X1 Calibration Issue

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Got my new P2 and H3-3D in last week and got all the firmware updated and everything put together. I've notice that when cycling the X1 slider, the gimble doesn't pan to the max and min. I hooked the P2 back up to the assistant to calibrate it but before I hit start, I saw that when sliding X1back and forth, the "X1 sticks monitor" is behaving "sticky" for lack of a better term. From the left side, only a small control input zips the monitor all the way to the right (even when I've only moved it a fraction of the way on the physical slider.

During calibration, it seems to be more responsive and linear on the monitor, but as soon as I finish calibration, it went back to the previous behavior. Physically, while sliding the X1, the gimbal jumps from straight up to almost pointing down, but it doesn't quite make it flat down. On the way back up, it gets almost facing straight forward (maybe a few degrees shy) and then slowly finishes moving to face forward the rest of the way.

Hopefully this is all making sense.

I'll try to get a quick video of the behavior tonight to better explain what's going on. Has anyone experienced this? I saw in a few posts that the recommendation was to calibrate X1 using the RC assistant first and then the P2 Asssiant after, but my RC assistant doesn't allow me to calibrate X1 (says to use the P2 Assistant) so I'm not sure if I was misunderstanding the fix or what...

Any help would be appreciated.

Just calibrate via the P2 Assistant. You should then find it gives you a nice linear response across the whole range - you can then tweak the gimbal tilt gain down if you want it a little less sharp.

If the X1 calibration in the Assistant doesn't work then let us know and we'll troubleshoot further

Thanks for the reply. I went through the calibration process again with the same results as reported in my original post. I recorded a video this time to show what's happening better:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ZdmObOYq8[/youtube]

As you can see, there is no linearity in the slider, the min and max points seem unable to be reached by the camera even though their shown on the assistant, and the calibration process seems to be unable to fix the issue.

The onscreen instructions for calibrating X1 from the RC Assistant are as follows: "The calibration function is only available for A,E,T,R channels. the U, X2 channels have no need to calibrate and users should use the Assistant Software of flight control system to calibrate the X1 channel."

I'm going to guess that you need to remove the lever and then reassemble it at 90 degrees change on the shaft. I'm assuming that there is a square area on the top end of the shaft where the lever attaches. Changing the orientation by 90 degrees either way might solve the problem.

Looks like there's something wrong with the potentiometer itself... Here's another video I just took showing the direct input into the pot and the feedback shown on the P2 Assistant....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1yjiWTo5rc[/youtube]

As you can see, the monitor is all over the place as I cycle max and min on the pot...

No, still working through it and looking for help...

I'm considering doing the pot replacement and putting a thumb dial on the face of the RC but I'd hate to do all that if its an issue with the board itself and not just the x1 pot. We leave for Peru in a week though so I don't have time to send it back for a warranty replacement...

Solution!!!

I finally found a post somewhere (can't remember i've looked at so many pages the past few days) that addressed the calibrating from the RC assistant even though it says it won't work.... LIES!!! it does work.

From the RC assistant, click the calibrate button and you'll be prompted to calibrate only the directional sticks, before finishing calibration, run the x1 slider back and forth a few times. Then press finish. That seemed to fix it. I don't think I needed to go back into the P2 assistant to re-calibrate after but I did anyway. It didn't seem to have any negative effects.

I still might do the pot mod but maybe after this trip. Now its time to practice flying...

There doesn't seem to be much aerial footage of the Inca Trail itself (just a couple videos where people snuck their drones into Machu Picchu itself). We're hoping to rectify that in addition to some amazon footage, Uyuni salt flats, and of course the Bolivian death road. (Maybe not so much aerial footage on that one since we'll be mountain biking...)

When we get back I'll post some of the footage...

The pot replacement was fairly easy if you can solder, and great results. The small movement of that lever is replaced by a near 360 degree turn of the new pot resulting in smoother and slower tilts.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic