Yaw Gains

Reaction score
Having flown a DJI 550, and a QAV500, with ease. The Phantom, when trying to spin it in place wants to take off in the direction of the initial spin, rather than turning on its axis. Checked the IMU and the compass, plus all the other possibilities, as well as I've played with the gains but have not found a decent set that lets me do a 360 without running off.
Most recent:
190 190 170 170
70 70
Also gone up to:
210 210 180 180
75 75
And:
190 190 160 150
70 70
ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, my settings are as recommended by the folks I bought the props from. My other machines did hover-axis 360s no matter what the gains were set at depending on the load and props. The Phantom moves great in all directions except for when I try to spin her in a hover. It immediately starts heading in the initial direction of the spin.

Most recent gains:
190 190 170 170
70 70
Also gone up to:
210 210 180 180
75 75
And:
190 190 160 150
70 70

snapdog said:
Yes, my settings are as recommended by the folks I bought the props from. My other machines did hover-axis 360s no matter what the gains were set at depending on the load and props. The Phantom moves great in all directions except for when I try to spin her in a hover. It immediately starts heading in the initial direction of the spin.

Most recent gains:
<a href="tel:190 190 170 170">190 190 170 170</a>
70 70
Also gone up to:
<a href="tel:210 210 180 180">210 210 180 180</a>
75 75
And:
<a href="tel:190 190 160 150">190 190 160 150</a>
70 70

manual mode?

Advanced IMU calibration and fresh compass calibration followed by a power down then up?

Doesn't NAza go as high as 250 pitch and yaw?

I would put in manual and spin doesn't manual max all the gain values by default?

Capodrone said:

I would put in manual and spin doesn't manual max all the gain values by default?

Pitch & Roll 20 - 500 %
Yaw 30 - 300 %
Vertical 50 - 250 %

Need 7th channel for dual gain settings. Manual will not max out.

tanasit said:
Capodrone said:

Pitch & Roll 20 - 500 %
Yaw 30 - 300 %
Vertical 50 - 250 %

So If he wants to make it spin faster he should max out yaw to 300%? :?:

What would happen if I max out all settings? Unit becomes more responsive but super sensitive to user inputs?

be careful playing with the gain settings... this could make the craft very unstable to fly. with limited spare parts available on the markets, being grounded because you broke something and the parts are not in stock is no fun :evil:

tanasit said:
Capodrone said:

Pitch & Roll 20 - 500 %
Yaw 30 - 300 %
Vertical 50 - 250 %

How does one use a 7th channel to alter gain settings??

I copied the 3 steps below from the BASIC tab of NAZA assistant.

Remote tuning setting:
1. Make sure TX setting is correct.
2. Choose the X1/X2 channel.
3. The range of remote tuning is from half to twice the setup value.

This mean you need to use the 7th channel whether it is flap, gear or etc. by connecting its corresponding slot on the RX to either X1 or X2 on NAZA (unless you are using the D-bus (single cable) then you're good to go), Open the Naza assistant, set the REMOTE ADJUST to whatever channel you want (X1 or X2), set the values you want.
Flip the switch and see the the numbers (values) changes accordingly, if so now you can change the GAIN in flight.

In the ATTI and GPS mode, the GAIN setting is the sensitivity of the IMU control but in the MANUAL mode the GAIN is the stick sensitivity. Another words, in the ATTI & PPS, the IMU will give more control with more GAIN, so if you set the GAIN too much your Phantom will start to oscillate just like too much gain on the gyro of any rc helicopter. This is why in the NAZA assistant, it says that you may increase the GAIN until it starts to oscillate then LOWER the GAIN 10%.
As for the YAW, the principle of the control rely on the torque created by the "differences" in the rotational direction of the props. As a result, it will not be a strong yaw by any means unlike the tail rotor of the rc helicopter that can give an eye popping pirouette.
Why do we want the higher GAIN setting then?
For the people who put a lot of weight on his Phantom, the higher GAIN will give him a better overall control, in particular the higher VERTICAL gain setting will keep the Phantom better altitude hold in fast turn or bank.

Thanks tanasit,
I can see I'm going to have to take my laptop out to the flying field, and play around with my settings.
I don't know exactly how much my Phantom weighs, but it feels like a box of hammers.

Actually, I just now weighed it. ( 1.258 kg ) = ( 2.77 lbs ) 2 3/4 lbs. and that is without the fpv equipment I'll be adding.

Audaciter said:
Thanks tanasit,
I can see I'm going to have to take my laptop out to the flying field, and play around with my settings.
I don't know exactly how much my Phantom weighs, but it feels like a box of hammers.

Actually, I just now weighed it. ( 1.258 kg ) = ( 2.77 lbs ) 2 3/4 lbs. and that is without the fpv equipment I'll be adding.

With that weight, I recommend the 9x5 props and set the vertical GAIN to max.
Many praise about the wooden Zinger 9x5, especially bored and with balance option for our Phantom.
You are up to the limit of the Phantom now... :!:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie