WWI Pigeon Camera---Early DJI Prototype

GadgetGuy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
WWI Pigeon Camera---Early DJI Prototype

Pigeon camera (WWI)

In a flap: Feathered filming
image.jpeg

Before modern drones existed, pigeon mounted cameras were first used in World War I to photograph enemy troops and fortifications.

Homing birds fitted with tiny cameras were released over military sites.

As the birds flew, the cameras continuously clicked away, snapping pictures to be developed and interpreted when the pigeons reached their destination.
Pictured: Real life James Bond gadgets revealed from WWI spy pigeon to surveillance smoking pipe
image.png

The Home Point was also able to be set remotely, to a location other than the "launch point" and the "aircraft" location! (Homing pigeons...) Still can't do that today in DJI GO! "Fly directly from here to Point A, located 8 miles away and land!" Maybe in the next release... :cool:

Very interesting . I have just finished reading a book called Old Soldiers Never Die the account of a British soldier who been in the Boer War and was one of only a very few of his Battalion to survive right through to the end of the WW 1 One of the biggest problems was communication . He was in signals and his men were constantly blown to bits repairing the wire run on the ground back to behind the lines .They used pigeons,thousands of then and the Germans shot them out of the sky whenever they could .A French pigeon was even awarded a medal ! I found myself wondering how you would go with a squadron of Phantoms and some handheld uhf radios.
My grandfather fought in Flanders France in WW 1.He always said he was the only Australian soldier to win the German Iron Cross (medal) .Won it in a poker game ...I still have it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers