Yes I need some help.

Reaction score
First of all I still haven't gotten my phantom 2 (going to use it with H3-D3 gimbal n gopro hero 3 black)
At first I was going to go with the same set-up my buddy has but after speeding sometime reading he's one of those
More power is better type of pilot that (thinks he knows everything abt drones)

His set up.
Black mamba 2000mw
White dwarf monitor
ibcrazy omnidirectional antennas
Iosd mini.

I seen him get 2.5km (FPV) with this set up.

Now where I need help.
I would like to have similar range sense we both work on the same field without having to use the 2000mw transmitter.

I need some help in coming up with a 5.8ghz 600mw setup
For the screen I was looking into getting the BP 32 channel and the iosd mini.
But that's all I have. I will need help getting a compatible transmitter and the 3 antennas.
(People go with two ibcrazy mushroom antennas and one of the spiraling ones?)

Thanks in advance for the help

you are correct that 2000mW is total overkill. Plenty of folks with 400 and 600mW transmitters are reaching the edge of the operational range of the P2 itself (around 3.5km under ideal conditions before you need to head back before battery runs out) so there's really no need for that kind of FPV transmit power. What you DO need are premium antennas and proper orientation on the transmit antenna (hanging below the legs, no obstructions).

Yes, the IBCrazy's are popular antennas due to their performance/price point but if you want serious range around here most of us regard FPVLR as the best you can get, assuming you can afford them. FPVLR just made a new kit at my suggestion with his best transmit antenna (Pentalobe) to go along with the standard Pinwheel and 4.25 turn helix (the "spiraling one" you mention) for your receiver.
Here's a link to the kit bear in mind you'll need to pick the right connector for your transmit antenna based off which transmitter you get.

People around here talk about going over 2km easy with those antennas on a 400/600mW transmitter, I personally have been out to about 1.8km and the FPV was as solid as when it is sitting next to me. This was of course in a rural, low-interference environment. I seriously doubt you'll ever see that kind of distance in an urban setting, there's too much interference on the 2.4Ghz band and my RC signal cuts out around 1km-1.1km over the city, not the FPV.

QYV said:
you are correct that 2000mW is total overkill. Plenty of folks with 400 and 600mW transmitters are reaching the edge of the operational range of the P2 itself (around 3.5km under ideal conditions before you need to head back before battery runs out) so there's really no need for that kind of FPV transmit power. What you DO need are premium antennas and proper orientation on the transmit antenna (hanging below the legs, no obstructions).

Yes, the IBCrazy's are popular antennas due to their performance/price point but if you want serious range around here most of us regard FPVLR as the best you can get, assuming you can afford them. FPVLR just made a new kit at my suggestion with his best transmit antenna (Pentalobe) to go along with the standard Pinwheel and 4.25 turn helix (the "spiraling one" you mention) for your receiver.
Here's a link to the kit bear in mind you'll need to pick the right connector for your transmit antenna based off which transmitter you get.

People around here talk about going over 2km easy with those antennas on a 400/600mW transmitter, I personally have been out to about 1.8km and the FPV was as solid as when it is sitting next to me. This was of course in a rural, low-interference environment. I seriously doubt you'll ever see that kind of distance in an urban setting, there's too much interference on the 2.4Ghz band and my RC signal cuts out around 1km-1.1km over the city, not the FPV.

Thanks for that useful information. Do you have any recommendations for a transmitter let's say I do go with those antennas you mention (probably will) and with the BP 32 channel. Also seen people say the 7 channel is more compatible with most transmitter models.
So as of now this is what I would be buying. Will pull the trigger once it's complete
1. BP screen
2. Iosd Mini (would like to mount it inside of the phantom 2 shell. Would it cause problems?$
3. FPVLR antenna kit
4. 600mw transmitter (suggestions brands)

not exactly, let me clear that up: the community at large here is aware of only ONE Specific transmitter / receiver incompatibility, and that is the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter, when combined with the 32ch Black Pearl screen. ANY other combination of screen / transmitter should be fine.
so assuming for a second you want the IRC600 transmitter, you can run the 7ch Black Pearl screen, or the 32ch RX-LCD5802 either will work fine.

Alternately, plenty of folks (with FPVLR antennas remember) are pushing 2+km with a TS353 400mW transmitter. If you really feel like that isn't enough power for you, there's the TS352 500mW transmitter which actually puts out 1000mW on the first few channels. Either one of those transmitters TS353 or TS352 could be used with the 32ch Black Pearl or the RX-LCD5802.

Just watch out for that ONE incompatible combo (IRC600 + 32ch BP) and of course pay VERY close attention to your antenna connectors, both on the transmitter and receiver to make sure you get the right ones!

most of us do an "internal iOSD Mini" installation, it's super easy and totally harmless assuming of course you don't damage anything being careless. Obviously you know the CAN-BUS connector on the leg... pop the 4 screws and leg mounting brackets, you won't need them. Then you disconnect the large black plug from the smaller white plug and pull the cable with the small white plug up inside the body. re-attach the large black plug and voila! your CAN-BUS connector is now inside the body.

QYV said:
not exactly, let me clear that up: the community at large here is aware of only ONE Specific transmitter / receiver incompatibility, and that is the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter, when combined with the 32ch Black Pearl screen. ANY other combination of screen / transmitter should be fine.
so assuming for a second you want the IRC600 transmitter, you can run the 7ch Black Pearl screen, or the 32ch RX-LCD5802 either will work fine.

Alternately, plenty of folks (with FPVLR antennas remember) are pushing 2+km with a TS353 400mW transmitter. If you really feel like that isn't enough power for you, there's the TS352 500mW transmitter which actually puts out 1000mW on the first few channels. Either one of those transmitters TS353 or TS352 could be used with the 32ch Black Pearl or the RX-LCD5802.

Just watch out for that ONE incompatible combo (IRC600 + 32ch BP) and of course pay VERY close attention to your antenna connectors, both on the transmitter and receiver to make sure you get the right ones!

most of us do an "internal iOSD Mini" installation, it's super easy and totally harmless assuming of course you don't damage anything being careless. Obviously you know the CAN-BUS connector on the leg... pop the 4 screws and leg mounting brackets, you won't need them. Then you disconnect the large black plug from the smaller white plug and pull the cable with the small white plug up inside the body. re-attach the large black plug and voila! your CAN-BUS connector is now inside the body.

So I purchsed the BP screen, the iosd mini, and the TS352 transmitter.
Now I just need to purchase the antennas. I will be going with the FPVLR set. Just two questions about it,
1. Which connector do I need to attach to screen? SMA Male or RP-SMA Male?
2. Isn't it better/safer to get the antennas that have the globe around it for protection? So they don't bend?
So that was 4 questions lol.
Anyways thanks for the useful info. Just got tracking code for the drone!!! :D

I would also suggest a plug and play cable so that no soldering will be required.

1) i would wait until you receiver everything so you can double check yourself. the 32ch BP came in SMA and RP-SMA versions, so you won't know until you have it in hand.
2) common sense and a little precaution is all it takes. but you can buy those protective caps. i've seen them on shapeways.

agree with dptcalvin, if you haven't already definitely get the PnP cable. You can find a link in the "lowest prices on FPV components" stickythread in this sub-forum, you should definitely read through that if you haven't already.

I've run the TS352 transmitter before, it works fine but it's big and heavy. If $35 isn't a lot for you, consider also snagging a TS353 and compare the two... everything will be compatible (PnP cable + antennas) so it's easy to swap between them. I sometimes run the TS352 when I'm flying over the city to help burn through the interference with stronger wattage, but I use the same antennas.

"which connector do I need to attach to screen": not sure exactly what you mean here. That screen should have a 5.8ghz receiver built in so you just need to plug in antennas and match frequencies with your transmitter to get the signal. If you're asking about how to attach the screen to your RC, I recommend a 3d-printed mount, several options are available. again, check out the stickythread I mentioned above for links. I personally have the RaveAerialVideo one, but only because the slightly cheaper adjustable one from Shapeways wasn't available at the time.

Antenna connectors: I'm going to help you educate yourself because I think it's a good thing to know if you're going to get into this hobby. There is a DIFFERENT stickythread called FPV Antenna Connector Reference which will explain and show you the various choices, and there's a cheat sheet for common transmitters. Can you spot your Boscam transmitter? Which gender and type does it have? therefore, which gender and type does your Tx antenna need to be? hint: FPV video transmitters are heterosexual ;)
I would also contact FPVLR before you order, tell them you intend to order the bundle but want to make sure you get your RECEIVER antennas in the right type/gender. Tell them which display exactly you are getting (part/model number), there are several different BP screens that have different antenna connectors like dptcalvin mentioned above.

You are correct that having the lobes exposed like on the FPVLR antennas is more risky, so you should be careful at all times and you need to come up with a way to store/transport them safely. I put them in a PVC tube with caps on the ends.
I honestly don't know anything about "protector caps" for the lobes but I can tell you that just because the other antennas have caps on them certainly doesn't mean they are better. I've flown with several other Phantom pilots and I've never seen anyone get close to the FPV performance as on the FPVLR's.

Speaking of FPVLR, just yesterday he posted a new bundle at my suggestion that has the Pentalobe transmit antenna instead of the Pinwheel. it's only $10 more, which is the cost difference of the 2 antennas individually, so imo if you're going to spend $110 for a set of premium antennas, go ahead and throw $10 more for the upgraded transmit antenna... I run the pentalobe it's awesome.
the link to the bundle is in the FPV components stickythread of course

Read the stickies above and you will find links to what you want, with the best prices. I bought two 600mw. (For two FPV installations)

I can tell you from my electronics experience and 50 years as an amateur radio operators, that antennas make a huge difference in reception and transmission than transmitter power.

All you will accomplish is draining your battery down. 400mW versus 1W does so little that you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

Welcome to the forum! :)

First and most thanks for the quick replies and useful information you have all provided. Flew my friends drone the other day and I told him that I went with the 600mw transmitter and the reaction was as expected "no dude should of gone with 2000mw" then I sent him over to this forum and well he got quite very quickly
By the 12 I should have everything expect the antennas as I am waiting to see what connector the monitor will fly. If I get my monitor earlier I'm going to try and get the antennas before 10 AM on the 13th because this upcoming weekend would be the first time we get to work with them other than here in Miami. Will have a nice little set up trying to get some exposure to what we want to do with the drones. Will post pictures of everything eventually

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4