X8W or X8G for Eventual Phantom Pilot

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not a Phantom Pilot yet, but I thought I might get good advice from those who are.

I'm debating between a Syma X8W or X8G as an inexpensive way to get into drones with an eye on being ready to pilot a Phantom on a cruise in November.

I'm drawn to the X8 chassis because it has a good reputation and is about the size of a Phantom. As far as I can see the only substantial difference between the W and G is the W has FPV, where the G has a gimbal mount but no FPV. More than likely my Phantom will have FPV.

Should I get the W so I have the FPV practice, even though it does not have a gimbal mount? Or get the G to have the gimbal mount footage and just expect to feel quickly adept at using FPV?

Thanks!

Chris

Some people recommend trainer drones but the Phantom is easier to fly than any trainer drone because of its technology.
You might be better to save the $$ and use the time to learn how the Phantom works.

Reactions: flpholt
So now - while I debate on Phantom vs Typhoon - back to the original question: A trainer with fixed FPV camera or gimbal?

I flew an X8C for a quite a few months which was the reason I knew I wanted to step up to the Phantom. The Syma was pretty capable for a $75 toy and really taught me the fundamentals of controlling a quad. If you poke around the forums you'll read stories of Phantoms dropping out of P-mode for one reason or another. At that point they'll start drifting with the wind just like a Syma does all the time. As a rookie Phantom flier you'll have a leg up if you have more confidence in your piloting skills. But having said that, the biggest thing the X8C did was simply hook me on flying quads.

I flew an X8C for a quite a few months which was the reason I knew I wanted to step up to the Phantom. The Syma was pretty capable for a $75 toy and really taught me the fundamentals of controlling a quad. If you poke around the forums you'll read stories of Phantoms dropping out of P-mode for one reason or another. At that point they'll start drifting with the wind just like a Syma does all the time. As a rookie Phantom flier you'll have a leg up if you have more confidence in your piloting skills. But having said that, the biggest thing the X8C did was simply hook me on flying quads.

X2

I have had smaller quads and I just got a Syma X8C to practice my "atti" skills. I feel if I'm going to invest $1000 for a P3A and accessories... (Which will be soon) I want to be super confident with my control if things go pear shaped.

That said, I have had three flights with the X8C, and I am overly impressed. I got the two year protection and an extra battery with it through Amazon with same day shipping for less than $85 out the door. Absolutely cannot beat that. The thing flys flawlessly. Great headless mode for panned aerial shots, and a very stable quad. I went ahead and got a set of four Syma orange props through the Wish app for less than $2 for orientation since I got the black version. I got mine for LOS practice. The FPV on these are worthless for more than the occasional framing of a photo. Can't fly these FPV; too much lag. Also, the FPV wifi messes with the RC control, so you'll have better distance without it. Save yourself a few bucks and get the C. Upgrade the camera to a 1080 if you really want to.

I really think this will help with my confidence when I get my P3A, but you really can't lose with the two year protection. It's $8 and if your plan is to step up to a Phantom, you'll get your money back if you crash this one. They refund it in Amazon GC. Apply it towards a DJI. Win Win. Until then, fly worry free!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

85a4cf95f80cafc8c0899e5b014002c3.jpg

Just curious- these props are nine inches long. How long are the P3's?

If you decide to get one, it's really solid out of the box. Balance the props and do this to make it even more stable. It comes stock with 8 props, each have washers in the center. The props have a little play in them when you get it, and you can double stack them to vastly improve the performance

You might want to look at the Soma X8HC. Only difference is that it has an internal pressure sensor and can track and maintain altitude just like the Phantom in atti mode. Really makes an improvement in handling (I actually started with the X8C and switched out the board to convert it to the HC. Really tough bird, I had to fish it out of the trees several times early on!

Reactions: Moose
I have seen the HC, didn't look like it hovered much differently than the regular from some videos I watched, but I believe you. I might switch over some things like you did, but I'll probably just get a P3 at that point.

I would start with a syma (that what i did).Learn the basic of atti which at some point will come handy.Since they are very cheap it pretty fun just to screw around and try to do stunt.After i realize how much i loved this then i bought the phantom that my point of view.

Reactions: Moose
It's amazing to me how well the headless mode on these work, also.

Honestly never tried headless mode is it a lot better then regular mode if i can call it that way

Sent from my SM-N9005 using PhantomPilots mobile app

It works flawlessly. Panning shots over distance is easy.

Try it, you'll love it. Just make sure you pick a reference point when binding the quad and point it that way. Can't go wrong. Fly at will, pan and engage, then do whatever you want.

For a quad in this price range (I purchased mine with a two year protection plan through Amazon and an upgraded 2200 battery for $85 with same day shipping) this is a great deal.

Reactions: flyinghost

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl