WTF Happened Here With My DJI Phantom 3

I did not wait for it. I did hit it it did not work I lost complete signal.
Why didn't you just flip to ATTI mode and fly it home???

Well lots of things happened.
your first low signal at 5000 feet out was a clue you missed
your second low signal was another clue you missed.
you missed hitting rth, and tempted fate by turning off transmitter !
You are also unwittingly teaching your child curse words ( feel free to use by avatar)

I agree with everything you wrote here but the last thing is out of bounds. He's not hitting his kid and if he feels that curse words are okay around kids, it's his choice whether we agree with him or not.

Knocking his parenting was WAY out of bounds and uncool IMO. You can't tell anything from that video on his parenting skills other than he cut the video way short because the child was crying and that he doesn't mind cussing around his child. Not our business. (although he should have edited it for purposes of the forum I suppose) but I am not one to care about cursing myself.

*****EDIT: Oh, I see you lost complete and visual so ATTI switching modes wasn't happening.

Man, I'm trying to stick up for you but that was the LLOOOONNNGGG way of saying the RTH kicked in after the battery was at its low point. Yes, the RTH on the Phantom has a failsafe that will send it back when there is just enough battery to get you home. It does the calculations for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I'm trying to stick up for you but that was the LLOOOONNNGGG way of saying....
I think there is a saying about glass houses and rocks, or pots and kettles or something along those lines. Not everyone has the gift of saying something in a concise manner. He said what he had to say in the way he was comfortable. Yep, we have language rules, but that's the only thing I think was violated here.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Remember that the Phantom 3 Standard has a shorter range than the other DJI craft. Your signal will be lost sooner than the others so it's risky to take it out more than a mile.

The first time I lost a signal (fortunately I was over land), I started power walking in the direction it was last headed - frantically waiving my controller around over my head like a clown. It made sense to me that at some point, I'd regain my signal and not lose my new best friend. After walking nearly 3/4 of a mile, there was no sign of my drone and I turned towards home. How I would explain to my wife that I'd lost my new $800 toy was going through my mind.

It was almost dark when I walked into my yard to see my wife standing in the garage. She told me she'd come out to see what I was doing. She thought it was odd that my drone was sitting in the middle of the yard with its lights flashing and I was nowhere to be found. Trying to be helpful, she'd picked it up and put it on my work bench. When the battery got low, it had apparently climbed to its failsafe altitude and come home; flying right over my head, without me ever regaining a signal.

I've been flying my P3S since Christmas and am to the point where I want to learn what it will do and how far it will go. I've had it up to a little more than 1600 ft and as far out as 6620 ft. Disclaimer - I do not fly above FAA guidelines. I did so once because.......I couldn't figure out how to make it come down. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. When starting from the same location, I've learned that it will go 20-25% further when I'm using an iPhone than when I'm using a Samsung 5 Active Android phone. An iPad will also get greater range.

Needless to say; if you push the proverbial envelope, you'll undoubtedly lose a signal every now and then - well, all the time, actually. I have complete confidence that my drone will come home when it realizes I have no idea where it is.

I have a checklist of things I do when I take it out for a flight - it's a bad habit I developed in the military. I know that if I follow the guidelines, calibrate the drone, charge the battery, allow it to establish its starting point, and not do anything careless, it'll always come home - kind of like my kids did when they were young.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsun and TrevorTron
I make a post about not using expletives in the forum and people reply with more? o_O
Next time I will issue warnings. Lets keep it clean here.
I have to agree with you. Maybe I'm old or corny, but I wouldn't use that language in a video and I SURE wouldn't use it in front lf my child, and, yeah, I'm a dad. Thanks for enforcing some basic rules. Unless the OP cleans up his language, I won't be subscribing.

Reactions: Jaime Ray Vaughn
The first time I lost a signal (fortunately I was over land), I started power walking in the direction it was last headed - frantically waiving my controller around over my head like a clown. It made sense to me that at some point, I'd regain my signal and not lose my new best friend. After walking nearly 3/4 of a mile, there was no sign of my drone and I turned towards home. How I would explain to my wife that I'd lost my new $800 toy was going through my mind.

