Yaw drift issue

Royva. Now that is my next purchase along with a laser thermometer to check motor temps. Thanks to all

I was gonna suggest the RPM meter as Royva mentioned. I saw a tutorial on YouTube on how you can troubleshoot the issue.

I use to have a lot of drift during yaw, about 15-20ft. I pulled off the top and used a bullseye level and business cards to get it perfectly level. After the advanced calibration, my P2v+ now spins on a dime! Very happy.

I use to have a lot of drift during yaw, about 15-20ft. I pulled off the top and used a bullseye level and business cards to get it perfectly level. After the advanced calibration, my P2v+ now spins on a dime! Very happy.

Where have you placed the bullseye level? On the top of the naza?

You can level across all 4 arms and get a her good and level. Just position the level so it is clear of the wiring or any objects that may push up on the level. I found the best way is to put a wrap of tape around the arm and over the ESC wires to make a level spot. Then I check all four locations for level. You can also do it with the lid on by placing the level on arms next to motors at all four locations. Then run the calibration and see how the drift is.

Bullseye level on top of the NAZA itself. Also tested across the motors. The bubble is dead center in both cases. Sure do wish it were this easy on my aircraft.

Or you can use a CNC leveled within +/- 0.00001" and use a CNC probe to ensure the Phantom is dead level. I had to use multiple thickness shims on all 4 corners to level. Spins on a dime now...FYI never reset your IMU data lol.
IMG_2355[1].JPG

Reactions: Jeff48920
Or you can use a CNC leveled within +/- 0.00001" and use a CNC probe to ensure the Phantom is dead level. I had to use multiple thickness shims on all 4 corners to level. Spins on a dime now...FYI never reset your IMU data lol.View attachment 17520

QUITE HILARIOUS....... I must be certain to order this machine ASAP

OK I received my laser temperature probe yesterday and flew the Phantom for about 12 minutes. I made no other adjustments on the NAZA level nor did I recalibrate the IMU.

Ambient flight temperature was 50 degrees F.

I assigned each motor a number based on the following map:

With the phantom in launch position (battery in view, green lights facing pilot, red lights facing away)
Motor 1 = Front Right
Motor 2= Front Left
Motor 3= Rear Left
Motor 4= Rear Right

Within two minutes after the flight, I shone the laser half way up on the solid part of the metal housing surrounding the coil. Here are the results
Motor 1= 69.4 F
Motor 2=69.6 F
Motor 3=72.3 F
Motor 4=74.8 F

Is there anything here that looks like an issue that either could impact on the yaw drift problem, or signal a yet to be seen issue.

Still waiting on the laser digital tachometer.

Other than the yaw drift the Phantom seems to be flying quite well.

I'll check mine tonight, its about 50 here too so that will work well for comparison, but I dont think temperature will matter. The ESCs will keep the correct RPM regardless of motor temp until failure, and the ESCs just listen to the computer. After your IMU calibration, what were your numbers? Also, what compass are you running?

There's always the possibility you're expecting too much from a $300 flight controller.
To create the torque required to rotate one motor pair must be sped up and the other slowed down.

This is going to cause a change in attitude which will vector thrust and thus some drifting will occur.
Add to that ambient conditions, the CG error, and the quality of the equipment and what you get is not perfect but pretty good for the money

I'll check mine tonight, its about 50 here too so that will work well for comparison, but I dont think temperature will matter. The ESCs will keep the correct RPM regardless of motor temp until failure, and the ESCs just listen to the computer. After your IMU calibration, what were your numbers? Also, what compass are you running?
The post IMU cal MOD numbers are as follows
Gyro between .1 and .3
Accel at 1.00
Compass at 1868

Not sure what you mean by what compass are you running. The P2V+ is stock with the exception of a "Killer" gimbal saver and a UAVbits carbon fiber camera guard.

There's always the possibility you're expecting too much from a $300 flight controller.
To create the torque required to rotate one motor pair must be sped up and the other slowed down.

This is going to cause a change in attitude which will vector thrust and thus some drifting will occur.
Add to that ambient conditions, the CG error, and the quality of the equipment and what you get is not perfect but pretty good for the money

While you may be right overall, when I first got the phantom the yaw was solid as if spinning on a post. I agree that even in this condition, it is **** good for the $$$.

Mine has never spun that tightly and it differs from time to time.

There's no mfg. spec. so who's to know what is 'bad' other than compared to an expectation.

The current top-shelf DJI flight controller costs as much as the P3P.

Off the top of my head, i think your compass is high.

After my IMU calibration mine spins on a dime, but this is inside a machine shop with zero winds, and because of the metal roof...no GPS.

Compass mod= 750 - 2250.

It will vary depending on immediate surroundings

OK I received my laser temperature probe yesterday and flew the Phantom for about 12 minutes. I made no other adjustments on the NAZA level nor did I recalibrate the IMU.

Ambient flight temperature was 50 degrees F.

I assigned each motor a number based on the following map:

With the phantom in launch position (battery in view, green lights facing pilot, red lights facing away)
Motor 1 = Front Right
Motor 2= Front Left
Motor 3= Rear Left
Motor 4= Rear Right

Within two minutes after the flight, I shone the laser half way up on the solid part of the metal housing surrounding the coil. Here are the results
Motor 1= 69.4 F
Motor 2=69.6 F
Motor 3=72.3 F
Motor 4=74.8 F

Is there anything here that looks like an issue that either could impact on the yaw drift problem, or signal a yet to be seen issue.

Still waiting on the laser digital tachometer.

Other than the yaw drift the Phantom seems to be flying quite well.

Ignore the heat. If you are flying fwd, the 2 rear props (motor3 and 4) will always be hotter. It needs to push more to make the phantom tilt fwd.
Other things that may affect the heat on the motor is if there is bias in the wind and weight.

Try spinning the phantom with ATTI mode and then try with the GPS. If the yaw is out on the GPS, then its IMU+NAZA and GPS trying to calculate on fly to correct itself.

Ignore the heat. If you are flying fwd, the 2 rear props (motor3 and 4) will always be hotter. It needs to push more to make the phantom tilt fwd.
Other things that may affect the heat on the motor is if there is bias in the wind and weight.

Try spinning the phantom with ATTI mode and then try with the GPS. If the yaw is out on the GPS, then its IMU+NAZA and GPS trying to calculate on fly to correct itself.

+1
Motor temps would be much farther apart if there were an issue there.

Please upload a video of your issue.
Any additional info will only result in a more rapid resolution.

We're here to help. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers