drone is harmless?

And yes, any time a forum member tries to claim that a drone is incapable of harming a manned aircraft, I post that video. Why do you have a problem with that?
What is interesting is that I haven't posted that video in a few months - yet your current moniker says you joined 3 weeks ago? So - how many monikers do you have on this forum? Seems you've been here a while, just under a different name...

Reactions: dirkclod
I'm sure most of us are NOT Anti-UAV. However, I posted this because I'm Anti-Jackass. Very tired of reading and seeing people fly where they are not supposed to. Even worse if this particular story turns out not true, because that Senator isnt going to care; the excuse has been made to start or continue an agenda.

For the record, Turkeys, frozen or otherwise be dammed. Lol. Nothing like coming back to a post 8hr later and its still going strong.

Sorry about your anger. However, it doesn't change the facts.
And because you've shot a frozen turkey (the hardest and biggest you could find) into a jet engine, doesn't make drones any less dangerous to manned aircraft.

Funny, I am friends with "real pilots" and have some "real pilots" who I fly RC aircraft with, as well as FAA employees, and none of them feel the way your pilot peers feel about drones. Perhaps it is your defense they have the problem with?
I mean, if they are pilots like you, why aren't they of the same attitude as you - that a drone is harmless?
I never said they were "harmless" I stated that the news media as well as many pilots exaggerate these stories to promote their beliefs. I would not want to be downed by a drone, I dont worry much about it. Its the small 4 seater prop planes like in the 1 video you repost that I would worry about.
As you stated, you are not a pilot, only friends with. I have a problem with non pilots reading about what a pilot told media without proof, and believing everything the media says.

I never said they were "harmless" I stated that the news media as well as many pilots exaggerate these stories to promote their beliefs. I would not want to be downed by a drone, I dont worry much about it. Its the small 4 seater prop planes like in the 1 video you repost that I would worry about.
As you stated, you are not a pilot, only friends with. I have a problem with non pilots reading about what a pilot told media without proof, and believing everything the media says.
I don't think I have to be a pilot to have common sense regarding the real danger of drones in our NAS anymore than I have to be a cow to know where milk comes from.

It is quite a leap you are making to think that my posts indicate I am a "non pilot reading about what a pilot told media...and believing everything the media says." WTH? How foolish.

I responded to one (1) of your points - the one which stated you'd shot the hardest and biggest frozen turkey ever into a jet engine and nothing happened. It seemed you were implying because of your tests, that it was not a problem to fly near airports because the worst that would happen is...nothing.

I still don't understand your anger, either a pilot of manned aircraft or a pilot of unmanned aircraft - seems you would advocate for responsible and safe behavior, as both would be beneficial to you in both of your above roles.

Anyway, what other monikers are you posting under to be so familiar with my posting habits?

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
I have seen and tested what some of your fears are. A drone coming in contact with an aircraft. You have these fears, yet you don't fly an aircraft, and your the one who has fears of this, not me ?? Do you not follow my logic? No I dont condone a$$hattery, as I have NOT said. I did say that those numbers are exaggerated.

Regardless of what a drone can do to an airplane, after reading the actual FAA reports from last summer, I can simply no longer take pilot sightings at face value. If you take away unrealistic visual ranges, unrealistic altitudes/speeds/locations and reports which clearly were other manned aircraft (like the white high wing monoplane "drone" on approach to KPAE and squawking 1200!), there isn't much left, kind of like the ASRS report from November where the drone had four balloons on top. This particular article was even more light on details. When and if it shows up in ASRS, I'll take a look at the report. I tend to put a little more credence into helicopter pilot reports because the relative speeds are lower and because they are actually operating in the same airspace where drones are operating, although distance and size and other visual estimates are still a problem for them and as we saw with the helicopter bird strike in LA a little while ago, they get it horribly wrong too.

Reactions: Apilot101

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.