yaw drift

Reaction score
Hi everyone...right i am new to quadcopters but not new to imaging as have been into astrophotography for many years.
Any way i have purchased a dji fc40 a couple of weeks ago,didnt want to spend to much yet until i get used to flying it.So pulled it out the box and just took it up and it flew lovely....until i upgraded firmware and now she still flies perfect but the yaw is terrible,drifts about 6ft in both ways. i have tried installing all hardware again,calibrated controller several times, done exactly what it tells u to do in the instructions.Please please help me.Many thx

I assume you have performed the advanced IMU calibration?

When you did that, did you look for things nearby that might interfere? I was having a similar problem until I realized that where I was performing the calibration was next to a power brick for a laptop. I moved it as far away from electronics (including my phone) and metal as I could and there was a dramatic improvement.

marley1000 said:
Hi everyone...right i am new to quadcopters but not new to imaging as have been into astrophotography for many years.
Any way i have purchased a dji fc40 a couple of weeks ago,didnt want to spend to much yet until i get used to flying it.So pulled it out the box and just took it up and it flew lovely....until i upgraded firmware and now she still flies perfect but the yaw is terrible,drifts about 6ft in both ways.

If you're flying in GPS mode that's to be expected. Most newbies seem to think flying in GPS mode will keep it locked in one spot. Not so. Civilian GPS mode allows drift up to an 8 ft diameter. Military GPS will hold it much tighter. Another issue is wind. Do you remember the wind velocity the first time you flew it? Calm wind or breezy? Most first flights the pilots are excited and don't remember the important variables involved.

More importantly, taking it right out of the box and taking off isn't the smartest thing to do, just because it says, "RTF". Setting it up on your computer is extremely important before your first flight. And, highly recommended even by the manufacturer. As well as obtaining all of the firmware and other updates to ensure a safe flights.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub