WTF DJI!!!

Reaction score
Problem after problem with these Phantom 4's like Is anyone having camera issues with the latest updates? check the pictures out below. I currently have two new P4's, one came dead on arrival I'll upload a video on that one later and then the other seems to have mad camera sensor issues I think. If anyone has a fix or maybe has had this problem before please share with me. weird thing is that it seems to only do this when taking pictures in RAW format only and even more so when using HDR mode while in the other hand JPEG format pictures are fine with new such issues.

Attachments

• Untitled-1-1.jpg
    Untitled-1-1.jpg
    996.6 KB · Views: 443
  • Untitled-2-1.jpg
    Untitled-2-1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 457
  • Untitled-3-1.jpg
    Untitled-3-1.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 419
  • Untitled-4-1.jpg
    Untitled-4-1.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 376
  • Untitled-5-1.jpg
    Untitled-5-1.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 390
Last edited:
Have you tried doing a factory reset back to out-of-the-box defaults and starting over?

I was having video problems with my P4. I thought I had fixed it but it came back. I called DJI and they told me I could exchange it for a new one. I asked how long it would take, I was told 7 days. I had them send me a shipping label and dropped it off at UPS on Wednesday. Today I checked and it won't even arrive there until next Wednesday. I called them and asked about it and was put on hold until it dropped my call. I called again and asked about it and he just hung up on me. I called a third time and told the guy I was recording the call for a YouTube video. He was willing to talk and told me it takes 7 day to get the P4 to them and it will take them at least 2 weeks to check it out and then they will send my new one. Which will take 7 days to arrive. That's at least month. I am pissed. I paid $1500 for a defective drone and they want to take a month to make it right.

Reactions: PROJEFFREY11
That's DJI for ya. I had an ESC fail on my p3s and it took 3 weeks sending, repairing, and returning. Got it back and they didn't fix it. They replaced one motor and clearly didn't test it before boxing it back up. It went back for 2 more weeks. I was without my drone for a month and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's DJI for ya. I had an ESC fail on my p3s and it took 3 weeks sending, repairing, and returning. Got it back and they didn't fix it. They replaced one motor and clearly didn't test it before boxing it back up. It went back for 2 more weeks. I was without my drone for a month and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
That's what my other new P4 has the "ESC error message of doom" with only half of the motors Turing on while beeping none stop.

Have you tried doing a factory reset back to out-of-the-box defaults and starting over?
Tried it no good. Seems like my local Best Buy has a batch of bad units apparently because the last one I exchange had the same problem only worse, then the one before that had a dead battery and a stuck stock lens filter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chopstix Kid
I was having video problems with my P4. I thought I had fixed it but it came back. I called DJI and they told me I could exchange it for a new one. I asked how long it would take, I was told 7 days. I had them send me a shipping label and dropped it off at UPS on Wednesday. Today I checked and it won't even arrive there until next Wednesday. I called them and asked about it and was put on hold until it dropped my call. I called again and asked about it and he just hung up on me. I called a third time and told the guy I was recording the call for a YouTube video. He was willing to talk and told me it takes 7 day to get the P4 to them and it will take them at least 2 weeks to check it out and then they will send my new one. Which will take 7 days to arrive. That's at least month. I am pissed. I paid $1500 for a defective drone and they want to take a month to make it right.
**** DJI and their ******** support honestly. I submitted a RMA for a lens filter, ND4 because the lens fell off of the housing. That was 4 months ago and the RMA case status still says pending for approval so at this point they just ignored my messages.

**** DJI and their ******** support honestly. I submitted a RMA for a lens filter, ND4 because the lens fell off of the housing. That was 4 months ago and the RMA case status still says pending for approval so at this point they just ignored my messages.
What do you mean the lens fell off the housing? If the ND4 is like the stock UV it is retained by an O ring. If the glass element isnt broken just put it back in the ring and put the O ring in behind it. No waiting for RMA required.

I like these filters as it makes it easy to do a really good job cleaning the element.

What do you mean the lens fell off the housing? If the ND4 is like the stock UV it is retained by an O ring. If the glass element isnt broken just put it back in the ring and put the O ring in behind it. No waiting for RMA required.

I like these filters as it makes it easy to do a really good job cleaning the element.
I can't put it back in I've already tired. This is the second ND filter from DJI that has had This problem only difference is DJI replaced the last one. Seems that DJI has said **** it this time around. I would have to highly disagree to anyone praising these ND filters quality they are garbage and I should had gone for a different brand.

Problem after problem with these Phantom 4's like Is anyone having camera issues with the latest updates? check the pictures out below. I currently have two new P4's, one came dead on arrival I'll upload a video on that one later and then the other seems to have mad camera sensor issues I think. If anyone has a fix or maybe has had this problem before please share with me. weird thing is that it seems to only do this when taking pictures in RAW format only and even more so when using HDR mode while in the other hand JPEG format pictures are fine with new such issues.
These images dont look like a bad sensor. Dimly lit night scenes will be noisy, the exmor is good but that many pixels on such a small area of silicon the SNR is going to be marginal. As for the HDR mode its not the best in my exoerience. You will get much better results shooting a manual bracket and using photishop or a dedicated HDR app for blending.

Try taking a few frames in brighter conditions to see if a bad sensor is really the issue here.

These images dont look like a bad sensor. Dimly lit night scenes will be noisy, the exmor is good but that many pixels on such a small area of silicon the SNR is going to be marginal. As for the HDR mode its not the best in my exoerience. You will get much better results shooting a manual bracket and using photishop or a dedicated HDR app for blending.

Try taking a few frames in brighter conditions to see if a bad sensor is really the issue here.
I believe it is a bad camera sensor your image should never remotely even look like this no matter what lighting conditions the sensor is exposed to. We all know that when it comes to night shooting the Phantom camera fall short due to the amount of noise you get but what you see in these pictures are not your average noise phenomenon it's more than that I mean come on the image is practically pink.

I believe it is a bad camera sensor your image should never remotely even look like this no matter what lighting conditions the sensor is exposed to. We all know that when it comes to night shooting the Phantom camera fall short due to the amount of noise you get but what you see in these pictures are not your average noise phenomenon it's more than that I mean come on the image is practically pink.
Yes. Lets say you had the -EV frame (s) in a HDR bracket of shots that was two or three stops below EV0. The noise will be ridiculous and amplified further in the resultant image. The purple in the shadows doesnt suprise me. If you have issues with images captured in daylight its a different story. These results you have shared arent suprising.

Reactions: PROJEFFREY11
Yes. Lets say you had the -EV frame (s) in a HDR bracket of shots that was two or three stops below EV0. The noise will be ridiculous and amplified further in the resultant image. The purple in the shadows doesnt suprise me. If you have issues with images captured in daylight its a different story. These results you have shared arent suprising.
Same issue even in day light I think I rest this case unless some one comes up with a fix but I don't think that well be likely.

Same issue even in day light I think I rest this case unless some one comes up with a fix but I don't think that well be likely.
Post a properly exposed day time image for evaluation. There are plenty here who will give feedback. There is nothing worse than wondering if your hardware is sub spec. It spoils the experience.

I can take as good or better images with my phone than the phantom camera captures but i cant get my phone in the air. I also cant expect something the size of the phantom to carry a DSLR with good glass.

I was initially dissapointed with the phantom image quality. I came to realise i couldnt expect better from the hardware and now do the best i can within its limitations. I am constantly reminded theimage is more about subject and composition than pixel peeping. Decent size orints can be obtaijed from stitching images in post also. If you have a need for good oerformance in low light the inspire with x5 is at an attractive price point at the moment. Its a lot less portable though. There are always compromises.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4