Yaw confusion

Reaction score
Just got a phantom - put it together - updated the firmware to 4.02 and flew.

Nice and smooth (much smoother than my home builds :)) - but there's one thing that's confusing me.

If I move the left thumb stick left to yaw - the nose of the craft yaws right (stick right yaws left).

To me that's backwards? It is compared to my other two home builds at least :)

The yaw stick move in the naza software channel monitor - left moves R to negative, right moves R to positive (which seems correct).

I've checked under the RC controls - everything is in normal (non-reversed).

Now I know I could probably go to the RC controls and reverse it - but I was a little confused - have I been flying everything else in reverse yaw all this time?

Assuming not - should I be worried about this since its a new unit or should I simply hit the reverse button?

Are you sure you know which set of arms represent the "nose" of the aircraft, and which two are the "tail?" If so, and you have it correct, you would be wise to hook your Phantom up to the Assistant software and check all the settings. See if you can spot any anomalous responses to the stick input in the Assistant and train the receiver/transmitter to be double sure.

PF

Pretty sure.

The LED facing me - the battery compartment facing away.

The assistant channel monitor has yaw on R and is showing negative for left stick and positive for right stick. In the assistant all channels are set to normal (not reversed).

All the other moves behave - throttle up and down, I can move forward/back/left/right just as expected.

It really feels like the yaw simply is reversed even tho not marked so in the assistant.

Not sure what you mean by train the receiver - re-pair it? Calibrate the sticks?

Actually - given that we're talking yaw here - which point is the nose is not really important is it :)

The whole unit turns left when I give it right yaw stick and right when I give it left yaw stick

Duh. Brain fart. If everything moves as expected in the NAZAM Assistant I'm stumped. When you do the motor test, do the propellers rotate as expected???

PF

I am building an F550 at the moment. I upgraded to 4.0 about a day before the new software came out. When I upgraded it reversed all of the sticks in my Futaba transmitter. I have not investigated further but I suspect that there is a bug.

With left stick full left:

With left stick full right

(Edit - managed to get the attachments in the wrong order :))

Attachments

• Left stick full left.png
    Left stick full left.png
    94 KB · Views: 662
  • Left stick full right.png
    Left stick full right.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 696
miskatonic said:
I am building an F550 at the moment. I upgraded to 4.0 about a day before the new software came out. When I upgraded it reversed all of the sticks in my Futaba transmitter. I have not investigated further but I suspect that there is a bug.

It could well be that it is.

If it's a bug then I'll feel safer just rev'ing the yaw for now - and just see what happens next update.

Since the unit is new (arrived today) I just want to be sure I haven't got a flaky unit :)

PhantomFan said:
Duh. Brain fart. If everything moves as expected in the NAZAM Assistant I'm stumped. When you do the motor test, do the propellers rotate as expected???

PF

Not sure - will have to try - but since it flies otherwise fine ?

Have you messed around with your NAZA? or did you start with the original Phantom Default settings?

There IS a simple option in the NAZA under stick calibration to Reverse the controls, you might have inadvertenly done so.
easy fix to remedy.

or reverse in your Tx if you can do so, just to keep things sorted properly.

Nope - everything showing as NORM not REV in the naza assistant.

All I have done is updated to 4.02 and run the IMU calibration.

OK - that was weird.

Now the pitch is reversed. Didn't get as far as testing the yaw either - I took off with the throttle - and then - once it hovers the throttle suddenly started controlling the pitch too.

A bit worried now.

And now its lost TX pairing with the controller. *sigh*

I think I'm going to get the dealer to look at this one.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl