Yaw Instability

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
It's like a car with an alignment problem. The Phantom will not hold a heading consistently.

Either some firmware after 3.04 and/or the H3-3D introduced an un-commanded yaw problem. The whole Phantom will rotate up to 10 degrees without any input. It won't hold a track consistently and when trying to aim a shot, it will lag badly. It is particularly bad when:

• yawing while stationary
  • initiating a forward movement
  • descending (even at 0.5m/s)
  • coordinated yawing and rolling
  • flying forward into a wind
The gimbal will also track off center in a number of shots, mostly to the left. Raising the yaw gain does little to fix either issue and lowering it makes it sloppy. I suspect the whole issue is gimbal related but most of the un-commanded yaw is being done by the Phantom.

Hitting 10.7v early wouldn't be so bad if I knew I had the shot. This is ruining shots.

DJI, you should be paying me to beta test your products.

ianwood said:
It's like a car with an alignment problem. The Phantom will not hold a heading consistently.

Either some firmware after 3.04 and/or the H3-3D introduced an un-commanded yaw problem. The whole Phantom will rotate up to 10 degrees without any input. It won't hold a track consistently and when trying to aim a shot, it will lag badly. It is particularly bad when:

The gimbal will also track off center in a number of shots, mostly to the left. Raising the yaw gain does little to fix either issue and lowering it makes it sloppy. I suspect the whole issue is gimbal related but most of the un-commanded yaw is being done by the Phantom.

Hitting 10.7v early wouldn't be so bad if I knew I had the shot. This is ruining shots.

I would take the gimbal off and see if you still are having the problem - at least that might help narrow it down to your Gimbal theory.

Is it a new H3-3D?

Have you been in a crash recently?

Are all the motors at an equal heat when you land?

Advanced IMU cal after installing gimbal??

ianwood said:

I've always had the same problem, never with my Phantom 1 though. It won't track forward and combination yaw/roll movements are very tricky to get just right because you have to compensate for the instability you mentioned. I tried messing with the gains to no avail, too high and the thing is twitchy, too low and it's sluggish.
Here's hoping someone has a suggestion on how to fix. Combined with my bird landing at about 60% battery life across all of my batteries, I'm starting to think this thing needed quite a bit more testing before being released to market.

IMU advanced calibration done. No crashes. H3-3D seems to otherwise work fine. It's balanced. It doesn't flop or kick. If someone has an H3-3D / P2 that doesn't do that, I'd like to compare settings. I suspect it's either a setting or firmware issue.

Can you roll back to 1.08?

ianwood said:
skeeter said:
Can you roll back to 1.08?

Rolling back means J hook. No thanks.

Yeah...kinda figured. ..was thinking just for experimental value....

Concerned that if I roll back to test if that fixes it, I may break something else. Would rather hear from others what they have that is different that makes theirs work better if that actually is the case.

ianwood said:
IMU advanced calibration done. No crashes. H3-3D seems to otherwise work fine. It's balanced. It doesn't flop or kick. If someone has an H3-3D / P2 that doesn't do that, I'd like to compare settings. I suspect it's either a setting or firmware issue.

Mine doesn't have this problem... which settings are you interested in comparing? I can try to look it up when I get home later.

Buckaye said:
Mine doesn't have this problem... which settings are you interested in comparing? I can try to look it up when I get home later.

That would be really helpful. Let's start with firmware versions and gains. Basically screenshots of the "view" and "upgrade" tabs in the P2 assistant.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31