Yet another FAA Registration question

Reaction score
I do not own a drone, but a company I know does and lets me use it... Guess I don't need to register according to the FAA?

Per FAA site:

FAA HomeUnmanned Aircraft Systems ▸ UAS Registration

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration
Register
My UAS
Effective December 21, 2015, anyone who owns a small unmanned aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry before they fly outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 19, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties.

Who must register a UAS?
The owner must be:

• 13 years of age or older. (If the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft.)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.

Correct. The company needs to register it.

Witch is odd because the bird dose not get registered by the FAA the owner gets registered and uses his/her number for the bird . So if the OP has a crash into someone or something his company takes the heat o_O:)

You'd have the same problem if the bird had an N-number and 10 different pilots fly it. As long as it can be traced back to someone, it'll be dead easy to find out who was flying it from that point.

Reactions: JBG
Witch is odd because the bird dose not get registered by the FAA the owner gets registered and uses his/her number for the bird . So if the OP has a crash into someone or something his company takes the heat o_O:)

No.
I think they would use some common sense and investigate. The number will lead them to the company. The company will lead them to the pilot that borrowed and was operating the UAS and proceed accordingly. I think they would just THINK! The point of registration is accountability. Now I can see there are many who are trying to finds ways to NOT be accountable. Registration provides a lead to the actual operator. If the number was "stolen" I think the investigation would proceed looking for that person. These issues would not be that difficult to discern. I wonder if there was this much concern back when they first started registering cars?

A company cannot register a drone for amateur use. A company must file a section 333 exemption and get an N number registration and the drone can only be operated by licensed pilots.

If it is for amateur use, it must be registered to a person.

Why not? Cannot access to a 'company' drone simply be a job benefit?
Sure. But, if the drone is being used for a commercial use, it needs to have an N-number assigned to it.

If it is a commercially owned drone, it must adhere to the commercial use requirements. I doubt there's any way around it.

Commercially owned or commercially USED?

Sure. But, if the drone is being used for a commercial use, it needs to have an N-number assigned to it.

If.

I think you're confusing ownership with use. If MegaCorp just buys a drone, but doesn't use it commercially, then it's not being used for commercial use.

I think you're confusing ownership with use. If MegaCorp just buys a drone, but doesn't use it commercially, then it's not being used for commercial use.
It doesn't matter if MegaCorp or JustAOneManShow buys the drone. If it's being used for a commercial purpose, then it needs to have an N-number. MegaCorp buying a drone for hobby use is not a commercial purpose.

It doesn't matter if MegaCorp or JustAOneManShow buys the drone. If it's being used for a commercial purpose, then it needs to have an N-number. MegaCorp buying a drone for hobby use is not a commercial purpose.

IF.

IF.

IF.

If they use it for commercial uses, yes, that's a different story. So yes, an N number is required.

But if not, then what rule or law says MegaCorp cannot register?

Commercially owned or commercially USED?

I suspect the FAA considers commercial ownership the same as commercial use. I don't see any mechanism for a company to register a drone for non-commercial use.

I don't see any mechanism for a company to register a drone for non-commercial use.
The mechanism would be the new UAS registration.

Why not? Cannot access to a 'company' drone simply be a job benefit?

EXACTLY!

And in this case both P2v3+ ARE for employee personal entertainment; yep, job benefit. Approved by company accountants as valid deductible expenses.

I don't think anyone here is trying to debate this point.

Wrong answer.

See my OP. I do NOT see the FAA rule stating who can register including a corporation. See post #1 again and read FAA rules WHO can and must register....

Now go back and look at all the replies here; there is NO consensus of whether a corporation is even ALLOWED to register.... so yes, there is plenty of debate on this point.

Now go back and look at all the replies here; there is NO consensus of whether a corporation is even ALLOWED to register.... so yes, there is plenty of debate on this point.
Right away, sir... :D

This is most likely an odd and rare use case for a Phantom. I suspect the FAA will not require the Phantom to have an N-number, to be flown by a pilot, require a spotter, etc. since the Phantom will not be used directly to make money. If anyone has doubts though, they should surely contact the FAA since nobody in this thread is qualified to speak on behalf of the FAA.

Reactions: yorlik
EXACTLY!

And in this case both P2v3+ ARE for employee personal entertainment; yep, job benefit. Approved by company accountants as valid deductible expenses.
If they are 'valid, deductible expenses' doesn't that imply a business use, ie, commercial, ie, 333?

Does a company get to deduct a foosball table?

If they are 'valid, deductible expenses' doesn't that imply a business use, ie, commercial, ie, 333?

Does a company get to deduct a foosball table?

A valid deductible expense does NOT automatically imply a business use; there are plenty of allowed deductible expenses for employee benefits; now, it may be argued that the employees may have to have the monetary equivalent of this benefit included as income on their W-2 forms....

Absolutely, if argued correctly, a foosball table can be a valid company deducible expense.

Reactions: msinger

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31