Yaw Kicks

Reaction score
I have a DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter with Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal and I get yaw kicks to the Gimbal at a rate of 4-5 seconds. This happens almost always with a exception of sometimes in regular flight (not hovering) it calms down to just "every once in a while". Any idea what causes this or what I can do to prevent it? Driving me nuts! Thanks in advance for any assistance!
-PJ

Is the top motor (yaw motor) coming into contact with the chassis of the Phantom at all?

a lot of H3-3D's lately have not been perfectly balanced, so when it tries to operate during flight the motors work too hard and you get the resets that I think you're referring to as "yaw kick"... when one axis goes limp and the snaps back?

Have you checked your gimbal+gopro for proper neutral balance with the Phantom power off? I can elaborate if you don't know exactly what I mean

Are you on the latest firmware? (1.0.0.6) I had the same problem, updating the firmware reduced the yaw snapping dramatically.

yea sorry I sort of changed the subject without meaning to. I did indeed help spectre with the yaw kicks, showing him how to neutral balance.

I also mentioned my horizon/yaw tilt which is a completely separate thing. I'm not getting the "kicks" described by the OP, but when I have my hero4 mounted it's permanently tilted a few degrees, which is driving me insane. but I'll deal with that in a more appropriate thread :)

Getting yaw kicks constantly here too. Tried relocating the battery, putting two of the black lighter damping balls in a diagonal configuration with two of the white ones and weighting one side of the GoPro so it would balance when unpowered. Even on an almost completely calm day today, moving at a snail's pace of 3m/s I was getting them every few seconds. I'm using an F450 with the standalone H3-3D by the way.

I had this problem with one H3-3D. I returned it after doing upgrades and calibrations. It helped, but didn't solve it. It's a known issue and the only way to completely fix it is to replace the IMU(send it back to DJI for the free repair). I didn't have time for that, so I returned it to the vendor and purchased a new one. I've had 4 H3-3Ds and only one has had this problem, all were tested on the same craft and running the same firmware.

So, upon inspection, here's a potential cause of sporadic yaw snapping, although I won't know for sure until my next flight.

Either way, this is a disgracefully bad bit of design from DJI, the bottom part has sheared straight off and if you look carefully the top has a crack which could've easily broken on today's flight leaving a £300 GoPro3+BE held in by a flimsy ribbon cable and luck. Fortunately a bracket from a broken Walkera G-3D is a perfect fit and is metal, unlike DJI's cheapskate effort.

Attachments

• ****.png
    ****.png
    706.4 KB · Views: 417
Hi, Likewise my bracket broke as well, just brought a replacement. Not impressed. Mark

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1