It was almost dark when I walked into my yard to see my wife standing in the garage. She told me she'd come out to see what I was doing. She thought it was odd that my drone was sitting in the middle of the yard with its lights flashing and I was nowhere to be found. Trying to be helpful, she'd picked it up and put it on my work bench. When the battery got low, it had apparently climbed to its failsafe altitude and come home; flying right over my head, without me ever regaining a signal.

I've been flying my P3S since Christmas and am to the point where I want to learn what it will do and how far it will go. I've had it up to a little more than 1600 ft and as far out as 6620 ft. Disclaimer - I do not fly above FAA guidelines. I did so once because.......I couldn't figure out how to make it come down. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. When starting from the same location, I've learned that it will go 20-25% further when I'm using an iPhone than when I'm using a Samsung 5 Active Android phone. An iPad will also get greater range.

Needless to say; if you push the proverbial envelope, you'll undoubtedly lose a signal every now and then - well, all the time, actually. I have complete confidence that my drone will come home when it realizes I have no idea where it is.

I have a checklist of things I do when I take it out for a flight - it's a bad habit I developed in the military. I know that if I follow the guidelines, calibrate the drone, charge the battery, allow it to establish its starting point, and not do anything careless, it'll always come home - kind of like my kids did when they were young.

I am interested in your observation/theory(?) regarding range difference between Apple and Android products. I can't see how the monitoring device can affect the drone's range, perhaps I am missing something. I have been following the gargantuan "Best Tablet" thread for some weeks now, and relative range has never been mentioned in any of the (regular) Apple Vs. Android opinions.
Having already made one mistake (iPad mini 2 with hopelessly dim display) I am now awaiting delivery of a Samsung Tab S2- I shall be most dis-chuffed if your theory (or is it a discovery?) proves correct.

I have to agree with you. Maybe I'm old or corny, but I wouldn't use that language in a video and I SURE wouldn't use it in front lf my child, and, yeah, I'm a dad. Thanks for enforcing some basic rules. Unless the OP cleans up his language, I won't be subscribing.
I wouldn't bother subscribing.
He's been banned here and several other forums now.
His last video was 17 minutes of offensive language showing the contempt he has for forums and forum members.
He just wants to generate traffic for his videos and thinks being controversial and confrontational is the way.
But he never had any content worth watching.
You'd be better entertained and informed watching those interminable 30 min informercials on one of the TV shopping channels.

Well lots of things happened.
your first low signal at 5000 feet out was a clue you missed
your second low signal was another clue you missed.
you missed hitting rth, and tempted fate by turning off transmitter !
You are also unwittingly teaching your child curse words ( feel free to use by avatar)
Right on gklugie.

Reactions: gklugie
Dont know what happened. But you should probably take care of the kid thats yelling in the back and attend to them before you start recording. You never want your child to think this toy is more important than them. Also no cursing in front of them, thats a bad habit!

Reactions: Monte Olsen
a few things (i didn't watch the entire video(s) - too long):

1) there is a definite distinction between losing RC connection and losing video connection. maybe you lost video connection but still had RC so when you were waiting around, it didn't RTH because you actually still had an RC connection.

2) maybe the tablet lost connection (bad cable, cable malfunction, etc.) but the RC still had connection (check the green light on the RC). in that case, it would also not behave as a lost connection.

3) you should try pushing RTH on the RC if you run into this situation instead of simply turning off the RC.

4) when you turned off the RC, yeah that should have initiated an RTH very shortly. no idea why that didn't seem to work. it's not the best thing to rely on however but it should have still worked.

5) you can also try flying back (pull the right joystick towards you) just in case there is any type of connection that you're not aware of. that's what i would have done.

6) i think you should have started up high instead of moving higher and higher only when connection was getting weak.

I didn't understand why he continued pushing it out further when he started having signal issues in the first place, .

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl