X8 Phantom 3

Reaction score
Probably an outrageous question, but here goes.

I have an opportunity to get a p3A AC (no camera) for next to nothing. I own a p3a and p3p.

I got a crazy idea today, if I transplanted my p3a to a custom carbon fiber frame or even f450/550 type of frame. And then rigged the second p3a aircraft to the bottom, swapped the motors so they would work together. Would I be able to get both of the main boards to work as a Team ?? Or is this so far out in left field it's not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No chance of getting them to work together ?? If I don't care to tear down my p3a ?

But you could just swap one of them to a different frame and have fun with that. I don't to tarrot 650 quad out of an p2.
Either way you should pick up the extra for dirt cheap. Or call me I'll take it

I don't know that I will save much if any weight doing a frame swap will I ? It would be awesome to do an x8 p3 and some serious battery mods !! I bet we could get some serious flight times !!

There's no way you could get them to work together. Even if you mirror each corner (far less than ideal) and reroute power and controls to the second set of motors, you would have two sets of ESCs communicating on each channel. The flight controller would freak out.

You would have to completely rewrite a new set of algorithms, hack the dji software, encode all this into the dji software and thats even without talking hardware. Nice idea but its never gonna happen

I was thinking the same thing but hoping I was overthinking it

What if you ran the motors in series with a single set of controllers?

What if you ran the motors in series with a single set of controllers?

That's basically what I suggested as being the only thing close to possible. Mirror top and bottom. And even then the P3 ESCs provide feedback to the controller so you can't double them up. And it's a really bad setup. You'd have to halve the yaw and pitch gains. You really want the controller to control all eight motors individually.

Probably an outrageous question, but here goes.

I have an opportunity to get a p3A AC (no camera) for next to nothing. I own a p3a and p3p.

I got a crazy idea today, if I transplanted my p3a to a custom carbon fiber frame or even f450/550 type of frame. And then rigged the second p3a aircraft to the bottom, swapped the motors so they would work together. Would I be able to get both of the main boards to work as a Team ?? Or is this so far out in left field it's not worth it.

Not sure how two control systems would work together? I foresee a disaster :)

Best would be to use open type of construction with larger motors and bigger ESCs. This way one control will control bigger power.

what you are asking about is called " coaxial "... the only way to do this is with a controller that has the ability to handle 8 motors.. that would be the DJi wookong-m controller WooKong-M - The Professional Multirotor Autopilot System | DJI
the DJI frames will not configure to coaxial configuration due to the way you have to mount the motors back to back... I have one coaxial bird setup with the wookong-M controller and 8 avroto motors... its very very powerful

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
what you are asking about is called " coaxial "... the only way to do this is with a controller that has the ability to handle 8 motors.. that would be the DJi wookong-m controller WooKong-M - The Professional Multirotor Autopilot System | DJI
the DJI frames will not configure to coaxial configuration due to the way you have to mount the motors back to back... I have one coaxial bird setup with the wookong-M controller and 8 avroto motors... its very very powerful

Yes, but then I would lose lightbridge and the beautiful p3 transmitter ... This seems like a much better project for p2's not the p3's due to the integrated boards

well... you wouldn't loose light bridge... you just have to add it to the setup..
DJI LIGHTBRIDGE 2 – Broadcast quality aerial live streaming | DJI

DJI started out as supplier of controllers for RC helicoptors... the controller called the
wookong -H... then they decided to get into the mulit rotor business and released the wookong -M ... and they added components from there over the years... you can still purchase the single item components that are mainly used on professional platforms.
What makes the phantom line of quads so nice is the fact that over the years DJI developed the individual components that are still used in the professional aerial photo world and incorporated all of the components into the phantom/inspire line... and the prices are much cheaper than the pro counter parts... so even if the phantom/inspire line seems expensive they are actually cheap...

WKM, NAZA M v2 and A2 all support coaxial X8. No matter what, it's a total replacement of the P3 body, core PCB including FC, Lightbridge, camera and ESCs. Pretty much using the motors and that's it.

well... you wouldn't loose light bridge... you just have to add it to the setup..
DJI LIGHTBRIDGE 2 – Broadcast quality aerial live streaming | DJI

DJI started out as supplier of controllers for RC helicoptors... the controller called the
wookong -H... then they decided to get into the mulit rotor business and released the wookong -M ... and they added components from there over the years... you can still purchase the single item components that are mainly used on professional platforms.
What makes the phantom line of quads so nice is the fact that over the years DJI developed the individual components that are still used in the professional aerial photo world and incorporated all of the components into the phantom/inspire line... and the prices are much cheaper than the pro counter parts... so even if the phantom/inspire line seems expensive they are actually cheap...

I'm aware of the history of DJI, you kind of took that ball and ran... Come back from left field lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers