Wrong Radar Position (Left / right) in DJI Vision App.

Reaction score
Hi, i'm wondering if this is just an issue with the app, or my Phantom or if everyone has noticed this too. And when I say the app, I mean both the iOS and Android versions. When tapping to see the radar screen, The radar screen correctly shows which way my Phantom is pointing, but it will often show that my Phantom is to the left of me / home position when it's really to the right. That can be a little confusing if flying and I loose visual in the sky but still have the FPV working or if the FPV goes off momentarily I may not always know which way to point the controller to face the Phantom or where exactly to look. For example think of the radar as a clock, when flying today I was flying around 1,200 feet away at 300 feet and the radar showed me as being in the 10 o'clock position when I was really closer to the 1 o'clock position. I don't think it always does this I'd have to watch the radar display more, but the fact that it does this at all is not good.

BenDronePilot said:
Hi, i'm wondering if this is just an issue with the app, or my Phantom or if everyone has noticed this too. And when I say the app, I mean both the iOS and Android versions. When tapping to see the radar screen, The radar screen correctly shows which way my Phantom is pointing, but it will often show that my Phantom is to the left of me / home position when it's really to the right. That can be a little confusing if flying and I loose visual in the sky but still have the FPV working or if the FPV goes off momentarily I may not always know which way to point the controller to face the Phantom or where exactly to look. For example think of the radar as a clock, when flying today I was flying around 1,200 feet away at 300 feet and the radar showed me as being in the 10 o'clock position when I was really closer to the 1 o'clock position. I don't think it always does this I'd have to watch the radar display more, but the fact that it does this at all is not good.

Maybe it's because you have to see it from the Visions view (Im not sure) like when you are navigating the Vision. It's when you have the front of the Vision pointing away from you that right is right and left is left, but of course you already know that.

But it is actually quite easy to get it home by the Radar. Just turn the Vision so it is pointing at you on the Radar screen and then just push the right stick forward, you don't have to think about left or right at all.

It happens sometimes, too. Even before flight, on the ground. The Vision will sometimes pointing off the right direction. I usually allow it some time and it would point it right.

What I do usually is double checking on the compass direction on the Vision app with Radar on (on my iPad mini), and compared it to one in iPhone. Sometimes they don't match. Wait a while as, I think, the Vision GPS or the iPad is working it out. A while later they both match. Then move myself around the Vision and see how it appears on the radar. When everything seems ok, then fly.

Not sure if it helps or is answering your problem. Let's try.

Ben, I have the same problem. For a while now I thought it was my phone (Galaxy Note 3) as my phones compass is often out of calibration. But lately I've been careful to calibrate my phones compass, yet the P2V indicator is still off some. In this past Sunday's flight, on my return flight it had gotten just a little too dark for the camera to work well so I was using the radar and just about flew into a house as the P2V was coming in to the left of where I thought it was (based on the radar screen.)

Pull_Up said:
Does this happen when you have the home position on the rader (H in the middle) or the phone position (phone shape in the middle) or both?

I recall it doing it in both. And they're usually one in the same anyway as I generally stay in the exact same spot as when I took off. The radar difference can be in blocks sometime. My Phantom could be up hovering in the air 600 or so feet away from me, but on the radar if I was basing my assumption of where the Phantom was it could be as much as a 10th of a mile east or west of it's actual position. That can make for fun times should you loose VLOS of your Phantom and are wondering where it is. Especially if you're using Home Lock to bring the Phantom back to you expecting it to approach from directly in front of you and it's all the way off to the right by more than a block. Granted it's still coming back to you just not from the position you're expecting.

I thought at first it might be something to do with this:

If your mobile device contains a compass, the top portion of the Radar is the direction you are
pointing. If not, the radar will be oriented due north.

but that doesn't match the symptoms. Mine's always been accurate(ish) thus far on the android version...

I have the exact same problem, and like to go out far. Directionality of even the stock antennas becomes critical. For after market antennas with more gain it will be MORE important. Your problem describes mine perfectly. I was wondering if I'm pointing my tablet 30 degrees to the left, is the P3 always showing to the right 30 degrees (Opposite), or is it just kind off randomly off? I'll be checking.

It messes me up, and I end up just pointing where I think it is, and then moving to the left and right until I get the strongest signal. That is NEVER when the quad is at 12:00 on the radar.

Maybe it's because you have to see it from the Visions view (Im not sure) like when you are navigating the Vision. It's when you have the front of the Vision pointing away from you that right is right and left is left, but of course you already know that.

But it is actually quite easy to get it home by the Radar. Just turn the Vision so it is pointing at you on the Radar screen and then just push the right stick forward, you don't have to think about left or right at all.
THAT WASN'T THE QUESTION.

This thread has been up for a while and I haven't posted because I'm still not exactly clear on what the problem is. It's difficult to imagine that you fly your P2V out so far that you don't know what direction it's in relative to you - especially since you would normally have an FPV monitor displaying landmarks that you would recognize. The words "to the left of you" are difficult to understand since "to the left of you" could be in any direction depending on if you're facing north, south, east, or west. Could it be your monitor device doesn't have a GPS in it? I'm stabbing blindly in the dark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31