X1 Not Calibrating

Reaction score
Trying to add a gimbal pitch control lever to my 1.1.1 Phantom RC Tx.

At first the X1 was completely dead.

I turned on the Gimbal control in the Naza Assistant, then moved the pot (the turny thing in the Tx) back and forth and the Naza wasn't registering it. After some Googling, I found out how to upgrade the Tx firmware using the Phantom 2 RC Assistant. So now X1 does indeed show movement on the Naza when I turn the pot.

So I ran the X1 calibration in the Naza Assistant. Turned the pot left, right, left, right (to the extremes), then clicked "Finish".

Then when I view the slider, the X1 basically stays pegged to the left, and as I turn the pot it jumps all the way to the right (after only about 1/3 of the way through the range). If I continue to turn it, it jumps down for a second and then all the way back up.

It's like the Naza won't recongize the calibration as setting the limits.

My gimbal settings in the Naza are all the default (50hz, 1000, 0, -1000, 20, 20, 100).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Got it!

I had to calibrate X1 using the RC Assistant, THEN calibrate X1 for the NAZA.

Hope that helps anyone who's had the same problem.

You know how for the Phantom you go to the DJI site and download the NAZA Assistant?

Well, if you go to http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-downloads/ which is the DJI support/downloads section for the Phantom 2, there is something called "Phantom RC Assistant Software".

It's like the NAZA Assistant, but it's for the Remote Transmitter.

If you open the back of the 1.1 Transmitter, there is a micro-usb port on the board, and you hook it up to your PC (like you hook up your Phantom to the PC to use the NAZA Assistant).

Does that make sense?

That step was necessary to upgrade the firmware on the RC which then enabled the X1 channel to be live.

TheMattSanner said:
I turned on the Gimbal control in the Naza Assistant, then moved the pot (the turny thing in the Tx) back and forth and the Naza wasn't registering it. After some Googling, I found out how to upgrade the Tx firmware using the Phantom 2 RC Assistant. So now X1 does indeed show movement on the Naza when I turn the pot.

how do you do this is what I want to know. In another thread I installed the lever but it doesnt show the X1 channel as having any movement when I hook it up to the Naza and turn the lever

That was exactly my problem. The firmware of the REMOTE (NOT the quadcopter) needs to be updated to turn on the X1 channel. (It's off by default in the v1.1 remotes.)

You're connecting the PHANTOM/NAZA to the laptop using the NAZA ASSISTANT (NA). That's where you're not seeing any movement, right?

There is a separate program called the Remote Assistant (RA).

Step One: Go to dji.com, and go to the Downloads page for the Phantom 2. Yes, even if you have a Phantom 1. (The RA software isn't available on the Phantom 1 list of downloads, but is on the Phantom 2 list.) Install the RA software.

Step Two: Open the back of your Remote. On the circut board that has the dials (or "Pots" for potentiometer), near the center top of that circuit board is a micro USB port...like the kind you use to charge a non-iPHone cell phone. I used the same cable that I use to charge my Android phone, and connected the remote to my laptop which is running the RA software.

Step Three: Go to the Info tab. If I recall there is a link somewhere with your version, or a version check or something...and it allows you to one-click auto-install the newest firmware to the remote. (Much like updating the firmware on your NAZA through the NA).

Step Four: Within the RA software, calibrate the Remote. NOW you should see the X1 value moving. (You basically turn the dial from one extreme to the other a couple of times.) Once you're done, unplug the remote and reassemble it.

Step Five: Calibrate the Remote through the NA now. Connect your Phantom to the NA like normal, and this time when you run the X1 Calibration, it should work.

Does that help?

TheMattSanner said:
That was exactly my problem. The firmware of the REMOTE (NOT the quadcopter) needs to be updated to turn on the X1 channel. (It's off by default in the v1.1 remotes.)

You're connecting the PHANTOM/NAZA to the laptop using the NAZA ASSISTANT (NA). That's where you're not seeing any movement, right?

There is a separate program called the Remote Assistant (RA).

Step One: Go to dji.com, and go to the Downloads page for the Phantom 2. Yes, even if you have a Phantom 1. (The RA software isn't available on the Phantom 1 list of downloads, but is on the Phantom 2 list.) Install the RA software.

Step Two: Open the back of your Remote. On the circut board that has the dials (or "Pots" for potentiometer), near the center top of that circuit board is a micro USB port...like the kind you use to charge a non-iPHone cell phone. I used the same cable that I use to charge my Android phone, and connected the remote to my laptop which is running the RA software.

Step Three: Go to the Info tab. If I recall there is a link somewhere with your version, or a version check or something...and it allows you to one-click auto-install the newest firmware to the remote. (Much like updating the firmware on your NAZA through the NA).

Step Four: Within the RA software, calibrate the Remote. NOW you should see the X1 value moving. (You basically turn the dial from one extreme to the other a couple of times.) Once you're done, unplug the remote and reassemble it.

Step Five: Calibrate the Remote through the NA now. Connect your Phantom to the NA like normal, and this time when you run the X1 Calibration, it should work.

Does that help?
thanks, ill let you know what happens. I wonder why DJI just didnt ship the phantom 1 with this activated? They obviously put it there on purpose for future generations to activate. You cant possibly hurt anything without buying the pitch control lever. Even then if you installed the pitch control lever you still need to assign something too the channel it in order to use it. Oh well, anything to save a buck

you know what, i am cross referencing my controller with the firmware upgrade post here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... &page=1219

someone posted the files to dropbox.

my controller doesnt look like the one in the step by step pictures included with the procedure. Not sure what version of the phantom I bought initially but I guess I am one of those unlucky few that will not be able to do tilt control

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic