Wrong distance displayed

Reaction score
Hello all

Now that i can use the live video feed i can also see the telemetry.
There is only one thing that isn't quit working, distance.
I live in the EU and we use M for distances.
After all systems are a go the distance is way but way far out of control on the tablet.
A distance of 50 displays as +- 1200m.
I am not familiar with feet but i reverted to it and that seems to do better.
I was using V1.04 and deleted that to install v1.039.
Same issue there so back to V1.04.
Problem is still there.
Someone any idea how this can be ?
The distance only changes when the phantom moves so i guess the phantom calculates that.
Ow i had more then 6 satellites, going from 7 to 8. Odd because yesterday i had 12/13 when flying.

Greetings
JP

had the idea off taking the other tablet ( the one with no live video feed and crashing after 1 min ) and see what it displays there. There its all fine. And now your going to tell me its the tablet. I guess not, now that i have a modern one were the app can run upon without crashing its maybe a bug in the app.
Did the test to be sure, approx 50m displays as 906m.

JP

I had a Asus memo pad and the distance was off about 800' , on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini it was fine.

You should check the GPS and compass on your phone/tablet. I frequently have to calibrate the crappy compass on my Note3 in order to have the radar in the DJI app display correctly. I'm not sure how distance is calculated by the DJI app but I assume it's just the difference between the GPS or cell location from the phone and the location of the phantom.

Try checking your tablet/phone with GPS and compass utilities to be sure your location is being calculated properly.

So how is it you can now see the display, as mentioned(live video feed telemetry) ?

Are you now have a vision, or vision +, or are you refering to it in a different manner(lightbridge)?

And also, were you using the Vision + Booster App?

D_Tshudy said:
I'm not sure how distance is calculated by the DJI app but I assume it's just the difference between the GPS or cell location from the phone and the location of the phantom.

According to the P2V user manual V1.18: "Distance: Horizontal distance from home point".

Not a distance from phone location.

OP, have you tried RTH? Where your Phantom goes?

I have a V+ and also the booster app.
I didn't look into the tablets compass nor gps, going to do so in a moment.
But on a other tablet that doesn't show live feed its working fine the telemetry but that one doesn't have compass nor gps receiver.

flyNfrank said:
So how is it you can now see the display, as mentioned(live video feed telemetry) ?

Are you now have a vision, or vision +, or are you refering to it in a different manner(lightbridge)?

And also, were you using the Vision + Booster App?

I have the V+ and i can see live video now because i bought a asus memo tablet.
Live feed runs 640x480 30fps but putted on 15fps, that more then enough for me.
Also i can run the booster app or not, but usually i do run it.
Just the distance isn't working @ all ( still displays wrong )

have the same troubles with my asus memo pad. My only solution - i take my Android Smartphone or my Ipad for flight :)

the first one is to small - the second one a bit to heavy and it takes much longer to fix it with the control - but i don´t want to buy a new tablet only for the vision

i hope for the next update of the android app.

ToThePoint said:
Hello all

Now that i can use the live video feed i can also see the telemetry.
There is only one thing that isn't quit working, distance.
I live in the EU and we use M for distances.
After all systems are a go the distance is way but way far out of control on the tablet.
A distance of 50 displays as +- 1200m.
I am not familiar with feet but i reverted to it and that seems to do better.
I was using V1.04 and deleted that to install v1.039.
Same issue there so back to V1.04.
Problem is still there.
Someone any idea how this can be ?
The distance only changes when the phantom moves so i guess the phantom calculates that.
Ow i had more then 6 satellites, going from 7 to 8. Odd because yesterday i had 12/13 when flying.

Greetings
JP

If the distance is reported wrong, I would be concerned because that distance is supposed to be from it's Home location. Therefore, if you had a problem and it were to try to return to home, where might it go?

Also, if this is a Vision+, look at the camera app and make the little radar larger by tapping on it and then see which direction it says the phantom is pointing away from its Home point and see if it corresponds to where you are located. This might give a clue as to where it thinks it is.

Have you tried resetting the home point by moving the S2 switch fully up and down for a count of 5+ times?

Like I said I had a problem with my asus memo pad distance being off. It showed fine in fine my phantom but off 800 ' or so in display switched to iPad mini or iphone and it was fine. My iPad mini is wifi only.

Mori55 said:
Like I said I had a problem with my asus memo pad distance being off. It showed fine in fine my phantom but off 800 ' or so in display switched to iPad mini or iphone and it was fine. My iPad mini is wifi only.

I can't understand, how display platform could affect the distance between Phantom and home location?

AnselA said:
Mori55 said:

I can't understand, how display platform could affect the distance between Phantom and home location?

That also what i want to know.
But there are 2 others that have this experience with a memo tablet.
It works fine, very fine but just that displayed distance goes to max 2km ( the V+ is maybe some 150m away) and then to n/a.
My guess is that the telemetry send by the V+ is not video but a bit stream that has to be processed into a overlay on the live video true the app.
If some of the bits are miscalculated or there is a mismatch the it displays wrong on the screen.
It can be fixed if the creators of the app investigate that issue, but if they are going to do that are big ?????

AnselA said:
ToThePoint said:
But there are 2 others that have this experience with a memo tablet.

Which Android version is in use?

android 4.2.2
kernel 3.4.5

Mori55 said:
That's the version I had. Returned it and got the mini.

Thats a option i don't have. Otherwise it would be exchanged a long time ago.

Yeah I was lucky I bought it for the plus since I didn't want to the money for the iPad. But it drove me nuts , 10' away and saying 800' or so away .It was still returnable so i returned it.

I have an Asus Memo Pad HD 7 and same problem. Unfortunately I am beyond the return period...

I try the GPS Asus calibrate and see what happens.

Guess you get what you pay for...

:|

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr