Yaw, Yaw Yawn... problem

Reaction score
Hello

I'm a newby, and I fly a DJI Phantom V2, or more correctly i'm trying to fly it.
I have a problem, which is as follows:-
With a full battery, with the compass calibrated, and with a lock on 12 satellites, the quad copter becomes unstable whenever I operate the Yaw control, either clock or anti-clockwise, forward, backwards and side to side flight is not effected.
I have tried various gain settings and different propellers to no avail, I don't know what else to try, here are a couple of photo's showing settings.

Attachments

• IMG_4550.JPG
    IMG_4550.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 385
  • IMG_4548.JPG
    IMG_4548.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 376
  • IMG_4549.JPG
    IMG_4549.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 408
Have you done an advanced IMU calibration on a level surface?

Don't mess with the gains, very limited for control. The basic gains are for the automatic quad functions and not for YAW controls. Do an RC stick calibration and the IMU calibration. That should help.

Thanks for the reply's guys

I have checked all software, it is uptodate,
Did a complete calibration of the Quad and the controller joysticks on a flat table, which had been checked with a machine level, on both axes.
Updated Naza when I installed DJI's ISOD mini. I fly with a Zenmuse H3-3D, and a Gopro Hero 4.
Each axis Forwards BackWards, Left & Right are OK, Climb is OK decent is a bit unstable, its only Yaw that is so bad it can crash fro 10 15 Feet up.
I will take a video if that helps anyone recognise the problem.
Thanks Guys

Welcome to the party Waylander. Other side of the pond from the US???

From the moment you turn on the Phantom, until it has completed all of it's checks and is 100% ready to fly, DON'T MOVE IT AT ALL. Then fly it.

It doesn't matter how level your table is if the Phantom's NAZA module is not level. One way to get pretty close to ensuring the NAZA is level is to place a sheet of glass on top of the motor shafts, not the top of the props, the motor shafts. Put your level on the glass and check that.

Make sure the surface does not move during the Advanced IMU calibration. I cannot emphasize this enough.

If you find your motor shafts are level while on the table which you have checked with the machine level, perhaps you should open the lid and place a bubble level on the NAZA unit itself.

Throwing darts in the dark here Waylander. Hoping something will work for you.

There's a great search link in my signature, and some other stuff.

Enjoy the show.

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks IflyInWY
Great tip about the sheet of glass I will try it, and also look at your link
Once more thanks and I hope works

Reactions: IflyinWY
Hello IFlyInWY

Many thanks for your tip, Last night I set up a surface plate and levelled it using a machine level, (accurate to 0.002" inch per division) I placed the Phantom on to the surface plate and then placed a sheet of glass from a mirror (which must be flat & parallel or you would get image distortion) onto the prop shafts, and checked the level again, which was slightly out, so I adjusted the surface plate accordingly.
I then did the IMU calibration, which I had to do twice, the first calibration only lasted 30 seconds, which I assumed was wrong as the assistant says it should take between 5 10 mins, the second attempt did take around 5 mins so I assumed this to be OK (should the Zunmuse gimbal move during the calibration procedure, well it did), anyway having done the IMU calibration and calibrated the Tx joysticks I flew the Phantom, and it all seems to be OK now, so thanks again.
However another problem I have is with the Zenmuse gimbal, I have checked the mountings and shafts for distortion, which are all OK but the gimbal tilts slightly towards the left (when viewed from the front) with a gopro hero4 mounted, is it possible to trim this balance using software or something, most of the other posts seem to attribute problems in balance to distortion in the frame or shafts but I have checked all the measurement with a vernier calliper, and all seems OK, any ideas... :)
Waylander

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dosserdd