Yaw wobble and compass calibration.

Reaction score
Just got back to Florida from a Tennessee vacation where I finally was able to film my 2 favorite TVA facilities Raccoon Mountain pumped storage plant and Chickamauga dam.... sat down at the computer to review the much anticipated footage and my heart sank. Almost every ascent or descent has significant yaw wobble and is not remotely up to typical P3 quality. It's as if I had been tapping the left control stick to the side randomly through out the flight. Was not pronounced on FPV unfortunately: I noticed on one of my preflights that the compass mod was in the low 1600s compared to the normal 1530ish but didn't think much of it. At this point, I am working on the assumption that the compass calibration was the issue but can't confirm it.

I'm not sure at what geographical distance a recal is required but can say for sure now that I'll be checking that mod value on the road.

Food for thought...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I found the same thing this morning on my P4 with the yaw wobble while filming under a Mississippi River bridge when I downloaded the video and viewed it. So much for smooth flight despite virtually no wind.

My compass is calibrated prior to each flight. Did either of you calibrate the gimbal as well?

I always calibrate compass at every new location (I do it when i change batteries!) but today I could not because I was under a steel bridge. Are you saying yaw wobble is compass related?

I always calibrate compass at every new location (I do it when i change batteries!) but today I could not because I was under a steel bridge. Are you saying yaw wobble is compass related?

I believe so, i have not seen that behavior anywhere I have flown in Florida including in the keys several hundred miles away. The only thing I could attribute it to was possibly the compass because I have never seen the mod value > 1600 before and it also gave me a calibration error mid flight once and went into ATTI for a few minutes (sorry important info left out of OP).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers